• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing A few Michigan Deer

brdeano

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 8, 2006
Tawas MI
Was a little busy this week filling tags. Now I'll be a little busy for another day or so filling the freezer. It's time to break out the knives and grinder!!!

Rifle is a little 243 in a McMillan Mountain Rifle stock and I was running 90gr SciroccoII's at 3220, they didn't bounce off. The sling is built by our own PGS and its a simple design that works very well for shooting.

CSC_3318.jpg

DSC_3356.jpg

Re: A few Michigan Deer

campfire tape. Brings luck;)

Nice body on that buck. Hope to get mine early tomorrow AM. Not real excited with all the corn still standing and rain we are getting AGAIN!!

OMG! That buck looks like a horse laying there!! You guys have some big-ass deer up in that corner of the world!!

One of the deer still had a little wiggle left in it when it hit the ground and I poked another shot into it. I thought that one exited also, but I was wrong. It entered in front of the rear legs, went on up through and lodged in the opposite side shoulder. I found it while cutting that shoulder up.

It expanded to about .510" and still weighs 81.6 grains. I'd say that's pretty good weight retention. That shot was about 160yds.

DSC_3359.jpg

Brad nice job on the long legged rats in MI. You got to like the 90g Swift in the .243, did all my killing with it last year. Any plans to go to Youngs any time soon.

Kick ass Brad! We will be cutting today as well. Got 2 dehydrators goin for Jerky. Have fun Bro!

Well, got all the backstraps, sirloins, roasts, top and bottom rounds cut/trimmed/wrapped/packaged today. Ended up with 235# of pure burger as well (glad we're running the 1HP #22 LEM grinder). It's been course ground, tomorrow I'll grind it with the fine blade and pack/freeze it. Once that is done I'll go to work for a few days and then be back out to try and fill a couple more tags. Here I am all tired and about 5 bottles into a 6-pack of Smithwick's Ale.....Life is GOOD!!!

Also got back the DNR Lab results on 3 of the does shot on the TB tags.....clean bill of health and they were 4.5,7.5,and 10.5 years old.....a bunch of old bitches. The ages really surprised me.

https://secure1.state.mi.us/testresults/default.asp?Species=Deer&TagNo=322398

https://secure1.state.mi.us/testresults/default.asp?Species=Deer&TagNo=322399

https://secure1.state.mi.us/testresults/default.asp?Species=Deer&TagNo=322395

Wow,
Filling tags? I only see one tag. Not to mention that I can’t see a buck with 4 points on one side. So how did you get 2 bucks when state law is one buck has to have at least 4 points on one side?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DMAX2500HD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow,
Filling tags? I only see one tag. Not to mention that I can&#146;t see a buck with 4 points on one side. So how did you get 2 bucks when state law is one buck has to have at least 4 points on one side?
</div></div>

Pretty sure Brad hunts with his family. I really don't think all those are his. Not sure though.

How is it you know so much about game laws in a state you don't live in?

Well as you can see I am stationed in Jacksonville NC. I am from MI. I was also home this year deer hunting for 17 days on leave. I am actually from Flint MI about 10 miles from where he is from. Don’t get me wrong I am not busting on deer hunting. I my self had a very good blood thirst going this year, as I spent last deer season in Iraq.

The way I took this post was he had shot all of those deer. I could be wrong in the way I took the post. I just was pointing out that I didn’t see any tags and the buck didn’t look legal.

Sorry you have a problem.Iam his dad and was in on the hunt.One was taking by my daughter in law doe with the head.One was taken by my son in law a6 point.The other 4 were taken by me and my 2 sons.Brad got the 8 point and a doe.My other son got a doe and i got a nother doe.They were taken on a Disease Control permit. The day we came home it was rainging very hard and we took the tags of and put them in the truck with us so they would not blow off and lose them.If you like we can post picks of the tags.

CONGRATULATIONS to you, and, your friends and family who where successful this year. No need to place pics of tags on this site. Like I said to me it just sounded like one person had taken all of those deer.

So you understand where I was coming from. The mentality of the typical Michigan deer hunter and the bull sh!t that comes out of the DNR on the deer heard numbers. Just got me a little fired up then I saw all of the deer I thought he had taken deer.

I didn’t mean any disrespect to anyone.

Brad, his family and friends are all top shelf sportsmen and sportswomen....no need to worry about those folks not doing it right.

Whew, glad you guys got that all straightened out.
grin.gif

Dmax, I don't know if you've ever seen the Disease Control Permits from the DNR, but they are paper, not coated, just paper. They are a 3 part tag system. I goes in the mail, 1 goes ona part of body and one on the head. Those Tags were pulled off the deer before the drive home and put in the glove box. The pic of them all hanging was an afterthought right before the skinning started.

I don't fill every tag I buy. I've ate my "unrestricted" buck tag the past 2 seasons and only filled the "restricted" tag. I can assure you the buck I posted above meets the requirements of the "restricted" tag.
smile.gif

I still have doe tags and a buck tag left. If I can get a good one within range of the Flintlock I'll take him. If not, no big deal.

Next time you're in town DMAX PM me and I'll buy you a beer or 3.

Brad there is always late doe season. I have been just watching my does all year waiting for late doe.

In my neck of the woods in Va. the limit is 6 per hunter and you CANNOT take a second or third buck until you harvest a doe prior to the next buck. I/we actually pass on the bucks finding that the does usually are a tad fatter and taste better.
Our county took 44thousand registered deer last season- not counting those hit by cars and poached.
The only reason for my post is that it would never have occurred to me to even bother to look for a tag or count points, etc.in the pictures.
No tags here for landowner, just call or use computer to tell the state what and how many you took.
Other than that, good shooting and enjoy that nice fat free protein.

Gary