• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing a couple of my pistols i did

ProImaging

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 6, 2011
Alabama
www.proimagingonline.com
a FN Herstal
DSC_0001-2.jpg

Old cheap .45ACP
DSC_0109.jpg

Re: a couple of my pistols i did

Not Advertising. Wouldnt sell anything without going through the proper channels first. AZ Precision, it's a Paint and Dead Flat clearcoat, About the same as Duracoat but designed for Fire Arms.the Patterns etch themselves into the basecoat. i do this in my shop at the house in my spare time mostly just mine and my son,s guns so far. working on my brother's 300 win mag at the moment.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ProImaging</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not Advertising. Wouldnt sell anything without going through the proper channels first. </div></div>
So your homepage listing firearms pricing and having pictures of these same firearms finishes isn't marketing eh?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ProImaging</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i do this in my shop at the house in my spare time mostly just mine and my son,s guns so far. </div></div>
Unless you have an FFL, linking your profile to a firearms finishing website that advertises where to send guns to for finishing may not be the wisest thing to do. If you are an FFL, see above.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ProImaging</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not Advertising. Wouldnt sell anything without going through the proper channels first. </div></div>
So your homepage listing firearms pricing and having pictures of these same firearms finishes isn't marketing eh?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ProImaging</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i do this in my shop at the house in my spare time mostly just mine and my son,s guns so far. </div></div>
Unless you have an FFL, linking your profile to a firearms finishing website that advertises where to send guns to for finishing may not be the wisest thing to do. If you are an FFL, see above. </div></div>

Or maybe he paints while you wait...just saying.

Staying the night is not a factor. There is no valid FFL for his name or business at that address. He is advertizing and showing examples of activities that constitute gunsmithing without a license. Not the only one on this site. Get a license.

the byline is kind of deceiving. looks like joe blow in his garage, not a full blown company with a website....

If someone ships him a firearm or drops one off for finishing and it remains at that location past the end of business that day, an FFL is required and that acquisition is required to logged in. I think I had a customer send off an AR for coating a while back to someone, only to find out he didn't have an FFL.

Let's just do that. From the ATF website.

ATF FAQ Gunsmithing
<span style="color: #3333FF">Q: Is a license needed to engage in the business of engraving, customizing, refinishing or repairing firearms?
Yes. A person conducting such activities as a business is considered to be a gunsmith within the definition of a dealer.

[27 CFR 478.11]
Q: Does a gunsmith need to enter in a permanent “bound book” record every firearm received for adjustment or repair?
If a firearm is brought in for repairs and the owner waits while it is being repaired or if the gunsmith is able to return the firearm to the owner during the same business day, it is not necessary to list the firearm in the “bound book” as an “acquisition.” If the gunsmith has possession of the firearm from one business day to another or longer, the firearm must be recorded as an “acquisition” and a “disposition” in the permanent "bound book" record.</span>

By Force_Multiplier <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Pointless

Edit Reason: who cares, but I still say you don't NEED an FFL for a hobby, even </div></div>

Not really. He clearly is not occasional or a hobby. In his business decription he is advertizing gun refinishing and has an entire pricing page devoted to it and further samples of his work on his page. This is text book gunsmithing. He has no FFL on record and attempting to break the law is just as serious and carries the same penalties as doing it. Any violation of the law whether convicted of it or not is grounds to revoke or deny an FFL. If someone has shipped him a gun from out of state and he shipped it back now we have multiple felonies. We are talking about record keeping violations and unlicensed firearm transfers. It doesn't look good for his future. I hope he has a good attorney and some really nice ATF agents in is area.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">He has no FFL on record... </div></div>at that address, as noted earlier.

Just to play the other side of the net for a moment.

Let's say that this is his contact address and if you set up to send him a gun he gives you his shipping (FFL) address that has a valid FFL?

I use two addresses, one that specifies where my business records are available (a State Government thang) and one where my FFL (will) reside.

They are different addresses.

Of course for this sort of advertising <span style="font-weight: bold">I would NOT</span> use my home address, but the FFL address.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hired Gun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Let's just do that. From the ATF website.

ATF FAQ Gunsmithing
<span style="color: #3333FF">Q: Is a license needed to engage in the business of engraving, customizing, refinishing or repairing firearms?
Yes. A person conducting such activities as a business is considered to be a gunsmith within the definition of a dealer.

[27 CFR 478.11]
Q: Does a gunsmith need to enter in a permanent “bound book” record every firearm received for adjustment or repair?
If a firearm is brought in for repairs and the owner waits while it is being repaired or if the gunsmith is able to return the firearm to the owner during the same business day, it is not necessary to list the firearm in the “bound book” as an “acquisition.” If the gunsmith has possession of the firearm from one business day to another or longer, the firearm must be recorded as an “acquisition” and a “disposition” in the permanent "bound book" record.</span></div></div>

The actual definition of "engaged in the business" in the CFR is a little more instructive than the BATFE's FAQ:

"Gunsmith. A person who devotes time, attention, and labor to engaging in such activity as a regular course of trade or business with the principal objective of livelihood and profit, but such a term shall not include a person who makes occasional repairs of firearms or who occasionally fits special barrels, stocks, or trigger mechanisms to firearms;"

I'm sure the OP can figure out if he needs a license or not.

A hobby, really? 1/3 of his website is devoted to firearms refinishing. <span style="color: #000099">business with the principal objective of livelihood and profit</span>

<span style="color: #000099">27 CFR 478.50 - Locations covered by license </span>
FFL requirements are a license for each location where the business is performed.

Public listing of current FFL's

Nothing for his name, business name or business address showing. The list is only current as of June so he most likely has a new one. He looks to do a nice job. The question was brought up and what triggered me was someone misquoted the law. It needed clarification. It's been clarified.

Wondering why he has been silent on this point? Don't matter to me. I'm done with it. I got squirrels to tend to. see ya!