• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing A couple new shop tools

jacq220

Sergeant
Minuteman
1024111358.jpg

Wiltonvise.jpg

Picked up the wilton vise for 70 bucks, and unfortunatly paid alot for the porter cable bench sander, but its 1hp oil cooled and runs on ball bearings. should be alot nicer than the ryolbi i use at the other shop. paid 175 for it. worth it to have the two independant sides to make fittin pads a bit easier.

Re: A couple new shop tools

I think you will really like that vise for general work. I've used that style for 25 years in the shop. Especially good for stocking as you can angle it however you want. Just don't do really heavy working or really big hammers- they do break (don't ask how I know this). Although the new ones like yours have a radius at the end of the ram. The early ones had a square corner which made a good stress riser. I think over the years we broke four of em just in normal work.
I milled the teeth off the jaws with a carbde end mill and use either copper, cork or lead padding. And throw the pipe jaws away-they're useless.

Keep the screw well greased and it'll stay smooth forever.

Nice vise! I just picked up an old Wilton bullet vise off of craigslist last week. It was a little bit neglected when I got it but now it looks much more loved. Spent 5 hours just disassembling and cleaning, then primed and put on a few coats of grey enamal. Wilton makes a great vise.

Used it for a few things today, regrinding a few screwdriver bits, sanding a plastic cup down to make a dip tray for cutting oil for the mill, and sanding some anealed tool steel i am turning into a knife. handled it all like a champ. its a bit noisy, and the circular sanding disk isnt running PERFECT it has a few thousands of wobble. but overall i like it. it never bogged down once even when i was aggressivly applying pressure w/ the steel.

the biggest downfall though is its noisy. at least noisier than what i am used to using, but after a few minutes i just got used to it. then i found myself enjoying the noise when i turned it on because i knew i had a better piece of equipment than the gunsmith i work for.

i dont think i would pay 175 for it though. over 100 is a fair price, but i would think it should be priced closer to 125-150 tops. if you got the money go for it having the two stations seperated is well worth it.

I have one of those sanders in a different arrangement and its great. The elongated one is flat with a stop for holding things steady and the circular one is on the right with and adjustable angled plate to sand at different angles. Its a pretty valuable tool to have, as well as any good vice.

You could probably true the sanding disk with the edge of a mill file laid on the guide table, and wear yer eye protection. Lots nicer than the Sears 6x48 sander I bought from Numrich gun parts co. 15 years ago for $20. An exhaust fan/dust collector with a flex hose and sheet metal scoop under the belt is a must have. I made leather faces for my vise from sole leather scraps, and glued rubber magnet strips on the leather backs to hold them in the vise jaws.

I will make my own vise jaws as i have a preferance. they are like this

0915091435.jpg

can you elaborate on trueing the surface w/ a file? sound like a good idea but i want to be 100 percent sure of what you are saying before i take a few swips.