• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors A gift from my Grandfather

mattj

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 25, 2007
Seattle, WA
I was in town visiting my 90+ year old Grandfather this past weekend. Out of the blue he told me to go under his bed and take what was there home with me. There, in condition 3, well oiled, wrapped in plastic, and sitting in a leather holster was this beauty:
DSC_3913.jpg

DSC_3912.jpg

I need to get more details from him, but I believe it was purchased surplus just after he got out of the service after WWII. Perfect working condition, no rust, and a ton of 'character'.

Serial is 1034XX -- I'm not a 1911 expert, but from what I can gather, I think that makes it an early-ish M1911 that appears to have been arsenal rebuilt to M1911a1 configuration at some point. I know that it hasn't been modified in any way since he purchased it.

I've always wanted a 1911 -- I couldn't think of a better first.

Current value: ???
Sentimental value: Priceless

Thought some of you guys might appreciate.

Re: A gift from my Grandfather

Nice! Definately post WWI to WWII(or real close) manufacture from the data on the sides. Looks like Granda wasn't messin around either with those HP's.
You could go through it internally, replace everything, and leave the outside alone, or refurbish it to as issued.
A good .45 is dang hard to beat

very nice gift he gave you. don't see many in that condition these days. history would be nice to know, who knows what stories it could tell.

Did he leave you a Grand Tourino too?
laugh.gif
Thats fantastic!!! I would'nt lay a hand or replace anything on her. As it was is as it is and how it would forever be if it were me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shane45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did he leave you a Grand Tourino too?
laugh.gif
Thats fantastic!!! I would'nt lay a hand or replace anything on her. As it was is as it is and how it would forever be if it were me.</div></div>

Yeah, I'm with you there, I don't think I can bring myself to alter it in any way.

When I have a chance to get more information from him about it, I'll be sure to share it with you guys.

If it runs, leave it alone.

My Grandpa gave me his M1 Garand. Although I don't get a lot of trigger time (just now getting setup to load .30'06) it's probably my favorite out of my collection.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mattj</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shane45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did he leave you a Grand Tourino too?
laugh.gif
Thats fantastic!!! I would'nt lay a hand or replace anything on her. As it was is as it is and how it would forever be if it were me.</div></div>

Yeah, I'm with you there, I don't think I can bring myself to alter it in any way.

When I have a chance to get more information from him about it, I'll be sure to share it with you guys.
</div></div> +1 Agree, Leave it as is. Its been fine for the last XX years and many generations. I'd leave it to pass it on to your next.

Nice. I'd leave it alone too. I might add a video and written explanation (from him) explaining where and how he came across it and the rest of the story. They too will become priceless.

Wow! Congrats on a terrific gift.
My father and I were just talking the other day about post-war surplus guns. He said that in the late 50's/early 60's you could buy .45's for $9 and M1 Carbines for $15. If we only knew then what we know now.

And props to your grampy for keeping loaded with HP's!

I was given my grandfathers USGI 1911 when I was too young to appreciate what I had. Don't mess with it at all in terms of modifications, you'll regret it.....just like I do.

That's awesome! Keep it as is, and keep on the tradition of passing it down when the time is right.

Matt:
Leave it alone. Only thing you might do is renew the mag, main and FP springs.

I have a Rem-Rand GI(or maybe a Smith Corona, can't remember) that my dad bought from DCM surplus back in the early fifties. I remember him bitching how the price went up to $12 form 8 !!
I have the orininal paper of that purchase with it.
Also one from his older Bro that he took off a dead Filipino the second time he was there.

Enjoy.

Alan

I too was given an E Nickle 70 series Commander 15 years ago by my grandfather. It was my first 1911 and I wanted to add all the bells and whistles.

Well...I did and I wish more than anything I could go back to the day I dropped it off at my local smith's. I plan to some day send it to a real smith like Bob Miller or someone of that quality to get a tasteful re-do. I sometimes lose sleep at night thinking of what I have done.

No matter how many Wilson's Baers, Browns, YoBo's Etc you may end up with this one will always be the crown jewel of your collection

I hope to pass on a legacy like that one day.

My girlfriend's grandfather gave me an RTS starter pistol and told me it was a .32 boot gun he used to carry...I fear for his safety sometimes...

But he also gave me an Arisaka Type 99 for helping him clean his guns, soooo, whatev.

Leave it alone. Some of the older parts used in those pistols are better parts than what you find on the market today.

Nice pistol BTW

looks to be altered already.....parked slide and blue frame ????

i just had a visit with a 1911 collector at the local market hall Dallas Texas show....he is published....pm me for his contact info.

Leave it alone!!
smile.gif

My gramps gave me a 1947 Winchester Model 24 side by side shotgun - buttplate cracked and was going to put a new cushioned one on it but nah - I'll find another original...

I know that my Grandpa didn't have anything done to it, and I'm pretty sure he purchased it surplus from the gov't after the war (still need to talk to him and get more details).

I was looking at it and various Internet pictures more, at it appears that it still has the M1911 trigger (the A1 appears to "stick out" much less).. so I'm thinking when the Augusta Arsenal rebuilt the thing that they replaced whatever needed replacing with what they had on hand, which must have been A1 parts --- so it may be kind of M1911 - M1911A1 mutt. Maybe not best for the collector's value but I don't really care about that so much -- I'm never selling it. To me, just kind of makes it unique and adds character.

Boltripper - PM sent. Thanks.

Don't worry guys, have no plans to do anything to it (other than shoot it).

-Matt

Fantasic gift. Did you let him know I am up for adoption?
Early 1911 frame and hammer. I'm not sure about the slide but it is a military contract as per the two tone finish. Leave it as is and enjoy.

Over the yrs I have had a number of those: your slide looks to be two-tone -it really is not but it was a treament and I ????- I recall having one like that...DO NOT ALTER THIS COLT...

knew I shoulda kept all that info on WW1 and WW2 45's...grrrrrrrr

Its already been said several times over: Congrats on a great pistol and even better grandpa. Look forward to hearing more of the story regarding its past.

SWEET MOTHER OF GOD.

Your grandfather is a champ.

If you mess with that gun you deserve a month-long ass-whippin', medical treatment, then another ass-whippin'.

The slide is two-tone (it was annealed/hardened forward), it has the proper long trigger and hammer. Barrel should be blued vice parkerized. Slide markings are proper and it has WWII-era Keyes grips.

Don't store it in the leather holster if you can prevent it -- you run the risk of the tannic acid in the leather messing with your finish.

==================

Colt M1911: Serial numbers 89,801 to 108,601 = July 20, 1914 to Feb. 8, 1915

Thanks guys. I will get around to getting more history on it and share it with you.

His wife of 63 years (had been together 70) recently died pretty abruptly from cancer, so I want to give him more time before bugging him about it.

God bless your grandfather and his generation. Store that Colt in a lot of grease and pass it on to your grand children.