• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

A Giant Awakens

Re: A Giant Awakens

Great sport. I played loose head prop on a men's team when I was 15-16 until I avulsed my ACL (ripped it out of the bone). I was probably (ok I was) playing too hard at too young of an age.

I saw some Rugby yesterday and heard of the rule about no bleeding on the field - that sure wasn't how I remember playing.

wink.gif

I was watching the Collegiate Rugby yesterday on ESPN. What a cool game.

We used to play a pick up game with a football called 'Smear the Queer' that reminds me quite a bit of Rugby.

Damn rugged game!

PB: Flanker and 2nd here..
Queeg: Its pretty much like smeer with rules
Guess when I played the rules were fairly loose, blood happened an hits were hits. The "wrap" up rule wasnt exactly recalled or everything was dubbed an "attempt".

The problem with Rugby here in the US is that there are still very few well-organized leagues outside of school/collegiate ones. In Europe and South Africa one could play against other amateur teams composed of adults almost every weekend - even the Barbarians all had day jobs.

....spoken as a former Hooker(not <span style="font-style: italic">that</span> kind of hooker).

I hear it takes leather balls to play rugby.

I play #6 (Blindside Flanker) in the pack. Lots of fun but I had to sit out the last few games of the spring season when baby number 2 showed up and school got busy. Looking forward to the fall.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goldie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hear it takes leather balls to play rugby. </div></div>Nah, it's just a less organized way to give blood.
wink.gif

Rugby is my first love. Played Club here, 1996 Div. 2 National Champions, All Navy, Combined Services, International. It's the most fantastic game out there.

There is little reason why we cannot dominate outside of the fact it's still a foreign sport to the US. If it's ever taken seriously here then we will dominate.

I'm surprised at how many forwards we've got on the Hide! I was tighthead prop (#3) all fours years of college. There's no better team sport in existence. Practice together, lift together, play together, and party together. Ahhh, the good ol' days!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ZLBubba</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Practice together, lift together, play together, and party together. Ahhh, the good ol' days!</div></div>If you've ever swapped DNA with another man and it wasn't a sexual experience... then you've played Rugby.
laugh.gif

filled the role as a fly half...

Rugby... Elegant violence

Does its lack of growth have anything to do with it being seen as an Ivy League sport?

I am South African, so it goes without saying that the sport is in my blood.

In my opinion it has zero with it being perceived as an ivy league sport. The problem is plain and simple: lack of media coverage. Also, it has the reputation of being a beer fest where you play some rugby. The perception needs to be changed to a serious sport.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jericho</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does its lack of growth have anything to do with it being seen as an Ivy League sport? I am South African, so it goes without saying that the sport is in my blood. </div></div>I don't think so. It's probably that too many things go missing when a South African Rugby team comes to town...like bus stops, phone booths, road signs.... just sayin'....
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jericho</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does its lack of growth have anything to do with it being seen as an Ivy League sport? I am South African, so it goes without saying that the sport is in my blood. </div></div>I don't think so. It's probably that too many things go missing when a South African Rugby team comes to town...like bus stops, phone booths, road signs.... just sayin'....
grin.gif
</div></div>
Gotta keep up the tackling skills, as well as rucking...mauling..an well general.."hey watch this"
I have noticed it picking up more in high schools here in the area. Which is great, I think it would really catch on as Mike said if it had better media coverage. Screw the NFL put some rugby on in the fall, no sissy rules protecting one player more than another and people playing because they have heart an want to not for a check...

...and once, I even heard that Rugby players eat their dead...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...and once, I even heard that Rugby players eat their dead... </div></div>

Only if they have been basted in beer.
wink.gif

"I don't think so. It's probably that too many things go missing when a South African Rugby team comes to town...like bus stops, phone booths, road signs.... just sayin'.... "

Wait till their soccer team arrives...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In my opinion it has zero with it being perceived as an ivy league sport. The problem is plain and simple: lack of media coverage. Also, it has the reputation of being a beer fest where you play some rugby. The perception needs to be changed to a serious sport. </div></div>

I thought drinking beer is a serious sport?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jericho</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In my opinion it has zero with it being perceived as an ivy league sport. The problem is plain and simple: lack of media coverage. Also, it has the reputation of being a beer fest where you play some rugby. The perception needs to be changed to a serious sport. </div></div>

I thought drinking beer is a serious sport? </div></div>

Rugby and alcohol consumption are both serious sports where I went to college...

I'm not much for watching sports on television. Rugby and open wheel road racing are 2 that I'll make exceptions for.

Played the game from ten up until my early thirties. No better team game. No show boating, silly little dances or gangsta mentality. Just getting on with it and enjoying the camaraderie afterwards in the pub with the opposing team ( and their girlfriends...).

Started out as lock and ended up as blind side flanker.

I agree that if the US decided they wanted to play it seriously then the athletic talent here could see us being serious contenders.