• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

A decent cheap spotter?

parkze17

Private
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2011
Parker, PA United States
I am looking for a low budget nice spotter. I really dont want to spent much more than 150 - 200 bones. I was looking at some barskas the other day but only had maybe 100 feet to look in Dick's Sporting Goods. Bastards wouldnt let me take it outside and try it. It was a Barska 20-60X60 with angled eyepiece. Are they ok spotters? Any suggestions would be welcome.

Re: A decent cheap spotter?

If you can get up a little over $300, I'd go for the Busnell Excursion. I have one with the mil-dot reticle. Great value for the money.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sunnyside Scott</div><div class="ubbcode-body">PM sent
</div></div>

If you have any advice on a cheap spotter, please PM that info too. I'm also looking for what OP is looking for.

I have one of the 100mm Konus spotting scopes that I got off eBay back when they were doing Bing cashback. It's not terrible for the money.

It's not on par with expensive glass obviously, but I've used it out to 600 yards so far. Obviously you're not going to be seeing any holes in a target out past a couple hundred yards, but it does the job well enough for someone to get you on target.

I did a lot a research a few years back. The Nikon Prostaff at about $500 I believe was the best bang for the buck. I think this was the website: http://www.optics4birding.com/Reviews.aspx?gclid=CKnjm87nlagCFape7AodmxH8Cg
but it could have been another birdwatching website with reviews.
This being said I ending up going with a used luepold mark 4 for around $950.
In reguards to seeing bullet holes, depending on the mirage you can usually only see 200-300m reguardless of power or clarity of the scope.

There are some real nice old spotting scopes out there if you look hard enough. I own an old Balscope with 15X eyepiece. Well built, good resolution, and under $100. I also got a good deal on an Argus 20X and tripod. It's basically a civilian M49 without the collector price.

Konnus is the best bang for your buck.
You regret getting a crappy one.
I've ended up using my Nightforce to spot for other shooters because my spotter was difficult.

I don't have $3K to spend on a spotter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Parkze17</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am looking for a low budget nice spotter. I really dont want to spent much more than 150 - 200 bones. I was looking at some barskas the other day but only had maybe 100 feet to look in Dick's Sporting Goods. Bastards wouldnt let me take it outside and try it. It was a Barska 20-60X60 with angled eyepiece. Are they ok spotters? Any suggestions would be welcome. </div></div>
When you're talking about optics, most of the time you get what you pay for. Such is the case with spotting scopes. Barska is dog shit, plain and simple. If you were to double your budget you could get a 15-45X 60 Bushnell Excursion Tactical Spotter. Its' no Zeiss, but it is an excellent scope for the money and has a FFP (First Focal Plane) MIL reticle which is great for spotting for others and ranging.

Keith

I am seriously considering the 100mm Konus. Has anybody compared it with the bushnell with the ffp mildot reticle? I would love to have the reticle, but I'm not sure it's worth giving up glass quality. Sadly, I can't afford high dollar glass.

The Konus scopes are respectable spotters I have both the 80mm and the 100mm. I would recommend the 20-60X80 first as the 100mm is really big and long I like ti for Service Rifle as I have a cart to haul my gear including the scope and stand.

I'd look into the Konus Midway has the 80mm on sale right now for just over $200

Maybe I will hold off a bit and get something like the ffp Bushnell. I am going to go to my local gun shop to take a few spotters outside and try them. I am sure their selection will not be that great but maybe I will luck into one.

The Konus almost can't be beat in its price range. I found a new 80mm for $197 and its impressive for a cheapo. A reticle would be nice but if you know the size of your target you can guestimate yourself on paper.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: alibi</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> There are some real nice old spotting scopes out there if you look hard enough. I own an old Balscope with 15X eyepiece. Well built, good resolution, and under $100. I also got a good deal on an Argus 20X and tripod. It's basically a civilian M49 without the collector price. </div></div>
As he stated...I have a Bushnell Spacemaster II thats vintage i got on EBAY, its all steel contruction and glass is fantastic and crisp as hell. It was a very high end scope for its time i think the early mid 80s...it comes in OD green already. super easy to use and zoom and focus...its 20-45x magnification. got mine for $100.

Is there really a point to buy a spotter if you have a great scope? I'm new to LR shooting and i've been wondering this for some time now.

A buddy of mine (heat is his screen name on the boards) has a Bushnell Excursion for sale close to the price you're talking about. I've looked through it many times and it outperforms a Nikon I paid more for.

I can see my hits to about 300 yards with a pretty good S&B scope, in good conditions.

YMMV based upon a lot of factors.

I think I've decided on a Konus, but I'm torn between the 80mm and the 100mm. It's only about $100 difference. I assume the 100mm will bring in a little more light, but is it enough to make up for the additional size and weight? Are there any differences in features or glass quality?

Konus all the way.

If you can buy an used Kowa TSN 2 or 1 they are the ultimate cheap scopes. Check ebay.

i can tell you not to get the bsa deer hunter its crap i threw mine in the river one day after it pissed me off for the last time. the added the money to a good scope and i can just spot with my rifle scope

I used my konus-spot 60 at 600 yards this weekend and you could see trace easily with it. It worked quite well for a $275-ish rig.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joel45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you can get up a little over $300, I'd go for the Busnell Excursion. I have one with the mil-dot reticle. Great value for the money. </div></div>

+1 I like mine. eye relief could be better and edges are just a little distorted. But it's taken two falls to the concrete on the objective. Keeps on tickin...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joel45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you can get up a little over $300, I'd go for the Busnell Excursion. I have one with the mil-dot reticle. Great value for the money. </div></div>

+1

I have one, paid around $360 for and am very satisfied. I can see 308 hits out to 300 yards or so unless it's really hazy or mirage is kicking up. And I can see traces on 308 pretty well. Can't see 223 though. Only thing is the tripod is crap. Not a bad deal overall.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DUB19K</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is there really a point to buy a spotter if you have a great scope? I'm new to LR shooting and i've been wondering this for some time now.</div></div>

I can't see the hits most times at 300 yards with my Bushy 4-12x 4200, but I can see them with the Excursion spotter. Also, it allows your spotter to watch the bullet trace and with experience tell you exactly where your round went. Huge help.

Bushnell had a deal at the NRA convention today for one of their 60x spotting scopes for $100. For the price, I don't think anyone would have reason to complain. Then again, that was an NRA special, but still, something to look at would be Bushnell..

I have a Celestron Ultima 80 that I picked up from opticsplanet.com for right around $150, works pretty good for the price.

I took my bushnell excursion flp tactical to my soon to be range yesterday and spotted objects clear to 826 yrds per my LRF.. and I know it will do good at 1000yrds as well i am very satisfied... tripod is crap so I bought one from precision rifle solutions check there

I have a nikon prostaff 16-48x65 kit that came with the tripod and the covers for the spotter. Really not a bad spotter for the money. We used it for a couple months when we could only shoot to 300yds. In good conditions I could make out 223 hits at 300yds on white paper. We don't use it anymore if anyone is interested.

+5 (or whatever it's at now) for Konus. Throw away the tripod and bag and get a cheap hardcase and use a decent tripod. For the price you really can't expect great extras. The scope is very good for the money.