• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

A distraction from Collingwood...

Remoah

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 26, 2010
Victoria, Australia
The aussies in here will get the title.
Otherwise, after much buggerising around with the EGW rail, the rifle is completed and range tested.

Setup is.

Tikka T3 Left-Hand .308
EGW 20MOA Rail
Seekins Med (or is it Med Low?) Rings.
Bushnell Elite 4200 Tactical 6-24x Scope.

Ran about 40 rounds though it today. Factory Federal Tactical 130gr's.
Seemed to do alright. Still breaking in the barrel.

62702_443957503663_584538663_5138822_4136260_n.jpg

Photo'd with a FTR Enfield, my favourite rifle.

33588_443928603663_584538663_5138212_7119802_n.jpg

The 'Setup'
If you leave the Rear Bag at home, substitute with towels :|

Re: A distraction from Collingwood...

hi i understand the heading. Just a word make sure you have 5 shot grouns they actualy mean something and you will get more feedback from shooting a 5 shot group over just 3 shots and that is also the forum rules no 3 shot groups.

What issues did you have with the rail? we have them here in stock and have not found any issues with them? Also where were you Little River? I think i have also seen that ring box aswell some where i wonder. Anyway it is good you are getting the rifle setup and are shooting it you should get some 155gr VLd factory from the VRA i think it is around $1-10 per shot the brass is crap but if you are going to shoot factory it is around the cheepest you will gat and you will be able to streach to to 1000 yards.

ah yeah just realised that.
removed the pic. i have some 5rnd groups but they're shocking. 130gn rounds dont seem to like high winds very much. that and my shocking shooting skills.

Maybe tomorrow will herald some better weather and a decent group or two...

the 155's will shoot much better in the wind aswell we were out the range today at 800 and it was fairly gusty at times.

got the rifle setup today and got some fedral tacticals. it was the only ammo in the shop aside from highland *vomit* and a few remmy 180gns which i already had 2 packs of.

I dont reload just yet. give it a month or two before i'll have the time to. Are there any decent factory 155's out there or am i going to have to wait up for them?

Sheesh! First you Aussies drive on the wrong side of the road now your bolt is on the wrong side too
wink.gif

Nice looking Tikka and is that the standard Enfield or the SMLE? Either way I understand the Enfields are fine rifles.

Axe. I love it too, Enfields are ever popular in Oz due to the number handed in for $200 during the gun buyback of the 80's and 90's or so. worth nothing back then until the gov't bought them.

thos one was from 1945, stored in an armoury and theen sold in the 50's or 60's. always shot well and always kept well. between me and the father it's our favourite rifle.
you dont get craftsmanship like you did in an war-era aussie enfield anymore.

Training Wheels. Haha only 17% of us do. but yes, it's on the wrong side and I wouldnt have it any other way. Cheers, I'm hoping to re-spray the stock in olive green aside from the cheek rest and foregrip. purely cosmetic but i've spent $3000 on it which for an 18yo kid is alot of money and she shoots so nicely she deserves a good paintjob
smile.gif

I drove on the wrong side of the road for 1 1/2 years in a left hand drive on very narrow roads, could be a little nerve wracking meeting large trucks.

england? because some of thier C and D roads are just scary.
we did it in france for a couple of days and dad hated it, tiny roads, asshole drivers snd a citroen piccasso which was about as effective as trying to drive a boat...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Remoah</div><div class="ubbcode-body">england? because some of thier C and D roads are just scary.
we did it in france for a couple of days and dad hated it, tiny roads, asshole drivers snd a citroen piccasso which was about as effective as trying to drive a boat... </div></div>

A former Dutch colony where tropical parasites were as dangerous as the local drivers.

owch haha. well we do love our deadly critters down here in this little hemisphere...

I do like those Tikkas but an uglier factory stock I don't think I've seen- except maybe on those steyr tactical elites. Get a manners on it. Good prices from lightforce/APRS in SA.

im a big tikka fan. simple and reliable in my books. but yes, they're ugly and the stock is crappy. I'm considering the RCS, its unique and i love pistol grips
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Training Wheels</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sheesh! First you Aussies drive on the wrong side of the road now your bolt is on the wrong side too
wink.gif

</div></div>
you have to remember that since Australia is in the southern hemisphere everything is opposite.
grin.gif

I am a lefty too so it looks correct to me.

haha very well put jstar.
i just reckon the more north you go, the worse the beer gets.

Remoah clearly you must be an alcoholic... on every thread i encounter with your input, beer is mentioned
smile.gif

Yes us aussies make good beer... but those jap bastards make their ale just as well! Smashed down a slab of Asahi this weekend... fkn pies!

That Enfield is sweeet! How do i get a specimen as nice as that?

Is it an AIA?

Its the frankston in me thats showing. I actually only drink once a month. Except on sundey's or me day off... haha.
Asashi isnt bad. James Squire Golden goes down alright as well.
Just for the life of me though ill never understand queensland beer.

dont get me started. im converting to NRL for a few years until collingwood finally forgets they've won and then i'll poke my lil AFL head up again.
unless the bombers kill it next season. not gonna happen tho.

AIA would be nice but no. Lithgow Armour 1945, matching bolt and magazine (bolt defs, mag not so sure), only modification is a peepsight bracket on the LH side of the reciever.
The thing is a brilliant shooter. The previous owner died and it was his favourite rifle and its now mine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Remoah</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i just reckon the more north you go, the worse the beer gets.</div></div>

With the exception of some boys from Shiner Texas I can't really argue with that statement, I've had some damn fine brews from Oz and Mr. Guinness is my hero.

Who cares what your stock looks like, if it shoots tight groups then it is beautiful.

oh yeah but then again to you guys texas is fairly south so that might explain thier propensity for good beer?
but then again Coronas are mexican and thats even further south, and those things are about as tasty as rat piss.

Im a massive guiness fan. nobody else here really drinks it and i reckon it goes down like water half the time.

Oh yeah im not worried about looks. But it looks shit and it shoots shit, not comfortable at all and really cheap feeling. The rifle doesnt shoot too well just yet but thats my fault. i did post one 5-shot group that was just pushing 1.1MOA which isnt great but could easily improve with some better sooting on my part

Well Remoah, that enfield looks like a mighty fine specimen! I hope to one day own something just like it.

Will probably settle for an AIA some time soon... i know its not the real deal but its modern and chambered for .308 which i like... still want some legit classics tho.

Mosin Nagant, K98k, enfield etc etc.

Look for enfields marked FTR on the reciever. They were generally very accurate specimens that didnt see service, and were then converted over to civillian rifles and often had peep sights added.

If your dedicated, get a grand together and head down to your local Military Rifle club. We bumped into the mildura locals at the range (who'd shot with the previous owner of the rifle, before he passed away, which was a very enlightening chat).
Alot of them will have or will know of someone with a good peice for sale, might be worth a bit but at the same time you've got a rifle thats a known shooter and will already have good loads developed for them.

I wouldnt mind a Kar98, or a Mosin. Just dont have the room for it right now but once the Tikka's done and i move out i'll be buying a second safe very quickly.
I plan to collect one of every military rifle available on my A/B licence. The MAS36 is going to be the challenge :p

Never seen one of them french guns but would be nice to have
laugh.gif

Il keep all of the above in mind... I only want to own one if its a good specimen.

yeah theres a post on it in this forum.
i'd wanted an L42 for a while now, just for the novelty. that post 1950's era of rifles always got me, bridging the gap between the practical, 'standard rifle with a scope' approach of WW2 and the hyper-accurate rifles of today.
Saw it and its exactly what im after, completely unique.

and yeah you'd want it to be a good one. as i said, chat up some of the old blokes down the range. Chances are one or two might be willing to give the sport up or know someone who is.

Either that or just shop round. If you're in vic theres the arms fair on the 23/24th of october. always good rifles to be had there. its called the Arms and Militaria fair. Check it out, they do 2 or 3 a year.

some photos i took yesterday.

62452_444355953663_584538663_5147391_3909483_n.jpg

Took her to the range on Sunday.
Dad shot her a bit, no grouping photos just yet.

62886_444356168663_584538663_5147398_6014491_n.jpg

Wind was horrendous, so we only stretched her to 100yd. This was taken at the end of the day, like the previous once. hence the bolt out for cleaning.
still developing loads for her.

62452_444355948663_584538663_5147390_4246640_n.jpg

The new girl on her temp rest.
All we bought up it turns out was the Cadwell Jr rest and a few towels. Picked this unit up for $40, an MTM Predator.
Not that great but it'll do for now.

Hey mate,

Listen to what wild bill says regarding the projectiles, those 155 dyers are very good and I've had good success shooting them out of my tikka in fclass.

Also vman go in and have a look at centerway in keilor they had some nice .303's on the rack last time I was there.

cheers guys.
the 130gn's seem to blow about a bit. they're a nice round and i have about 100 of them, 50 unfired and 50 shells. so thats my start of reloading.

what powder are you guys using? charge weights/primers and the like?

cheers mate.
and you're right, plenty of good 303's to be had,just need to look around and be sure. good woodwork is the start but not the be all and end all.

my load is:
155gr dyer
lapua brass
47gr ar 2208
fed gmm 210M primer
loaded to 2.944

Now this is an EXTREME load do not attempt it in this combination, but the components are ready to rock and roll.

Cheers mate. i havent got any gear so i'll be using the stuff belonging to the bloke over the road. should be interesting to see what works.

Federal brass for the moment, lapua's too expensive and i'd be just wasting it right now.