• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision A few thoughts on Trijicon and N-Vision after using both

BamaSE

Chairborne Squad Commander
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2019
Dothan, Alabama
Over the past couple years I have been the beneficiary of the resources found on this site for my thermal acquisitions, so thought I'd post some info that may be helpful to someone else. I shoot with a Mark 3 Hunter 60 mm, and scan with a Reap 35. Prior to that I also had a Patrol. The Patrol is a great scanner. An issue for me was I could not come up with a helmet mounted dual PVS 14 solution that accommodated my eyeglasses.....at least without some trial and error for which this stuff is too expensive for that! Also, our hunting locations are a mix of woods and open fields. The Patrol is perfect for the woods at 1x. I found at several hundred yards it was great in letting me know something was out there, but in the fields with crops or grown brush then over a couple hundred yards I was reaching for the rifle and the Reap for positive ID. I wound up selling the Patrol, buying the Hunter 60 and converting the Reap to my scanner. This has proved to be a great combination for our hunting areas. However, I would not want the 60 mm without the Reap as a scanner. I prefer to shoot with higher base mag, and anything over 50 yards is where the 60 really does great. Closer in and there is a blurred effect due to the 4.5 base mag. It is less apparent with an actual critter, as I have shot hogs as close in as 30 yards with it, but this time of year with the foliage on the trees every leaf between me and the critter increases that blurred effect. So if one goes this route make sure you have something else with lower mag for scanning or you will be disappointed in the woods. When I sold the Patrol, I also let go of my Pulsar Trail XP 50, which was at that time doing sole duty as the buddy scope. So my plan was to acquire another scope that had lower base mag to use when I knew for certain I'd be set up on a feeder in the woods and swamps, and also be used to fill the need for an extra when I had a guest. I considered converting my Reap for this purpose, but I have come to enjoy it so much as a scanner I decided against that option. Had I done so, I had considered the N-Vision Atlas to serve scanner duty, but in the end decided that no matter which direction I went that if I was going to spend this much money the device better have a crosshair! I narrowed my choices down to the Mark 2 Hunter 35 or the N-Vision Halo 25. In the end I decided to go with the Halo for 2 reasons. One, just because of the hype and wanting to check it out. Two, the size along with the ADM return to zero mount allows the option of it being used as both a scanner and a scope. This way at least the guest does not have to point the rifle to enjoy the view. The day the Halo arrived was rainy. It finally stopped at dark thirty and the temperature held in the low 70s. With high humidity and everything wet, thermal conditions were terrible.......yet perfect for what I wanted to do which was compare both the Halo and Reap. I had already downloaded the manual of the Halo in advance so had a good feel for operations. It was easy to set up. First impressions lived up to the hype as the picture is amazing. I booted up the Reap and held it up as close as I could to get a binocular effect to get a good comparison. I run my Reap in white hot with low brightness to really make the critters stand out, so I had some adjustments between both scopes to get the picture as relative as possible between the two. The Reap is more of the old black and white television image, and the Halo has a greenish hue. The background features such as trees and tree lines, buildings, etc. showed a lot more clarity and differentiation with the Halo. No matter what I did to the Reap, I could not get the same image. Don't get me wrong, it was not a poor quality image by any means, but something about the color hue to the Halo gives it an edge.....in white hot. When I swapped to black hot the images were a lot closer. My neighbor's dog came out for his nightly jaunt. At 120 yards I could tell a difference in clarity with the Reap over the Halo. The dog is medium size, about 40 lbs., and at that distance the Reap picked out every detail such as eyes and hair. The Halo was a little blurred. I think this correlates to the Reap base mag being 2.5x and the Halo 1.75x. Also, the Reap having the extra 10 mm of objective could have been a factor. As the dog rounded the fence and got to 100ish yards the images were pretty close and as it came on closer in they were identical in details. So, the take away from this experience for me was the overall background image quality on the Halo 25 is better than the Reap, but the Reap 35 has an edge on critter clarity at a greater distance. Zeroing the Halo is pretty simple and I got that done with little issue. Initially I had trouble with the cross-hairs moving more than intended, but when I read the directions in more detail realized some nuances on how long the button is held moves the crosshair either 1 or 5 pixels...whatever that means. I also did a quickie online search at the range and found the crosshair moves either 1 MOA or 2 MOA. Not sure which is correct, I hope not 2 MOA! The Reap manual has detailed crosshair movements for each magnification level in the manual. A little more clarity on the crosshair movement in the Halo manual would have been beneficial. But in the end got it dialed in okay. Last night I took the Halo out for its first hunt. Unfortunately the pigs did not cooperate so I was not able to get the first kill, but do have some more takeaways. The Reap was serving scanner duty, and I had to tone down the Halo. We were in the swamp setup about 35 yards from a feeder, and the image detail which is so great was almost overbearing until I lowered the brightness. It was like my brain was processing too much! The temp was cool in the low 50s and I was wearing some very thin gloves, but found I had to take them off to use the button controls. It is not difficult with bare fingers, and I am sure with more practice it will become second nature, but there is definitely an issue for me with the gloves. My Hunter with the knobs is probably the easiest, the Reap I turn on the quick set menu so all I have to do is touch the joystick and it brings up basic commands. Gloves are not an issue on either of these. As far as preference.......I really don't have one. They are all great products. And these are like tools in the toolbox for me.....and the given purpose of each is similar to picking the right screwdriver depending on the type screw head. If I was for certain that in most of my hunting I was going to be shooting less than 150 yards with the occasional longer shot then the Halo 25 would be my choice. For my purpose of having a close in woods/swamp thermal the Halo is perfect. When we are cruising on the buggy or set up over open areas the Hunter 60 is ideal. If there is any question on ID I just shift to the rifle and usually have it figured before my hunting partner can even zoom. And as mentioned earlier, I really like the Reap as a scanner, and if I ever need to I can easily transition back to a scope. For eyeglass wearers, the Trijicon and N-Vision scopes have plenty of eye relief once the rubber eye caps are removed. I did put a Butler Creek flip cap on all of them. One other thing I really like about the Halo is the circle/dot reticle. I wish my Reap or Hunter had that feature. I do like my Reap has armor as I can break or damage about anything. The Halo "feels" better/balanced on my designated rifle than the Reap did. Not sure why, it just does. One of my upcoming observations will be how well a guest takes to using the Halo. With the Pulsar Trail being the buddy scope it was easy. Long battery life, AutoNUC, PIP so no zoom....just put it on white hot and hand it to them. All they had to do was focus and go with it. With the Trijicon and the Halo that will be more challenging as they will at minimum have to understand NUC. At least the Halo like the Hunter does not require much NUCing after initial startup. My Reap has to be NUCed several times in the first few minutes of operation, which can be a PIA. As I get some more time behind the Halo I will report back. We have another hunt planned for Saturday night, so hopefully that first kill will be coming soon.

Nice write up. I have not been behind the Halo but have the 35 mm Reap 1 and the 60 mm reap. I probably would have tried out the Halo LR and not gotten the 60 mm Reap if the mag had been similar. I couldn’t justify the cost benefit of only working up 1x from the Reap at 2.5. Mostly use the 60 to scan and 35 to shoot but maybe rethinking this in a couple of weeks.

Reactions: BamaSE
Does your keyboard not have an ENTER key or something?
LOL when I was typing I was not paying attention, but dang, when I just viewed it as a "thread" realized that is one large block of words.....made me cross-eyed reading my own post!
Will remember that next time I have something rather lengthy to say.

Reactions: AtOne
I use to own a REAP IR as my first thermal and have since sold it for the HALO series. One thing I will say though is that for a hand held thermal 1x scanner, nothing beats the image clarity of the MH 25 that I have looked through (which includes the UTM). Its an amazingly detailed (more so that my past REAP and HALO), shows amazing background clarity, and has the smoothest thermal image I've seen thus far, even in poor conditions with the sharpness and contrast turned all the way up.

Reactions: BamaSE
We went back out Saturday night, but still no kill with the Halo 25. The piggies seem to have vacated our property.....for now. I did spend quite a bit more time behind the Halo, and used it primarily as a scanner. Temp was in the upper 60s, I did not think to check the humidity level.

A few observations.

It works great as a scanner. I took one of my para-cord neck bands and clipped on a short picatinney rail section which allowed the ADM mount to attached. And thus hang from my neck when not in use. It was comfortable, and weight not an issue. I was running Energizer CR123s, and got to the 4 hour and 15 minute mark before swapping them out with new ones. I wanted to run them completely out to get the time on a set figured out, but we decided to go cruising on the buggy and I did not want to have them go dead about the time we rolled up on a critter to shoot. I have Velcro on the top of the scope as well as my rifle stock to mount an Anker battery pack in either position. But knowing I was going to be taking it on and off the rifle opted for batteries to make the familiarization process with doing so a little more convenient. I was very pleased with the CR123 battery life though and glad that it at least gets 4 hours. I may bulk order a batch of CR123s and run it off those instead of the Anker if I am swapping it out as a scanner.

I will have to run the scope more with the Anker to really see which location I prefer. Just testing around the house, I tilt toward the stock location over the top of the scope. I will definitely have to get a shorter cord for both locations. Mine is long and has the straight connector instead of the right angle connector. I have to wrap the extra cord around the scope a few times which is a bit of a nuisance. On the Hunter, I get 4.5 to 5 hours off the Energizers. On the Reap with the IRX kit I usually get 2 hours and 15 minutes to 2 hours and 45 minutes per set of batteries when running 30 HZ. I think the amount of NUCing plays a role in the battery life and the Reap definitely has to be NUCed a lot more than either the Hunter or the Halo. I have the TNVC TRB battery kit which works on both the REAP and Hunter. It will run all night and then some, but was not using it on this hunt.

I am right handed, so generally was using my left hand/left eye to scan while driving. I found if I used my left pinky to hold down the front cover, then reach over the top with my right hand to hit the NUC button it was a much easier task to perform. My first use as a scope I wore gloves and had a lot of difficulty in locating the buttons, but I think had I used this process instead it would have been easier, even with the gloves.

My hunting partner this evening had some familiarity with thermals having put time behind both the Trail XP50 and Helion XP38. I was able to get him oriented to the Reap 35 fairly quickly. He ran that as a scanner and I let him use the Hunter 60 on the rifle. The quick set menu is really helpful for someone not familiar with the device, the downside being he could not reconfigure the settings (brightness, contract, etc.) as conditions changed and we went from fields to woods. I tweaked it for him a couple times, and can probably get him more familiarized next time, but kept it simple this go round. On the Hunter, I kept the menu positioned where all he had to to was close the lid and turn the knob to NUC. Again simple.

As far as performance between the Reap and Halo as scanners.....biggest difference was in the swamp. The trees and vegetation really have a more definitive image with the Halo. The woods are fairly open with some shorter vegetation. We could see 100 +/- yards in front of us to where the woods drop off into the marsh and standing water....which is from where the pigs usually come to the feeder. Periodically a coon or possum would appear off in the woods right at the marsh edge and my partner with the Reap (both units being on base mag) could call it before me on which species. We'd both see it, and while I was looking for details to give a PID clue, he'd name it almost as soon as it was visible. I think this goes back to the slightly more magnification with the REAP over the Halo which helps at distance with these smaller critters. Anything larger such as a deer or pig would have gotten a PID instantly with the HALO. Both units picked up critters equally well and I watched several mice in the trees and on the ground with the Halo at varying distance no problem.

The most interesting observation of the night came while cruising along one of the roads and I saw a deer 50-60 yards off in the woods......he was peeing and yep the Halo picked that up along with the warm spot on the ground when he ambled off.

Overall it was a good night getting more familiar with the Halo. And I am more than pleased with the dual use as a scanner and scope. We'll probably swap to another farm next weekend and see if we can come cross some piggies and break the Halo on properly. At some point I will take the Halo/rifle back to the range to test for any POI movement after taking it on and off and advise on any notable difference.

I thought by now I could have updated my Halo 25 performance with some hog kills. But it is still a cherry. My successful hunts over the past few weeks have been at farms that are very large open fields and so my couple of kills have been with the Trijicon Hunter 60. Our goto place for which the Halo 25 is best suited has small 5-10 acre fields, open hardwood bottoms, mature planted pines, and river bottom with marsh....ideal hog habitat for which we have been overrun the past several years........yet for the past few weeks they have disappeared, but that is another subject.

I do have some comments to add about the batteries and mount. I have been tracking the time on batteries and I am up to 5.5 hours with the current set of Energizer Lithiums. It has been cut on and off several times, and NUCed a lot. It sits on a center console and shooting arm rest while we are in the buggy and I have a habit of just periodically closing the lid and NUCing whether it needs it or not just to keep the best image. Longest consistent time this set has run is 4.5 hours, and it was 52 degrees that night. I am very pleased with this and may not be running a Anker at all. I did obtain a bulk load of the $1.00 Titanium Innovations 123s off Battery Junction that several folks here have recommended. My next test will be to see how long those run versus the Energizers.

The ADM mount is return to zero.....at least for my minute of hog purposes. I had pulled the Halo on and off several times and used as a scanner. It was mounted on my Daniel Defense DDM4V7 in 6.8 and when I took it to the range it was still plinking the hand warmer at 100 yards. Since then I have moved it to the LWRC Six8 as I moved the scope off that rifle and wanted to day scope my Daniel Defense again. The LWRC also has an AAC 7.62 SDN 6 and the Daniel Defense is unsuppressed. Even moving it over to the LWRC the elevation did not vary. Windage shifted to the left on the cardboard just off the edge of the hand warmer. One movement and it was dialed in and I even went back a couple evenings ago to double check. I have not popped it on and off the LWRC yet to make sure it holds zero, but at the general ranges I am shooting at with this rifle (30-150 yards) I am confident it will be fine based on my experience with the DD.

Reap is still around my neck as my scanner which is the highest and best use for me right now. Hunter 60 has been moved from the LWRC to a POF Revolution .308. I need to bust the cherry on that rifle too. Just got it sighted in this weekend. Been seeing some intermittent hog activity on the cameras at the feeders since the weekend. Hope that will turn into regular activity we can get on them soon and I can get a kill with the Halo 25 finally.

Reactions: MilesDyson
IMG_1878.jpg

Finally got around to sharing a picture of my gear. Recently put the Halo 25 on the LWRC and moved the Hunter 60 over to the new POF Revolution. The Reap has the base taken off so it lays flat against my chest. I have the reticle turned off and run it 30 HZ to get as much run time as possible with the IRX rechargeable kit. I have one of those little Surefire IR/white lights I keep tethered to my neck strap. When I am walking in the woods with the PVS-14 in areas with thicker vegetation I have found the helmet IR causes too much back splash. Having it on the neck strap I can direct the beam where I want it to go. I just make sure when I am wearing it that the light is positioned where it cannot touch the Reap and I have to be extra cautious when I take the strap off not to let the light swing or drop and hit the Reap lens. Closing the Butler Creek flip cap helps with that too.

Reactions: NFAJohn
View attachment 7325933
Finally got around to sharing a picture of my gear. Recently put the Halo 25 on the LWRC and moved the Hunter 60 over to the new POF Revolution. The Reap has the base taken off so it lays flat against my chest. I have the reticle turned off and run it 30 HZ to get as much run time as possible with the IRX rechargeable kit. I have one of those little Surefire IR/white lights I keep tethered to my neck strap. When I am walking in the woods with the PVS-14 in areas with thicker vegetation I have found the helmet IR causes too much back splash. Having it on the neck strap I can direct the beam where I want it to go. I just make sure when I am wearing it that the light is positioned where it cannot touch the Reap and I have to be extra cautious when I take the strap off not to let the light swing or drop and hit the Reap lens. Closing the Butler Creek flip cap helps with that too.

Which butler creek is that on the Ocular of the Reap? Sweet setup