• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing A few rock chucks

M700

Private
Minuteman
Jan 8, 2003
Washington State
My youngest son and I went out with the varmint rifles, a 6mm Rem and a .204 Ruger, and nailed a few rock chucks recently. A good time, and a great way to improve marksmanship & field skills:

Yes, he put the ear protection in place before shooting...
IMG_1202.jpg

IMG_1204.jpg

IMG_1203.jpg

Loaded 75 gr Sierra HP's to about 3100 fps for the 6mm Rem, a mild load with good accuracy - and that bullet literally rips the chucks in half.

The little .204 Ruger had 40 gr Hornady V-Max bullets loaded to 3800 fps and was also very effective. Not quite as spectacular, although it did induce one chuck to "fly" when hit!

Regards, Guy

Re: A few rock chucks

Nice shootin an good job. I still love to go for chucks (groundhogs here) was the highlights of my summer w/ dad when we got to go.
Much better than fishing, but that was good to.

Looks like a lot of fun. Big game ought to come easy after making those kinds of shots on chucks.

I hope my boys want to go dogging with me when they get old enough....good stuff!