• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes A brand new Schmidt & Bender PMII 5-25x56 FFP with debris or stains of grease inside of it ?

shnipöw

Private
Minuteman
Jul 20, 2020
Hey guys.

I got myself a new S&B scope (according to the header) and I noticed after a few shots that a dot appeared in the scope (it looked exactly as when you get a stone chip damage on windshield) and when it did not disappear when wiping the lenses I was a bit worried. I was thinking that maybe my (also new) suppressor was causing some debris or what not to hit the glass..anyway it disappeared by itself immediately after the next shot.

However it happened again. I figured out it must be from the inside.. since it also appears larger when zooming in. So it seems like some stain of liquid (since it resembles a stone chip damage) in the "FFP space"? What do you guys think? Will it disappear by itself? Or do you think it actually could be a damage? Should I contact a Schmidt & Bender rep?

Best regards!

Thanks guys for quick response.

Sounds crazy that it happens to a 4000 dollars scope haha. I never had this issue with my old vortex or aimpoint.

Happened to me on a 3-27, still waiting on an erector tube from Germany, sucks didn’t get to use it this year.

Cost is irrelevant, issues like these occur with scopes of all makes and manufacturers.

You are right in that things happen to, well, everything. Still, kind of like the OP, I'd think they'd test the heck out of each and every scope at that price and could have caught it before shipping the thing.

Maybe it's just something that had to sit on the shelf a long time for it to materialize too I guess.

You are right in that things happen to, well, everything. Still, kind of like the OP, I'd think they'd test the heck out of each and every scope at that price and could have caught it before shipping the thing.

Maybe it's just something that had to sit on the shelf a long time for it to materialize too I guess.

Warranties exist for the exact reasons above.

Reactions: LG65CM
Agreed, but it sure would be nice if they caught these things before people had to go without their scopes for a month or so at a time while the warranty work is being done.
Right on.

Well, I talked S&B. They were going to pick it up at first, but when I told them that I don't live in the UK they told me to send it to the dealer. Now I just need to find a box to put the package in... :) It will be interesting to see how long it will take until I have it back.

Thanks for all replies.

I had the same grease speck problem and just got my scope back last week. Apparently a batch of scopes made 2-3 years ago used a grease that was more temperature-sensitive than the old ones they used.

Reactions: shnipöw and M77
still haven't sent it back... need to find some good packaging to put the box in..

still haven't sent it back... need to find some good packaging to put the box in..

It's really hard to find the right cardboard box for scopes. Hope I'm not breaking any forum rules, but try doing something like this this. I had to do just that yesterday when I returned a scope to a dealer.

• Love
Reactions: shnipöw
It's really hard to find the right cardboard box for scopes. Hope I'm not breaking any forum rules, but try doing something like this this. I had to do just that yesterday when I returned a scope to a dealer.
Man, that is genius. Thanks.

Reactions: dtma42