• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

A fantastic Battle Rifle

pmclaine

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Nov 6, 2011
    MA
    This M1A continues to impress.

I have to think it has the potential to be sub MOA with a better shooter or perhaps an optic.....

ufGUcfll.jpg

IUIXT3Yl.jpg

First clean/cold bore was out of the Xring at 9 O'clock.

Next three were the 8s and 9.

I made an adustment 3 MOA up and it just started crushing the right edge of the X ring.

I stayed there throwing my flyers but having plenty fall just at 3 O'Clock on the X ring.

Made a 1 MOA adjustment left and had them hitting more center X to 9 O'Clock

9gkoV5Vl.jpg

Light, yet sturdy, easy pointing, what a fantastic design.

I’m helping a buddy put together a precision M1A. They’re captivating. Bula makes a LH XM21 the thought of that in a McMillan M3 and a Kreiger 6.5 makes my heart thump.

You’re a magician with walnut.

I almost said I love your wood, but thought about how that might sound!

@Bigfatcock is going to assign you a detention.

Thats Birch.

I was thinking this AM driving to work that I would like to have one of those Winchester cherry stocks or a solid walnut stock but this thing shoots so good I am not messing with what was meant to be.

Last edited:
    Reactions: canman
    How much for the m49/m15 combo?

You want to go to Ebay and find one for about $250...........$400 if exceptional.

I was much mo'dumb.

Marty at Badger got the last quantity of new in the wrap never opened sealed in aluminum foil leftovers and I paid big money for the privilege of opening the shit and smelling USGI desicant foil paper. I had the ability to conjure money back than.

You can find fantastic vintage glass on Ebay - nice Unertl scopes and others that M49 shares design with.

This replaced a Kowa that is beautiful but heavy. My bag is at least 5 or more pounds lighter without the Kowa and the NRA style stand.

Reactions: canman

Thats Birch.

I was thinking this AM driving to work that I would like to have one of those Winchester cherry stocks or a solid walnut stock but this thing shoots so good I am not messing with what was meant to be.
    So, I can’t tell birch from walnut….. I should’ve just stuck with “I love your wood.” Lol

• Haha
    Reactions: pmclaine
    So, I can’t tell birch from walnut….. I should’ve just stuck with “I love your wood.” Lol

A good laugh sir, thank you. I hope you are well.

Go burnish that trap door so that the barrel sparkles in the sun like the army of God is coming.

A good laugh sir, thank you. I hope you are well.

Go burnish that trap door so that the barrel sparkles in the sun like the army of God is coming.
    Gotta order some projectiles, but will be firing for sure.

Reactions: pmclaine

Thats Birch.

Your wood is hot, even if it is birch. No homo.

I don’t care if it’s birch. It’s a damn stunning rifle. Someday I’d love to have a walnut stock in an A5 configuration

I just took delivery of a M1A NM (2009 vintage, it would appear) from a fellow Hide member and am eagerly awaiting the return of fair weather to properly exercise it. I also recently received a Expert grade CMP Garand that will probably accompany me on the same trip. Don't know why, but these classic combinations of steel and wood are really appealing to something at the moment. Maybe I just grew a bit tired of soulless aluminum, plastic, and Cerokote? Whatever the reason, even my young sons are pumped, and they are normally unexcited salt anything that isn't sporting titanium or carbon fiber bits.

Since we're taking about each other's wood - what's the preferred oil for birch? Don't know that I care so much about color as I do about robustness.

I use pure linseed.."not raw, not boiled, just cold pressed linseed oil.

It does little to improve the look of the wood but it was what was issued.

Flax seed oil from your grocer would be same shit I have been told.

Some of my rifles use tung oil, some have had both.

That's what I like about "dumb" oils....just get your palms wet and start rubbing, can't screw it up.

Reactions: E. Bryant
    Can't screw it up? Heh - I retain the capability to do that with any woodworking project, no matter how small.

Thanks for the advice (y) I'll feel better about letting these rifles play outside once their stocks are able to bead water.

Can't screw it up? Heh - I retain the capability to do that with any woodworking project, no matter how small.

Thanks for the advice (y) I'll feel better about letting these rifles play outside once their stocks are able to bead water.

They are battle rifles so water shouldnt hurt them but still when it comes to knowing Im going to be getting wet.......Im bringing a McMillan stock or something that starts with AR.

I just took delivery of a M1A NM (2009 vintage, it would appear) from a fellow Hide member and am eagerly awaiting the return of fair weather to properly exercise it. I also recently received a Expert grade CMP Garand that will probably accompany me on the same trip. Don't know why, but these classic combinations of steel and wood are really appealing to something at the moment. Maybe I just grew a bit tired of soulless aluminum, plastic, and Cerokote? Whatever the reason, even my young sons are pumped, and they are normally unexcited salt anything that isn't sporting titanium or carbon fiber.
    I’m with you. There is definitely something distinctly American about these rifles.

There is an auction for a Springfield White Feather that I’m buying for my buddy. We’re at $2600 with an hour to go. I’m more pumped about his rifle than I have been about one of mine for some time.

I’m with you. There is definitely something distinctly American about these rifles.

There is an auction for a Springfield White Feather that I’m buying for my buddy. We’re at $2600 with an hour to go. I’m more pumped about his rifle than I have been about one of mine for some time.
    I've been watching that auction/rifle, they don't come any nicer!
    DW

Sharp looking rifle. When I shot High Power Rifle, I competed with the M1A for most of the years I competed. I have a soft spot in my heart for the M1A.

The M1A is a damn fine rifle.

Last edited: