• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

A bad day on the range !!

floridaboy6802

Private
Minuteman
Aug 30, 2009
Florida USA
On Tuesday afternoon my buddy called and
said he had a new rifle he wanted to shoot. I had a colt ar that I wanted to get some range time with so I met him on my farm. He had a very nice looking Winchester M70 in 270 Win. The gun was used so I striped it down and torqued
all the screws down and ran a bore snake down the tube.

On the first try “click” ?? Very light primer strike. I pulled the bolt and the firing pin was full of gunk. After getting that cleaned out and put back together I dry fired it a few times.

I loaded up a fresh round out of the Federal box and set up on the sand bags. BUT something just didn’t feel right. I picked the gun up and shouldered it. Pointing it at a berm 25 yards away and pulled the trigger.

It felt like some one hit me on the side of the head with a 2x4. A huge ball of fire comes blowing out of the bolt race ways. All I could do was try to close my eyes. I was lucky. I got 20 or so pieces of metal/power inbeded in my face but only one got in my eye and a bad cut/burn on my left thumb. Thank God I had safety glasses on.

After I felt better I pulled the gun apart to see what happened. The bolt face is std .473. The barrel says 270 win but some one opened the chamber up to 270 WBY mag.

The Winchester did a great job venting the gases out. The whole load from the round went back into the action and it still looks perfect. The stock and bottom metal is trashed tho.

Here are a few pics after I got cleaned up.
img1274645022423.jpg
img1274645110242.jpg

Re: A bad day on the range !!

Glad to hear that you are okay. That's why I always wear eye protection when I shoot. You never know what's going to happen. Certainly, it could have been much worse.

Glad you were OK and your injuries were minimal compared to what they could have been. I'm sure you and your friend are very unhappy campers. I sure would seek recompense from the seller and if bought from the boards let everyone know who the sub species was your friend delt with.

Time to break out the can of "Whup Ass" for that seller.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DesertHK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Glad to hear that you are okay. That's why I always wear eye protection when I shoot. You never know what's going to happen. Certainly, it could have been much worse. </div></div>

Seems like you got off easy. The Winchester action saved your sight.
Always wear ballistic eyepro. I am the worlds worst at grabbing my .22 and getting off a quick shot on a varmint with no glasses, but I will always have eyepro and a spare when shooting high power stuff. I need to use it every time. I use it in the shop too when running the lathe.

You sir are indeed lucky. I would count my blessings. I'd like to see more pics of the gun. Whoever did that work-deserves a visit from ATF,that is if he actually was/is a "gunsmith".

Losing an eye,really takes the fun out of it.

you are lucky i had a similar incident with some explosives a year and some change ago, thank god for good eye pro

Damn. Good thing you had on some eye pro. I'm not defending the seller, but was it a gun store or just a guy selling a rifle? I don't think the ATF would do anything to help your cause. They don't give a shit when a smith goes out of business and doesn't return a firearm...

A bad day... yes... but you got lucky! Send a prayer skyward, someone was looking out for you!

Wow, I would go out and buy a lotto ticket man! then I would go out and beat the crap out of the seller with said rifle!

Dont mean to hi-jack but this seems like an appropriate place to ask: what do you guys use for saftey goggles? Just standard polycarbonate shooting goggles or full-on ballistic eye protection. Im worried my standard shooting goggles may not be up to the task...

Matthais_31

I will get pics up when I get off shift tonight. The gun was bought from a gun shop that I have been doing business with for the last 8 years or so. The owner is a stand up guy. He told me that the gun came from a shop in MI that was going out of business. He also offered to buy the gun back and cover ALL medical bills from this.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RicosRevenge</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A bad day... yes... but you got lucky! Send a prayer skyward, someone was looking out for you! </div></div>

+1!!! Sounds like the BIG MAN upstairs was tryin to warn you all when it just went "click" the first time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: floridaboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will get pics up when I get off shift tonight. The gun was bought from a gun shop that I have been doing business with for the last 8 years or so. The owner is a stand up guy. He told me that the gun came from a shop in MI that was going out of business. He also offered to buy the gun back and cover ALL medical bills from this.
</div></div>

Now that makes it sound like he's stepping up! Good to see. Your decision, but at least now you have choices.

Glad to see you didn't have a grievous injury or lost eyesight. Safety glasses are always a good idea when shooting and yes, the seller of that rifle should have his ass kicked!

Im sure that "click" saved my friends eyes. He was on a bench with sand bag and no eyepro on.

Strickland... Yes Im a lefty.

You were smart by having your safety glasses on. I cringe when I see shooters on the range without any eye protection. And that includes some really good, long time shooters. All it takes is once and your life will change, and not for the better.

Safety glasses - always.

Dude, wishing you the best and a swift recovery,

had it been mee, I would be out buying lottery tickets and a few decent baseball bats,

I have had the same happen with a 9,3x57 a friend bought, being a mauser and the same parent case, the "results" were far less disturbing,

the chamber was reamed out to a x62.

In short the result are just fireformed x62 cases that are short, way short.

Best regards Chris

Reading this post makes me realise how fucking stupid I am not wearing eye protection!!
blush.gif

Glad you came away from it still as God made you!

Question here.....are you saying that they re-cut the chamber to fit a .270 Weatherby shell.....but left in the .270 Winchester bolt? By the way, how did you figure that out? Did you have a .270 Weatherby round on hand to test the chamber fit....or did the seller admit to it?