• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s A fair dinkum day

Trigger Monkey

Ronin
Minuteman
  • Apr 29, 2005
    Winchester Virginia
    Mostly on a whim, my wife, @LaraCroft, decided to accompany me to the range today because she hasn't shot in a long time and wanted to get out. Kiddo went with the grandparents and I loaded up the family truckster with her and a few toys to head up to PNTC.

Started her out on the G19 and for someone that hasn't shot in a long time she fell right back into after a quick refresher like a duck in water, I was impressed. She had fun shooting steel but she wanted to see where her impacts were going, a reminder for me to stock up on some white paint for the future. There were some left over IPSC targets there so we found a couple that weren't totally shot up and I told her to aim for the upper thoracic just below the shoulder line. So I'm watching her and I see impacts under the right shoulder but they're consistent so I'm thinking she's pulling them right. Right before I said something though I looked down the slide and turns out she's hitting exactly where she was aiming lol so I left her to it. She loaded up another mag and put that into the head box....I figured that'll do haha.

20201122_134751_capture.jpg

20201122_134921_capture.jpg

Note the finger discipline. (y)

I also brought out the old Model 60 and Bergara B14R to play with too. I'd set up a steel IPSC and flapper target that I'd made years ago just to use with the .22's. We started out at 15 yards and she was just straight nailing the IPSC plate with the model 60 shooting it offhand. We pushed it back to 25 yards and set up the tripod to make it a little easier for her to shoot and so she could be more accurate. Miss Croft turned into a regular Annie Oakley and was regularly plinking steel.

20201122_141426_capture.jpg

20201122_141734_capture.jpg

We pushed back to 50 yards and I let her shoot the B14R off the barricade with the game changer. I gave her a couple pointers on her shooting position and she was off to the races. From the standing off the barricade she shot a decent golf ball sized group on a cardboard IPSC with SK Magazine ammo, which all things considered isn't bad. I loaded up another mag and told her to shoot the flapper target and she was like "but it looks tiny" but I knew she had it. Save for one bad round that was a light primer strike she went 9 out of 10 on the flapper....a regular Annie Oakley all right.

20201122_145635_capture.jpg

A pretty good day of shooting all in all and Miss Croft is quite the natural considering that I think it's been a few years at least since she's shot with me.

I would definitely stay on her good side, I was shooting pistols one day and I told my wife she needs to practice. She looks at me and shrugs takes my 1911 and put 8 rounds in a 1” group at 20 yards looks at me and shrugs and goes back in the house. She hadn’t shot in years. 🤷‍♂️

I wish I could get my wife to shoot, she has only been out a couple of times. The last time one of my buddy's wife was wanting to buy a gun, so I brought a .38 S&W.....a handful for anyone, a Ed Brown full sized .45, and my Wilson Combat EDCX9.......the other gal shot all of them, and was doing pretty well with the 9, and my wife said she was ready to try, one shot with the 9 mm, and her response was, I'm done.......

My wife comes home one day from town and tells me “I bought a gun” I said good let me see it. It was a 380 🙄so I said let me clean it and we will see what it does. I had some shells that someone had given me so I load it up. She fires the first one and said Shit that hurt, I instructed her to get a firm grip and try it again. She pulls the trigger and again Shit. I am trying not to laugh as she is pissed that she bought this gun and has fired 2 rounds and hates it. I fire the last 4 and it is really snappy, I tell her to try this one. A G19 that was a buddy’s that I was putting a trigger in. Long story short she now carries a 19, and has left the gun buying to me.

I bought my wife a .22 for our anniversary. Now how to get her out more?

Worst and best thing I ever did was get my wife into shooting, she shoots up all the ammo, and now she owns a gun store!

I wish I could get my wife to shoot, she has only been out a couple of times. The last time one of my buddy's wife was wanting to buy a gun, so I brought a .38 S&W.....a handful for anyone, a Ed Brown full sized .45, and my Wilson Combat EDCX9.......the other gal shot all of them, and was doing pretty well with the 9, and my wife said she was ready to try, one shot with the 9 mm, and her response was, I'm done.......
    I had similar issue.
    Developed a reduced recoil 9mm & 40 S&W load, now wife will shoot until she runs out of ammo.

Sounds like some people need more ammo stocked up.
    Others need to stop pressuring their SO to do something they don't wanna do.

Loving the one who opened up their own store!!

My wife has always been a good shot, since her father taught her early on air pistols at tiny targets. I once put together a nice .223 to try and get her into rifles and she shot that well too, but is indifferent about shooting in general. I don’t push her and she supports my hobby. A fair trade I’d say.

@Trigger Monkey and @LaraCroft, good for you two that you can enjoy this together.

Reactions: LaraCroft
    My wife has always been a good shot, since her father taught her early on air pistols at tiny targets.

I grew up with rifles everywhere. My parents hunted everything around us that could legally be hunted, and we lived in the country with a little piece of land, raising a few farm animals. I was taught early on how to use a few things in the event it was needed for protection or food.

It is a skill we would like to pass onto our daughter, but she is not interested at this time. We are going to be making more of a point to show her pictures and videos of me doing all of this too, not just her daddy, because she is such a mommy's girl and does just about anything I enjoy doing simply because I do it.
    One day, she will be ready to try it herself and we will be ready.

I also, sadly, do not have a concealed carry permit. This is something i want to rectify this coming year.