• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

A Better Barrel Vise Block (DIY)

Strykervet

ain'T goT no how whaTchamacalliT
Minuteman
  • Jun 5, 2011
    Pierce County, WA
    There used to be a gunsmith and a DIY forum so I guess this is as good as any to put this...

Make a long story short, after snapping both sets of vise blocks, watching the barrel spin in plywood and leather scraps, I figured I needed more clamping force and a block that would "give" a little without breaking.

SO I got smart --I got out a 6" piece of 4x4 scrap and drilled a half inch hole through it (the most appropriate size for a 5.56 FN barrel). Then cut it in half through the hole perpendicular to the grain (so it wouldn't snap under force). A little touching up with a file and it was ready to use.

Man, cost all of nothing and it works better than the $100 ones Brownells sells, for sure better than the $40 ones I broke. Because it "gives" under pressure, more contact area and there's more friction due to the rough surface, it actually required FAR less torque on the vise in order to get an adequate clamp. Of course being wood it leaves zero marks on the metal or finish.

Definitely gonna make a few more to have on hand in different sizes.

this worked for me... 15/16 hole I needed to add thin piece of metal between vice jaws and wood because it tried to split.

A friend of mine goes even farther. He will fashion the block of wood as you described. But he then makes it perfectly fit the barrel by skimming a coat of Acra-glass on the wood, using release agent on the barrel. After it has dried and he cleans it all up, then he rosins up the now perfectly fit blocks and clamps them onto the barrel.

I use some brass shim stock between my Viper vice and barrel instead of rosin...

I have a (steel) vise with oak blocks with different sized barrel holes also, and can attest it works great. Especially with some rosin (which Brownells sells). Good recommendation!

I have a (steel) vise with oak blocks with different sized barrel holes also, and can attest it works great. Especially with some rosin (which Brownells sells). Good recommendation!
    I have the same.
    I want to make a lighter and more portable version.

I have made a few of these. If you use something like oak rather than pine it works best. Oak is more dense and won’t try to break. Rosin powder also.
    Should have mentioned that, yeah, something besides pine ideally...

I like a lot of the ideas here to make these better, I'll probably do some of that when I get around to making more but this was literally a "what do I have on hand for a quick solution" job.

I figured on many of you being privy to this already but figured it worth mentioning for those that aren't.