• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

a few questions about meloniting a barrel

GhostFace

Verified Asshole
Minuteman
  • Apr 1, 2003
    Indiana
    First of I heard you should send a few rounds through the barrel in order to smooth out any imperfections in the throat. I have 389 rounds through my Rock (.30-06). Is that too many? Also the exterior of the barrel is duracoated, I'm sure that would need to be removed but whomever melonites it could remove it. If I am able to do it where should I send my rifle too?

I use H&M in Ohio (Welcome to H & M Metal Processing) and have for the last few years. They will sand/media blast it before it goes in so that will remove anything on the outside of the barrel. They have different types of media to blush it with depending if you want glossy, satin, or matte finish. 389 probably isn't way over the top since it's a 30 cal. Call them up and talk to Bear or Rit and see what they have to say