• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors A couple holster suggestions please

ykrvak

Sergeant
Minuteman
I just picked up a glock 30 to use as a everyday carry sidearm. I'm looking for a good quality shoulder rig that is comfortable to wear. I'm not nearly as concerned with "extreme" concealed carry as I am with comfort and function. Most of my days are filled with reasonable hard physical labor so something practical under those conditions is preferable. I'm not crazy about having something on my hip because it's always getting in the way, catching on things, and is a bitch to keep river silt out of. (think of it as flour made out of rock) I'm sure there is additional information that might be helpful and relevant to those of you with a good knowledge base and I'd be happy to answer any questions if it makes a difference in what you would suggest. Thanks for taking the time.

Re: A couple holster suggestions please

Shoulder holsters are uncomfortable and belong in the movies. Get yourself a good belt holster and be done with it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shoulder holsters are uncomfortable and belong in the movies. Get yourself a good belt holster and be done with it.</div></div>
+1 forget about shoulder rigs...they are silly and hardly practicle.

I am looking at getting a shoulder rig myself, for extended time in vehicles. Right now I am leaning on going back to Kramer gun leather for a horsehide shoulder rig, because I have been so impressed with the comfort and quality of his work. I have two other horse hide holsters from Kramer a MSP Paddle holster and an IWB. I figure based on what I have seen so far, I can’t go wrong with getting my shoulder rig from them. Would be interested to know what you come up with. Good Luck!

I like running a kydex rig mounted to the vehicle console by the gear shifter. I enter the vehicle, remove sidearm from belt holster and insert into vehicle holster. Before I exit vehicle I re-holster into belt rig. It's fast and efficient. Drawing from body holster in a vehicle is NO GOOD.

I've yet to find a better solution. Maybe if the Original Poster provided some details as to the river silt problem or what he does all day, we could help with a more tailored solution.

I have an El Paso Tanker for my S&W 329 44 mag. Excellent workmanship and very comfortable. I carry it when riding where Mr Griz abounds and as backup when hunting with my "flinter" as you can see in the pic below. I also have my Dad's U.S. Govt issue one that he carried his 1911 (have that too) in all thru WWII in Europe. He was a 28th div. company c.o.. He once told me: "Any officer who wears a 45 in a hip holster, wears any insignia and carries a Carbine is a damned fool".(He carried an M-1 Garand and the 1911 was under his field jacket). He also came back, many in the 28th did not.

2009elk2.jpg

Thank you for all the responses. Perhaps I should rethink my opinion regarding belt holsters. Although I live in the bush I am also along the Yukon river which means there is a fair number of travelers going by from time to time. Unfortunately we've had enough problems with individuals under the influence of various legal and illegal substances stopping in and doing what people in that type of condition do. The reason for purchasing this sidearm was almost purely people oriented not critter oriented. Bears are always a reasonable concern yet you can generally depend on them to act like bears. With people you never really know what your going to get when they step off the bow of their boat. Law enforcement is usually at least twenty four to forty eight hours away if they show up at all so you are pretty much obliged to deal with whatever situation arises on your own. All of my travel is done by either boat, snowmachine, or on foot. I'm often running heavy equipment or my sawmill so I often don't see the people until they are right there. My goal is to be able to have a weapon with me so that when I am surprised by a problem visitor they aren't between myself and my means of defense. It's not that everyone who comes by is a problem, there are plenty of perfectly nice people out traveling the river. There have just been enough issues with violent and mentally unstable individuals that I would feel more comfortable wearing a sidearm. Sorry for the dissertation this is just where the question is coming from. Thank you for the input it is really appreciated.

The gun you can't reach is the one you need. I never leave the house without (at minimum my ancient but as new 38 spec airweight stoked with 125 HPs.) and I live in nowhere, WY. The no print thru pocket holster is a wonderful invention as are laser grips to us blind old farts.
Another + for the Tanker is you can wear it under waders and still get to it. We fish in the same rivers with large furry critters (as I sure you do x10 what we see!) We've had two murders and one child rape in our county in 10 years. One murder solved after 7 years (wacko just shot a girl sleeping in a rest stop), one open and the child rapist (released under a rehab program) was found dead in a ditch (after the snow melted) with two large holes in his head. Still unsolved. No ballistic evidence as they say on CSI: a "through & through".
Stay armed and safe!

If you are going to to iwb and scrap the shoulder holster try a comp tac infidel, they are a plastic holster but very comfortable, and if you are in the river all day, you probably dont want a leather holster. I wear one all day and have no problems. But I have a semi auto to, is your carry gun revolver or semi auto?

It's a Glock 30. I'm not on the river all the time but it will certainly be getting wet, muddy, bloody, slimy you name it. I can promise that. I'm going to do some searching around but could someone recommend a good retailer for the Comp Tac holsters. Thanks.

Just about any comfortable shoulder rig will be made of leather. I wear a Galco Miami Classic with a scandium 1911 commander when I'm doing surveillance in addition to my duty gun for faster access when sitting in the car. It is not the most comfortable rig over long periods of time. But if you think your holster will get wet on a regular basis you'd me much better served by a kydex holster. The leather will just rot quikckly or hold moisture against the gun and rust the few non tenifered parts on your Glock.

There are a lot of very good Kydex manufacturers out there. Blade-Tech, Kytac and Comp Tac are all great. You also might want to look at the Blackhawk Serpa. It's not the same quality but it has a very nice locking method in case your gun keeps getting hung up. Stay away from their mag holders though, they suck.

BTW, Blackhawk doesn't make one specifically for the 30. What I do for guys is get the 21 holster and cut off what is below the 30. Dress it up a bit with a razor and poof, Glock 30 holster

The blackhawk is a cheap piece of crap. My personal preference is Comp-tac.

Eagle industries used to make a shoulder/chest type rig that was designed for runners etc. It completely conceals the handgun and protects it. You might check there.
It looked like a binocular case.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BKSSNIPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Eagle industries used to make a shoulder/chest type rig that was designed for runners etc. It completely conceals the handgun and protects it. You might check there.
It looked like a binocular case. </div></div>

Interesting, I'll search around and see what I find. Thanks.

Check out Nevada Gunleather. They have 3-4 shoulder rig options and can customize some of these (or at least they used to) to suit some of your individual preferences:
http://www.nevadagunleather.com
I bought a rig similar to their Border Patrol model, had them customize it somewhat, and added a quarter flap to the holster....holster, flap, belt, and ammo pouches all touched up in a modified basketweave.

You can try an Uncle Mike's shoulder holster. They are reasonably priced, won't be adversely affected by river water, are infinitely adjustable for comfortable fit, and durable. I carry an 8 1/2" S&W 629 with an unfluted cylinder (a heavy gun), a Colt 1911, and some S&W Mountain Guns in this manner when hip holsters would be a hassle--like going through thick woods, or for concealed carry. They aren't molded so they'll fit a lot of guns, and if you HATE it, you won't be out a lot of $$$. Good luck in your search............

go with a Blade Tech IWB or UCH series. in my experience they ride closer to the body than the Comp Tac and don't snag when you stand up or move around. at least, i've never had mine snag. even in the kind of thick brush you only find in a southern jungle. good luck in your search, finding the perfect holster for ones needs is one of those try as you go type of PITA.

If you do go with a IWB check out Tucker Gun Leathers, they offer many different options and are very comfortable.