• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

A day of ups and downs

Miller Tyme

Private
Minuteman
Aug 31, 2020
Wife and I got up early this morning to go look at a very rare sniper rifle about 2 hours from home, and while it was everything I had hoped for the seller and I couldn't agree on a price so we headed home with a stop off for Lunch. About 15 minutes after we arrived home the mail lady rang the doorbell and needed me to sign for a package. I couldn't think of what it was but after signing for it I saw the shipping label, and it was my ART II scope and mount from Iron Sights Inc.. I had forgotten all about ordering this early last month so off to the shop I went to put it on my Mid 80's Springfield M1A. I have to say I am quite please and hope to get it to the range and get it sighted in to at least 200yds.

Oh and it looks nice with the M40
20210206_150148 (2).jpg

20210206_150213 (2).jpg
20210206_150235 (2).jpg
20210206_150303 (2).jpg
20210206_150342 (2).jpg

Wife and I got up early this morning to go look at a very rare sniper rifle about 2 hours from home, and while it was everything I had hoped for the seller and I couldn't agree on a price so we headed home with a stop off for Lunch. About 15 minutes after we arrived home the mail lady rang the doorbell and needed me to sign for a package. I couldn't think of what it was but after signing for it I saw the shipping label, and it was my ART II scope and mount from Iron Sights Inc.. I had forgotten all about ordering this early last month so off to the shop I went to put it on my Mid 80's Springfield M1A. I have to say I am quite please and hope to get it to the range and get it sighted in to at least 200yds.

Oh and it looks nice with the M40View attachment 7548508

View attachment 7548509View attachment 7548510View attachment 7548512View attachment 7548513
What was the “very rare sniper rifle” you went to look at? Just curious..

So why, out of nothing but curiosity, the lockbar sights on an M1A?

Oh and it looks nice with the M40
Yes, it is interesting how the green anodized rear ocular of the ART II scope sort of matches the look of the repo Redfield M40 Commemorative scopes.
I have zero woodworking skills, but reading about different refinishing techniques on the M14 forum, I was able to refinish several USGI M14 stocks. I used the teak oil wet sanding method for these stocks.
Well, I think you did a very nice job on those birch stocks. The bottom one is really an outstanding looking piece of wood.
So why, out of nothing but curiosity, the lockbar sights on an M1A?
I think the serial number range of that rifle (32k) puts in late 1984/early 1985. At that time the owner of SAI, Bob Reese, would use whatever surplus parts they could find and purchase in bulk, and M1 Garand sights with lockbars are commonly seen on some of those older SAI rifles from that era. He came into a lot of surplus M14 parts the 2nd half of 1980s, as M1As from that area and into the early 1990s are almost all USGI M14 parts. I have seen Italian made "PB" and "BR" rear sight parts as well on some SAI M1As from the 1990s. So rear sight parts varied over time in the 1980s-1990s, but about 20 or more years ago most of the rear sights transitioned to commercial parts, as the supply of USGI parts had dwindled by that point.

Last edited:
Reactions: Miller Tyme
What was the “very rare sniper rifle” you went to look at? Just curious..
I would rather not say at this time as it has been flying under the radar and I am still not completely out of the running. But if it sells I will post it up.