• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

A&D FX120i labscale reloading upgrade with V2 auto trickler review.

Aimsmall55

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 23, 2010
Madison, Ms
Recently while searching through the internet I found a device that plugs into your A&D FX120i lab scale and turns it into an actual powder thrower. It's called the V2 Auto Trickler and it consists of a motor driven powder thrower, a connector cord for the thrower to connect to the scale, a few plastic "bands" that are used to give turn the trickler motor, a rubber tare holder for your powder pan, and a slide that adjusts how fast it actually throws your powder.
Heres how it operates. You use a scoop such as the yellow powder scoops that come with Lee die sets and get your charge weight set on the A&D. You then press a set button on the scale and it then programs your charge weight into the part of the scale that throws the powder.
After that you simply throw or pour ( using a charge master or a manual "scoop") powder onto a pan and pour it on to the A&D scale. It then throws the final charge in about 2 to 3 seconds. So if you're wanting to throw exactly 44.0 grains of powder you would place 42.5 or so onto the A&D and the trickler would automatically throw the remaining 1.5 grains and be within 2/100's of a grain.
This piece of equipment is nice if you're looking for exact tolerances on your charge weights however it does take a little more time because you're having to add to the pan that situated on the A&D scale. However, if you're looking for something that gets you dead nuts on your weight it's bad ass. They also make it for the Sartorious.
Heres the website.
http://www.autotrickler.com/index.html
Ive used it to load about a thousand rounds so far and have not had one issue with it.

Attachments

• photo53694.jpg
    photo53694.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 30
  • photo53697.png
    photo53697.png
    111.3 KB · Views: 30
I have had the V2 trickler running for some time now and am probably close the 1,000 round mark as well. I dispensed with the lee scoops shortly after getting it and now use a RCBS thrower to throw directly into a stainless steel shot glass.

I have had the V2 trickler running for some time now and am probably close the 1,000 round mark as well. I dispensed with the lee scoops shortly after getting it and now use a RCBS thrower to throw directly into a stainless steel shot glass.

Ryan can you elaborate on "dispensed with the lee scoops". If I understand you don't worry about using those scoops and you just throw a charge that is close into a shot glass and then put that on the scale then let the auto trickler finish the charge. Was using the scoops too much of a pain? I am thinking about getting the A&D and auto trickler setup.

Ryan can you elaborate on "dispensed with the lee scoops". If I understand you don't worry about using those scoops and you just throw a charge that is close into a shot glass and then put that on the scale then let the auto trickler finish the charge. Was using the scoops too much of a pain? I am thinking about getting the A&D and auto trickler setup.

I was just saying I no longer use the lee scoops for the initial charge.

If you watch the videos on the Autotrickler website you will see that he uses a lee scoop to add his initial charge to the pan and then the unit kicks in to finish up. I have things set up where I put the shot glass on the scale, the trickler gets going and then I throw the charge directly into shot glass.

Hey Ryan, I love my FX120 and V2. I'd like some pics/tips of how you throw directly into the glass on the scale. I've been thinking on that myself.
I throw into a teaspoon measure and dump it after the V2 starts and would like to remove that step to throw directly onto the scale.
TIA

Been running one on a Sartorius 64 for several months now and works as advertised. Using a Harrell measure for the initial fill on the pan then trickle up. Cut my reloading time considerably.

I'll be running a A&D FX300iN. Just ordered the autotrickler and use it in conjunction with my 2 Chargemaster set at a high feed rates and see how it all works out. Very exciting stuff.
ill keep you all updated on my Chargemaster settings as I tune it up. Should be some fun experimentation

Last edited:
If anyone is looking for a great scale for their auto trickler, I have an extra used A&D FX-300iN, this is he trade legal (better) version of the 300i. $425. This will get you up and running including the auto trickler for less than this scale alone sells for

Thanks for posting. Been waiting for someone to make this, glad he did as its outside my ability to do. I was happy with my Dandy trickler and GD503 but this will take it to a new level.

Just got a FX120/V2. Used it for the first time this morning, and am really impressed. I have run a hot rodded Chargemaster 1500 for years, which works really well. But the FX120/V2 is faster, the scale more stable, accurate and resolves to .01 grain. Throw a charge that is 2-3 grains light, and the V2 tops it off in a few seconds to within -.02/+.04 grains.

I invested @$800 US.

Just got a email from him there are some defective boards on the newest batch. If you ordered one new in the last few months, and your board is a possible victim, you will have received the Email as well. Everyone, don't freak out it's a simple fix and he sends you a new part.

Just got a email from him there are some defective boards on the newest batch. If you ordered one new in the last few months, and your board is a possible victim, you will have received the Email as well. Everyone, don't freak out it's a simple fix and he sends you a new part.

Yeah, got the email. I am going to leave the unit running, and see if I can get it to fail. It is a simple fix, and Adam will eat the cost.

This sounds awesome.
But I just bought two Chargemasters -- will they be completely redundant and pointless after this?

If anyone else has a auto trickler compatible scale they'd be willing to part with please let me know! Thanks!

Something to keep in mind;

As an example, if you are throwing/weighing a 39.50 grain charge of RL-15, the individual kernels are 0.02 grains (average). That means there are 1,975 kernels (average) of powder in each 39.50 grain charge. My FX120i resolves to 0.02 grains. To be really picky, you could say it resolves to +/- 0.02 grains, which would mean either; 1 kernel low (39.48 grains), spot on exact (39.50) grains, or 1 kernel high (39.52 grains).

When I throw 39.5 grains of RL-15, the Autotrickler usually hits 39.50 grains exactly. Sometimes it goes over by .02 grains, or 1 kernel. If it goes over, I just remove 1 kernel from the charge and it's exactly 39.50 grains. The important point is that 1 kernel (over or under target weight) of powder represents an error of 1/1,975, or .050633 percent. I have seen posts where the FX120i has been criticized for not being more exact, or higher resolution. From a practical standpoint, I don't agree with that criticism.

I'm pretty confident that I would not suffer from (shooting) accuracy problems because I was 1 kernel high (or low) from "nominal". I sure as hell am not going to be cutting kernels in half, or in quarters to "try and improve my accuracy". This is one aspect of my reloading that I doubt I will ever "upgrade". I can't imagine that any more money spent would have any positive impact beyond what I am already doing.

I have used a Redding 3BR measure for 25 years and it has worked just fine. About a year ago, I decided I was going to buy a "nice/good" measure, so I bought the Harrell's. Beautiful piece of equipment. However, I did a side by side comparison between the 3BR and the Harrell's and found no real difference in accuracy or consistency of thrown charges. They both had instances of errors of as much as 0.30 grains. Now I will admit that with the click/detent mechanism in the Harrell's, it would probably be more "Repeatable" when going from one charge weight to another, then back to the original charge weight. I ultimately sold the Harrell's because I already had the 3BR, it did everything I needed and it was no less accurate than the Harrell's. Don't get me wrong, the Harrell's measure is top drawer stuff. If you don't already have a measure, the Harrell's would be a great first choice.

When you look at pretty much all measures, they are just an adjustable cylinder. In my opinion, there is no real difference in accuracy capability from one to the other. Because of the 0.30 grain error/variation described above, I purchased the FX120i and the Autotrickler. Running that setup, I am 100% confident of the exact weight of every round in my ammo box when I go to the range. I know that if there is an error from round to round, it is 1 kernel at most, not 0.30 grains, or somewhere in between.

Last edited:
Great review. Thansk

I suggest moving to reloading forum

Wow! I'll be looking into this soon! Where is the best place to purchase both units?

You can purchase them right from the autotrickler.com website, the price is $400 for the combo. I got the fx120i off Amazon and I'm still waiting on the thrower/trickler combo to ship but based on others who have gotten them, it should be soon.

If anyone is looking for a great scale for their auto trickler, I have an extra used A&D FX-300iN, this is he trade legal (better) version of the 300i. $425. This will get you up and running including the auto trickler for less than this scale alone sells for

this scale doesnt resolve in grains though does it?

I got my auto throw in a week or so a go. Did the first real test with it 2 nights ago. Ran 41 375 ruger cases with 82 grains of r17 in 14 minutes. Had 2 .02 under and 3 went .o6 over. Did have one real short charge from powder bridging so it took the trickler a bit to get up to weight, Then the next went way over, but was easy to tell as the trickler didnt' run at all.

I have been running the Auto Trickler since Adam put together the first hand full of prototypes. I upgraded to the new trickler V2 when he offered them and he upgraded my electronics to the latest version with the slider on the back at the same time. When he sent me the email about the auto throw I quickly signed up for the per-order, it arrived early August like he said it would but I didn't get a chance to try it out until this week. I will say this is the best combination yet, he really has everything working great on this and it saves so much time. I used to hate measuring powder, I never had a charge master but did have a PACT scale with the power dispenser and it took forever to get 50 loads measured. All in all this and a Giraud case trimmer have made my reloading much faster and more enjoyable, thanks Adam. Now if I could get him to put together a plastic storage case for the whole setup with cut out foam that holds the scale, trickler and auto thrower that would be great.

Last edited: