• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing a different type of hunting

sickbugs

Private
Minuteman
Jan 12, 2010
Barbados
living on a small island means a lot less hunting. unless you want to be sneaking around at night trying to get shots on wild hares in canefields (never tried it) or shooting monkeys (no real urge to since i happen to like the little critters, and there are no crops in my area for them to destroy) it doesnt leave you with much options, enter spearfishing.

ok so, your using a very long speargun, and you dont have much range with it (roughly 4x the length of the gun itself) but that doesnt make it any less challenging. your in an environment where you are not the apex predator, ive turned around to see large sharks just casually watching me, the only hint that anything was behind me was the fact that about 20 grunts swam underneath me doing quite a number. you have small dangers like jellyfish, you have visibility issues, if its too murky, you cant see past the tip of your gun, if the vis is great (100+ feet) it becomes a real challenge to range fish in a featureless environment, for example, in 40 foot deep water, with an all sand bottom, what looks like a 20 lb african pompano 10 feet away from you can easily be a 40 lb african pompano 20+ feet away from you, and just outside the range of your gun) my method of choice is freediving, and you really learn a lot about the behavior of your targets when you only have realistically 2 minutes in which to stalk them and get close enough for a shot. parrotfish are my favourite because they are the most challenging.

anyways, some pictures

first one is one im quite proud of, those parrotfish are mostly between 1 and a half and 3 lbs, and each one was a headshot.
DSC05280.JPG

preffered target, african pompanos, i usually get about 3 a year, this one was one of the larger ones ive shot.

n1063138105_30306693_3892.jpg

horse eye jacks, many consider these trash fish, in barbados, these are trophy fish, great eating.

n1063138105_30306694_1061%20%281%29.jpg

its frustrating when your first african pompano is still your biggest

n1063138105_30306698_2202.jpg

ive got more pics, but scattered over several computers.. if anyones ever headed to barbados and wants to try their hand at this, ive got spare spearguns, and can usually rustle up some gear, i hope some of u guys appreciate this thread, reason im posting it is because i really enjoy reading the hunting threads, but i just cant do any myself.

Re: a different type of hunting

Looks like a blast!! Great pics, thanks for sharing them with us.

You wouldn't find my ass any where a SHARK is going to casually be watching my ass.... Good luck with the spear fishing...

sharks are a worry, but honestly shallow water blackout is a much more serious threat than the slim chance of a shark being agressive enough to take a bite out of you.

Man, that looks amazing. I would love to be able to do something like that! I'll look you up if I ever make it to Barbados.

amazing. i am sure our land mammals wouldnt stand a chance with you! it must be extremely difficult to stalk a fish that can actually feel you move in the water amd doesnt necessarily have to see you. VERY IMPRESSIVE!

chuck

it is difficult but the trick is to play into their natural curiosity, when i first started diving, i swear as soon as i loaded up my gun, every fish in a 10 mile radius left the area, i got some invaluable advice from a seasoned diver, he told me that fish can sense your emotions, if you are thinking agressively, they will know and leave, if you are thinking about shooting them, they will know and leave, if you are completely relaxed, they will know, and stay.

one thing that helps, even though it hinders, is the fact that its hard to turn your speargun.. you cant usually track fish while in a shooting position (hand extended) so you learn to analyze behavior, say a mackerel is headed straight at you, these are very curious fish, so you know they will get close before they turn, you will extend your gun to the left, and just then, you will get them to turn towards the gun, shake it and the light reflects off of the spear tip, while remaining relaxed and thinking happy thoughts, the fish doesnt sense any threat from you so they will turn to investigate the new thing, the spear tip.. slowly swing the gun till its lined up and bam.

follow through is very important too, the spear takes relatively long to leave the gun, so emphasis is based on building a low recoil or no recoil rig, and keeping your shooting hand steady until you have hit your target.

i must admit, i have very little on land shooting experience, but im fascinated with firearms, and the reason ive joined this forum is to learn, you wont see me post much in technical discussions, but i am learning all i can, i hope to someday move to somewhere where firearm laws are not so ridiculous, and i do plan on buying a house close to a shooting range when that happens.

Good read sickbugs =) I enjoy freediving as well..but for me it is limited to 1-2 months a year.

Due to the cold water and you cant really freedive in drysuits .P Here's me in Northern Norway during the summer..old picture..but what the heck =)

n874455384_304156_9980.jpg

great pics , i do a little free dive spearfishing here on whidbey island , but its nothing like what you have going on . a good day for me is 15-20 ' visability and getting a 20 lb. cabezon [ think big ugly bullhead ] .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KClark</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks like a blast!! Great pics, thanks for sharing them with us. </div></div>

+1 Any chance you could put a scope on you spear??? May just double the odds.

nice fish, we do alot of free diving here in south west florida as well, mostly snapper grouper and an occasional bug in the mid summer. i can smell a REAL grouper sandwich with tarter sauce lettuce and tomato right now lol cool pics

Looks like allot of fun.. I would love to try it.

Picked up some new gear...and more is inc. Looking forward to trying it out this summer.

10062010087.jpg

10062010089.jpg

10062010088z.jpg

man, thats awesome
laugh.gif

Shooting is heaps of fun, but theres just something primal that gets turned on inside me when i see spearfishing and bowfishing !!!

Man was made to hunt!

Sweet thread
smile.gif

Sharks, barracuda, bluefish, mackerel, to name a few significant threats. I have seldom swum in salt water since 1992, when <span style="font-style: italic">Jaws</span> was released. The last time, I discovered on the way home that I had been doing so in one of the East Coast's Great White hot spots, just a little North of Parris Island. the last time I flew into Daytona, I watched the shallow offshore waters as we made our approach, and sharks were <span style="font-style: italic">everywhere</span>!

You can tell me they're a negligible threat 'til you're blue in the face; I'm still staying 'feet dry'.

Heck, with my ticker, even attempting to swim in a pool could be construed as a death defying act...

Greg

Also an avid free diver and spear-fisherman. Living in SO-Cal we have a rather large tax man we have to worry about!! Diving will always be my first love. Cant explain the peace you get from diving with no sound just your thoughts in your head. Gets crazy when your in open blue water!!

Heres a pic of my best White Sea-bass #36 wrapped up about 40ft down. Was only 6 inches shorter then me!! If you ever thought you had to be quite to hunt try hunting these very sketchy fish.

fish3.jpg

I've got a week long spearfishing trip coming up in a couple days. We do it on scuba though. I haven't learned the art of holding my breath for several minutes and it's pretty hard to find a wetsuit that will keep you warm enough in the frigid NW waters to do freediving.

I spend a lot of time offshore fishing. Mainly grouper and tuna/dolphin, Divers always impress me especially when I see the big tiger sharks swimming around some times. All the divers I know are good dudes and really a big help on what's happening on the ledges....and cheap, nice anchors from the bottom.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Iloveguns</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also an avid free diver and spear-fisherman. Living in SO-Cal we have a rather large tax man we have to worry about!! Diving will always be my first love. Cant explain the peace you get from diving with no sound just your thoughts in your head. Gets crazy when your in open blue water!!

Heres a pic of my best White Sea-bass #36 wrapped up about 40ft down. Was only 6 inches shorter then me!! If you ever thought you had to be quite to hunt try hunting these very sketchy fish.

fish3.jpg
</div></div>Great score man! Wife and I use to do alot of diving in Homer Alaska. Loved it. Miss the hell out of diving the PNW.