• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

A few cartridges losing popularity? It seems

rookie7

Outdoorsman
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2009
Georgia
6 creedmoor and 300 blackout

Edit: Bergara also cut the 6 creedmoor from the B14 HMR.

Since the 350 Legend came along Ruger and Howa both have pulled back offerings in 300 blackout in their bolt action rifles.

Both companies also have dropped the 6 creedmoor - with one exception Ruger still offers it in their Predator.

Not really a surprise with the 300 blackout since the 350 Legend is a straight wall cartridge.

However, I was surprised to see Ruger dropping the 6 creed in their RPR.

I think the 6 creed is a better total package compared to the 243, but I guess not to the general hunting public.

I’m assuming the popularity of the 6.5 creed sales killed the 6 in the RPR.

I’m just rambling.

Input?

Last edited:
Yes. I just put my 350 Legend Ruger up for consignment.

Geez that’s a shame both are good performers I have a Ruger RPR in 6 creed awesome consistency to 1000 yards . I have an eye problem so I needed to avoid impact/ concussion of any type a round my head a 13 pound combo in the 6 creedmoor keeps me ringing steel 😁

Reactions: Maggot
Geez that’s a shame both are good performers I have a Ruger RPR in 6 creed awesome consistency to 1000 yards . I have an eye problem so I needed to avoid impact/ concussion of any type a round my head a 13 pound combo in the 6 creedmoor keeps me ringing steel 😁
A suppressor also helps with concussion.

I wasnt aware 6 creed every REALLY caught on outside of long range shooters and competitors... at least not to the level 6.5 creed did. Ive never seen the ammo offered commercially in any of the big stores while I have seen 6.5 at many.

300BLK aint dead yet LOL... I have read this since I started shooting it in 2011...

The 300 blackout hangs on by sheer will of those of us who were heavily invested and have been since it was called "Whisper". But it's lost a lot of it's shine over the years. I haven't shot mine in 5 years maybe?

The more I live the more I see that Eugene got it right the first time and 5.56 fills my AR needs. If I really want subs, I've still got a roller rocked 9mm pistol and a 9mm SBR on the AR platform

Tech support here... It seems like your Windows 6.5 Creedmoor has yet again been suffering from operating bugs and glitches... Would you like us to reboot your system and reinstall the older Windows .45-70? Our clients always have great things to say about Windows .45-70, as there had been virtually no error reports submitted to us from that OS for the last 150 years. If you are interested, I will send you a command prompt. Click on "yes" to enable remote access to your system by our technicians....
smiley_smartass.gif

The 6mm Creedmor for hunting is unnecessary ... 243 is already there. And you don't have to buy basically only expensive Federal Premium or Hornady ELD-X bullets to feed a 243. You can pay $20 for a box of soft points in 243 and go kill an Eastern deer no problem. Nobody needs to buy a 6mm Creedmore to do the exact same thing with more expensive bullets. And the PRS world moved on from 6mm Creedmor to all the other 6mm variants via hand loading for better ballistics and probably especially barrel life. I see a lot of 6mm Creedmor on shelves and am not going to buy a gun to use it when a 6.5 Creedmor will accomplish 100% of what I need to do better, except maybe PRS... but if I'm going 6mm I'm going to compete and that'll be a 6GT or Dasher, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: rookie7
You shooting open, or trying to shoot with the TR competitors?
Just leaving the Fudds in the dust with my super awesome cheater round. It's almost not fair, all I do is point muzzle down range and bullet goes wherever I pictured in my head. Pretty dope, hoping it doesn't catch on though..

My opinion, if factory 243 rifles had been offered in faster twist barrels, the 6creed would never have been a thing to begin with. Looking at off the shelf guns, the mostly 1-10 twists keep them from running high bc heavies as well as they could with 1-8.5 etc, which keeps ammo mfgs from loading 243 with anything like the 108eld or similar. Also, I've only seen 6creed in a few big stores, 243 and 6.5 creed is virtually everywhere. Guess the shoulder angle is the only advantage to 6 creedmoor?

For 300blk, I didn't know it was loosing ground. Thought it was still the go to for sub/suppressed?

Reactions: OlsenG_360
I'd bet that many still use the 6 creed and others.
Market operates on the "new" hotness and that's what is being talked about.

R

Reactions: lash
Guns last a really long time if you take care of them. So manufacturers need to keep interest going to keep the buyers opening their wallets. And the easiest way to get buzz is to introduce a new cartridge. Pump up the hype, sell the 'new' gun in the latest super caliber, and rake in the dough. And when interest starts to decline, repeat with the next cartridge. I generally won't go 'all in' on a new cartridge until it has been on the market for a few years. I've lost count of how many wonder-cartridges that have come and gone over the last 30 years.

That being said, I am watching the military's trials for a new rifle. If they actually decide to adopt a new cartridge like the .277 Fury, I'll be shocked. But also happy. There has been several tries to get a cartridge in the 6.5 to 7mm range since WW1. Many have performed well, it is just institutional issues that prevented the round being adopted outside a few nations (Swedes and Swiss come to mind). If the US Military adopts a new round, it is safe to assume that it will be around a while.

Tech support here... It seems like your Windows 6.5 Creedmoor has yet again been suffering from operating bugs and glitches... Would you like us to reboot your system and reinstall the older Windows .45-70? Our clients always have great things to say about Windows .45-70, as there had been virtually no error reports submitted to us from that OS for the last 150 years. If you are interested, I will send you a command prompt. Click on "yes" to enable remote access to your system by our technicians....
smiley_smartass.gif
Fudd...😄🤣

Jus’ Kiddin’

The 6CM never filled a gap, it was just another alternative. Hornady has done its best with promoting it, but it brings little to the table other than the name "Creedmoor". Hunters see no reason to leave .243, and competitive shooters understand there's (mildly) better options out there. Grab some bargain brass though, it's becoming the cheapest cost of entry into a 6mm and there's absolutely nothing wrong with the cartridge, aside from the requisite man bun.

The .300 BO has always been a niche round, and always will be. Any vendor dropping it is a reflection of that, and with many states still running asinine rules requiring straight wall cartridges to hunt with, well, the .350 Legend's ability to run in an AR is obvious of its newfound popularity. Celebrate and encourage even more hunters moving to AR platforms, it only solidifies our base.

I agree with @rjacobs i don’t think the 6 creed ever caught on with the average hunter. The .243 has too much of a presence.

And @sirboom has a very valid summary.

The 300 blackout hangs on by sheer will of those of us who were heavily invested and have been since it was called "Whisper". But it's lost a lot of it's shine over the years. I haven't shot mine in 5 years maybe?

The more I live the more I see that Eugene got it right the first time and 5.56 fills my AR needs. If I really want subs, I've still got a roller rocked 9mm pistol and a 9mm SBR on the AR platform

the 5.56 was not the cartridge Eugene stoner initially designed for the AR platform. FYI the first time around he preferred the 7.62 and if I recall didn’t much care for the 5.56 at the time.

I don't understand why 300 black is losing ground when every gun manufacturer has an option for it, and didn't socom have a use for it? What is its replacement, and how will this replacement not end up another wildcat that fizzled out? For the role that 300 black plays, it feels like it will be the standard for that role until another wildcat has had years to prove itself worthy of replacing it.

I don't understand why 300 black is losing ground when every gun manufacturer has an option for it, and didn't socom have a use for it? What is its replacement, and how will this replacement not end up another wildcat that fizzled out? For the role that 300 black plays, it feels like it will be the standard for that role until another wildcat has had years to prove itself worthy of replacing it.

It is losing ground in bolt guns. As far as an AR and it’s intended role as a suppressed subsonic round it is fine. It may even be King.

Ruger used to have multiple variations of the BLK in their American Ranch rifle - now one.

Howa had several variations in their 1500 mini, and now only a few.

I think both manufacturers saw the potential market with the 350 Legend for hunting and took that route.

The 6 creed being cut from 99% of their lineup is lack of sales.

Oh, I forgot - Bergara cut the 6 creed from their B14 HMR too.

Reactions: LilGucci
The 1500 mini just needs to go away. The magazines are crap, which dooms the action IMHO.

.300BLK in subsonic is cool. I do need to add a .300 upper to my AR, and get a can to go with it.... 300 supers I didn't get. IIRC you need a 16" barrel to get the best out of it for hunting, and most pistol cans that are rated for .300 are for subsonic only. So you need to double your investment in uppers and cans to get the best of both options. And .300 supers IIRC are about .30-30 in performance anyway. And if that is the case, I'll stick with my Win94 for a brush gun. I can see guns set up for the .300BLK in super being phased out. I can't see what it brings to the table that isn't already out there, or worse people are disappointment in the performance because they didn't fully understand the two rounds and how they were designed to work.

What cracks me up about this entire thread is people put so much into whether something is popular or not.

I got a flyer from Midway the other day and I'd bet that 90% of the items shown have "popular" in their description.
Gimme a fuggin break.
Put an actual price and I might buy it if it's worth the effort.

People buy the newest version of things because they are popular, not because it's what they need. They buy it because someone tells them it's the best because it's popular.

Go back to your high school days for a moment.

All the girls wanted to be popular.
The guys wanted to bang the popular girls.

The popular girls weren't worth the effort except for bragging rights.

Some of us saw the less popular ones for their actual value, not for the label plastered on them.

(BTW, most of the popular girls didn't stay popular and married someone they hate, and have lived shitty lives)

You go spend your money on the newest, latest, greatest. I'll spend my time money on the tried and true.

.300BLK in subsonic is cool. I do need to add a .300 upper to my AR, and get a can to go with it.... 300 supers I didn't get. IIRC you need a 16" barrel to get the best out of it for hunting, and most pistol cans that are rated for .300 are for subsonic only. So you need to double your investment in uppers and cans to get the best of both options. And .300 supers IIRC are about .30-30 in performance anyway. And if that is the case, I'll stick with my Win94 for a brush gun. I can see guns set up for the .300BLK in super being phased out. I can't see what it brings to the table that isn't already out there, or worse people are disappointment in the performance because they didn't fully understand the two rounds and how they were designed to work.

The cartridge was originally the 30-221 and JD Jones developed his version of it as a subsonic round only.

He called it the 300 Whisper.

As a super, it's okay and it's easy to shoot.
As the 300 Whisper, it's right where it's supposed to be.

Reactions: lash
Wasn't the 350 Legend developed mostly to comply with some hunting regs in Western states?

Straight-Wall Rifle Cartridge Regulations by State
Regulations can (and do) change. Be sure to verify the rules for the season and area you are hunting.
Indiana
Rifle cartridges for hunting public land must have a minimum bullet diameter of .357 inch, and a case that measures no less than 1.16 inches and no greater than 1.8 inches. Full-metal jackets are prohibited.
Ohio
Straight-wall cartridges firing bullets from .357 to .50 inch in diameter are legal. Hunters may not have more than three cartridges in the rifle and magazine combined.

Iowa
Straight-wall cartridges with expanding bullets from .357 to .50 caliber are legal. Rimless cartridges must have a case length from .85 to 1.8 inches. Rimmed cartridges must have a case measuring 1.285 to 1.8 inches in length.
Michigan
In the limited-firearms deer zone, hunters are permitted to use straight-wall cartridges with cases between 1.16 and 1.8 inches in length, and bullets with diameters larger than .35 inch.

@MarinePMI you’re 100% right about the mags, but I hope the action stays. I have one in 6.5 Grendel and use a Jefferson Outdoors BDL bottom metal = a very nice whitetail rifle.

Oregon Gunsmithing and Jefferson Outdoors both make BDL bottom metal for it.

Reactions: MarinePMI
Well I would dare to guess they dropped the Blackout from the rifle lineup for the same reason they dropped the 45 ACP...

I’m still rolling a 6Creed!
Dang Mr. Stalker. Get with the program!! That cartridge is at least 11 years old now, very outdated...just rubbish, next thing you know you'll post in the "Embarrasing things about me" thread that you have actually fired a round of 308 and may even own one. Sheesh... :) :) :).

• Haha
Reactions: SilentStalkr
Dang Mr. Stalker. Get with the program!! That cartridge is at least 11 years old now, very outdated...just rubbish, next thing you know you'll post in the "Embarrasing things about me" thread that you have actually fired a round of 308 and may even own one. Sheesh... :) :) :).

Hey! I have a gun in .308. That round is so modern compared to my 3 .30-06 rifles, and the OG US smokeless powder round: .30WCF (30-30 for you uninitiated)
ErZngBl.jpg

Reactions: Idaho-5R
That 30-30 is SO two centuries ago :) :). Probably just bounces off paper...LOL.

Keep in mind...I still think '06 and 308 are time-tested and still function as inteneded (30-30 too). Ooops...wait..wrong thread....

Man I just built a 300 Black Out and I effin love it . Pistol length , 220gn subs and basically .45 ballistics that I can shoulder . It is friggin laser accurate at 25 yds and in . Perfect home defense weapon . Oh and fun as fuck ta shoot . No recoil , Wooo Hooo . Now I needs me a bynaira tragger .

Reactions: MarinePMI

Yes sir! And I still own and actually fire the incapable .308 quite often! Guess I’m old school!

I am just a kid in a candy store I love all the different rounds and the different choices they present at different times . The 6.5 creedmoor is my sunshine on a cloudy day when its cold outside It gives me the month of may . lol :giggle: at least till the ammo runs out then I'll pick another round .

There's a lot of creedmoor anything fudd hate out there. The kinds of durrs that think you need win mag in the name to tip over a whitetail at 60 yards.
This. The same ones that take 20 rounds to get on a paper plate at 35 yards once a year.

A friend asked me the other day what round he needs to use to shoot whitetail out to 300 yards. I asked him what he had. He said 243, 308, 25-06, 7mm-08, 270, 30-06. I told him to pick one.

He did end up getting a ruger predator in 6.5 creed. I think he just wanted another rifle.

To quote Jeff Cooper, I understand shooters that aren't hunters, but I dont understand hunters that aren't shooters.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rookie