• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing A couple of FUNKY coyotes

esorensen

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 13, 2008
Broomfield, CO
I haven't had the best of luck with good looking coyotes this year. I got three great badgers and a beautiful bobcat, but the coyotes, not so much. Here's a couple of the funky ones. The first picture is one I got last month that was around 500-550 yards or so. The second picture is one I got a couple of days ago, and he was at 222. I think the only medicine that will fix this kind of ugly is a VMAX.

I was able to use the AR10T in .243 with an 87 VMAX @ 3200 fps for the first, using the VH reticle in the Leupold. The second one I used my wife's duty weapon with a 55 VMAX @ 3100 fps using the JPJ1 reticle in her USO SN4.
117.jpg

CellPhonePics522.jpg

Re: A couple of FUNKY coyotes

Nice work, clean out the mange, we're already having a big comeback from the bug... i'm seein more dogs than i have in the past 10yrs!!!

Is Mange an area thing??? Up here in the PNW I have yet to see a dog that didn't have a full coat. I'm certainly not complaining that's for sure but I'm just curious if it's more of a area thing or what....

Nice shooting but you're right, those are some "FUNKY" lookin doggies...

I'm not sure about the dispersion of sarcoptic mange, it is a mite that causes the hair to fall out I believe. I shot a good number of them last year that had none. This year, the exact opposite. I just don't know how they are able to survive. It was around -20F for more than a few days this winter. I just have NO clue as to how they are able to stay alive.

As populations increase, so to communicable diseases/pests.

Our mange runs in a cycle here. We have COLD winters with long stretches of subzero temps (just won the worst weather city in the country award) and our severely infected animals do die from exposure (further south infected animals almost have to get a secondary infection to die). We usually see it on a regular level locally one out of every 5 or 6 years. Than it will be only sporadic.

Go down the road an hour, and their "cycle" may be at a completely different stage.

Every couple decades, the mother epidemic comes in statewide.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ffl medic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm not sure about the dispersion of sarcoptic mange, it is a mite that causes the hair to fall out I believe. I shot a good number of them last year that had none. This year, the exact opposite. I just don't know how they are able to survive. It was around -20F for more than a few days this winter. I just have NO clue as to how they are able to stay alive. </div></div>

Dens of some sort maybe?

As much as I enjoy shooting these dang things I certainly have to have nothing but respect for their ability to survive. Pound for pound coyotes have got to be one of the most durable and tough animals on the planet!!!

most mangy coyotes stay alive in bail yards that ranchers have sitting around, at least that's where i tend to see them hanging around up here when the snow hits. But there are definitely pockets of mange around the state. I agree with kill_goose.

samson, either a coyote or a hog. but pound for pound, you're probably correct.

xdeano

Good shooting. Not sure if its mange or not but it looks like they needed thinning out.

Mange you have to love it. I did notice your coyotes did have a second thing in common. They both had holes in them. Nice. That is how I like my coyotes.