• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

A Christmas rant.

Not everyone is a Christian, and those of us not in the amen pew find ourselves a little overwhelmed by the whole end of the year blitz. Generally, it's a holiday season, and we all see it a bit differently. Some Christians, really, some of every religion, get very territorial about things, and a hearty Merry Christmas may just bolster their mistaken impression that only one faith is the true one. I don't begrudge others their beliefs, but I draw the line at being beaten about the head with it.

I am quite happy to report that I have ONLY heard Merry Christmas this year, and not a single “Happy Holidays” pc-correct copout.

Reactions: Sniperwannabee
Not everyone is a Christian, and those of us not in the amen pew find ourselves a little overwhelmed by the whole end of the year blitz. Generally, it's a holiday season, and we all see it a bit differently. Some Christians, really, some of every religion, get very territorial about things, and a hearty Merry Christmas may just bolster their mistaken impression that only one faith is the true one. I don't begrudge others their beliefs, but I draw the line at being beaten about the head with it.

I’m an atheist - and I say Merry Christmas.

Excellent points.
I do try to be respectful of others beliefs and not overdo.
I do get a little wound up through this season though.

Reactions: jungle45 and 1J04
I say Happy Festivus!
Yep! I'll be airing my grievances at the range Christmas day. No, I don't hate Christmas but I spent all of the holidays from Thanksgiving-ish until the 28th of December in Hospice with my mother last year. It's not that I'm not dealing but it was pretty overwhelming and I need to swing the needle the other way so I'm taking a break and still wishing everyone I see a "Merry Christmas!" :)

I’m an atheist - and I say Merry Christmas.

TemptingPinkGrouper-size_restricted.gif

The 'being offended about everything age' just doesn't know any bounds.

I am not a particularly religious person, if you know the history of christmas you will also know that christians just hijacked it :)

I do NOT mean to derail this thread into a history of the holiday, so please don't

The way I see it is as a time to be happy and maybe make someone else happy by giving them a gift or wishing them well. Maybe a Hallmark holiday or as a retail holiday, no matter how you spin it the intentions are good. I don't see any reason to get all bent out of shape because someone says the words Merry Christmas and you are not a christian.

FOR THE MOST PART, no one means any harm from the comment, and they are wishing you well in their own way. Any malice drawn from the comment is only sparked by the rebellion against it that exists for no real reason.

I also do not take any offence when people say to me, we are praying for you. I take it the way they meant it, they mean they are hoping for the best in whatever situation I am in. Anyone (religious or not religious) that would be upset about someone wishing them well needs to check themselves.

We all don't communicate in the exact same way or using the exact same words, but intentions are everything.

I think whoever is delivering the greetings, gets to say what they want. If you say Happy Holidays, I'm replying Merry Christmas. If being nice to one another is grounds for being butt-hurt...

giphy (5).gif

Last edited:
YES, Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
I've said for long before the PC Bullsh***... that when you use you're free speech and all the freedoms we have you start to infringe on the rights of others weather you mean to or not so remember it goes both ways.
Don't be a wuss and suck it up if you get hurt feelings like those have done when you hurt their feelings. We're getting all bent out of shape over nothing, Life goes on

Reactions: nikonNUT
Not to be a dick...but....the entire month of December is not Christmas.
I say a hearty Merry Christmas on the 25th.
Now if I really wanted to be a dick, I'd point out that December 25th for a celebration of the birth of Jesus, is about as Christian as a Mayan sun god ritual.

Reactions: 2ndamendfan
YES, Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
I've said for long before the PC Bullsh***... that when you use you're free speech and all the freedoms we have you start to infringe on the rights of others weather you mean to or not so remember it goes both ways.
Don't be a wuss and suck it up if you get hurt feelings like those have done when you hurt their feelings. We're getting all bent out of shape over nothing, Life goes on
Merry Christmas. And a happy new year!

Reactions: nikonNUT
Maybe I came off wrong, so let me elaborate a little bit. Considering all that is happening here with us, I don't get out much. In truth, nor do I want to. But the few places I've had to go to lately, such as the bank and only a couple specific stores, are happy to have their "Christmas decorations" and hats and such all prominently displayed. Especially the stores that are "jamming the marketing down all of our throats". It is places like these, that are doing all that they can to reap any/all rewards of the consumerism where I "fire it right back" prominently. It seems though, that often there is a response of " and to you too..." or "yeah,,," or "--blank stare--".

Now you AmeriYank's would say that they are "all about the Benjamin's" but up here it's all "Looney's an' Twonies".

You had learned me (Veer) long ago how to greet your fellow brethren properly. And I do such, often to the surprised look on their faces. Following conversations are always cordial and enthusiastic.

It seems that "so many others" beliefs are 'more important' and MUST be respected. (I won't mention the particularly predominant one, but let's just say that it is allegedly "peaceful") And so many things in our culture need to be/have been changed to 'respect' theirs.

At what cost?

I'm not about to relinquish my identity or beliefs just so that I can placate others. If businesses want to 'ride the coat-tails' and pander to my beliefs, then I can say "Merry Christmas" without being ostracized.

But at the same time, I never have, don't plan to today, and never will EVER go into a Synagogue, Temple, Wikiup, Ashram or Hall and push/say ANYTHING like this. That is not my place to do such. Though I don't have any problems going into any of these places, simply to learn, observe, and appreciate the basis of Beliefs.

That better, and clearer now?

Maybe I came off wrong, so let me elaborate a little bit. Considering all that is happening here with us, I don't get out much. In truth, nor do I want to. But the few places I've had to go to lately, such as the bank and only a couple specific stores, are happy to have their "Christmas decorations" and hats and such all prominently displayed. Especially the stores that are "jamming the marketing down all of our throats". It is places like these, that are doing all that they can to reap any/all rewards of the consumerism where I "fire it right back" prominently. It seems though, that often there is a response of " and to you too..." or "yeah,,," or "--blank stare--".

Now you AmeriYank's would say that they are "all about the Benjamin's" but up here it's all "Looney's an' Twonies".

You had learned me (Veer) long ago how to greet your fellow brethren properly. And I do such, often to the surprised look on their faces. Following conversations are always cordial and enthusiastic.

It seems that "so many others" beliefs are 'more important' and MUST be respected. (I won't mention the particularly predominant one, but let's just say that it is allegedly "peaceful") And so many things in our culture need to be/have been changed to 'respect' theirs.

At what cost?

I'm not about to relinquish my identity or beliefs just so that I can placate others. If businesses want to 'ride the coat-tails' and pander to my beliefs, then I can say "Merry Christmas" without being ostracized.

But at the same time, I never have, don't plan to today, and never will EVER go into a Synagogue, Temple, Wikiup, Ashram or Hall and push/say ANYTHING like this. That is not my place to do such. Though I don't have any problems going into any of these places, simply to learn, observe, and appreciate the basis of Beliefs.

That better, and clearer now?

You took my thoughts on the matter quite personally. This confuses me, because we had no interaction in this thread of which I am aware. If I have offended you, I apologize.

Reactions: Seed tick
When founded we were a Christian nation, now with all the people from different countries the newer people to this country don't want to become Americans and really don't want to give up their culture, language and everything else they bring with them.
I can see not changing their beliefs but they could at least learn the language and not mandate that we change because they're here, if they don't want to become one of us like our forefathers had done than the best thing they could do is leave seeing as they have that right as well.
So with that I'll say "MERRY CHRISTMAS" until I'm in the ground, I know you all should be thick skinned by now being a member of the HIDE(LOL).

“She wrapped him in cloths and placed him in a manger, because there was no room for them in the inn.”

People didn’t have room in their hearts for Him then. Sad to say people still don’t have room for Him now.

“Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is Christ the Lord.”

Merry Christmas.

“She wrapped him in cloths and placed him in a manger, because there was no room for them in the inn.”

People didn’t have room in their hearts for Him then. Sad to say people still don’t have room for Him now.

“Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is Christ the Lord.”

Merry Christmas.
Merry Christmas. And a happy new year!

Who gives a rats ass what greeting is given, it is one time of the year someone may acknowledge you when most other times they would not. I'd just as soon it wasn't a cordial greeting, but i'll use either Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays, with a smile of coarse.
I am sure if someone told me to eat a bag of dicks in Japanese, I'd kindly reply with either greeting.
The left wants my guns, my money, they want me to acknowledge lbgt, that pedophiles are normal, etc... I am not going to get too worked up if someone doesn't like my holiday greeting.

The over blown commercialization is out of control. The money aspects have kicked Thanksgiving to the curb.
The fake Merry Christmas greetings/ Season's Greetings days before Thanksgiving. Stores already decked out in full Christmas regalia in early November is sickening. Most of the same people will act like a serial killer for the last "must have" toy or towards someone driving down the street in a road rage.

Yes, to most it's about the $$$, but to others who greet people even during the year saying "HI" or "HEY" it's just their nature to be(uncommon) friendly.
When in Seattle, I lived in a place just north of There and for 8 years tried to get my neighbor to say anything but give me a cold shoulder. There were three who I got to know and the rest were to busy to even say hi to most, of the three they all called my neighbor the commie as he was from an eastern block but didn't care for anyone in the area, his loss not mine.
So my rant is done as I'm not religious but I try to treat others the way I would like others to treat me.
I was spit on when I came home from Nam and it took awhile for me to get over that and at times I still get bothered about some things but it I what it is.
Have a MERRY CHRISTMAS and a Happy New Year. Hhardrock

This is really still something people are talking about? Or is it just the echo chamber, here? Anecdotally, no one seems to give a shit what anyone else says.