• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

A Giraud setup question

ReaperDriver

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Sep 5, 2009
    Vegas Baby!
    I've been borrowing a Giraud case trimmer (LOVE IT!!!) from a shooting buddy and its the best thing since sliced bread. My only beef with it is the method for adjusting the shell-holder to get to the correct case length. Its seems for as well engineered as the unit is, the way the shellholder adjusts with the locking ring is kinda low tech.

What I'm running into is that I get the case to the perfect length by trial and error, but then when I go to lock down the locking ring, it usually moves the shellholder with it just enough to cause the case length to now be slightly too short. Then I have to back it out and start over again. I often swap out between .308 and .223, so this is a total PITA.

Is there a better technique to get this set without the locking ring turning the shellholder with it? Is there anything in the works from Giraud along the lines of a micrometer adjustment. It would be nice if I could find the correct setting and just set it there whenever I change out, jus tlike I can do with my Redding micrometer seating die. Something along those lines.

I'm getting ready to by my own and just wanted to get some advice if people have found a better way. Thanks in advance.

Re: A Giraud setup question

What I did was replace the lock nut with a Forster die lock ring, and I put a mark with a sharpie at 12 o'clock, the engraved marks on the unit is a point of reference now, don't expect every case to be exactly the same, they will very a thou or two, a micrometer would be nice but would also tack on more money for the unit, and IMHO it's not needed, I plan on buying a case holder and blade assy for each cal I load for.

Rather than buy the forester locking rings, i suggest the Hornady ones. They have flats machined for the use of a 1 18" wrench to crank them down for perfect repeatablity.

423110_M1.jpg

I'm using the Hornady lock rings with the witness mark method . Just leave the lock ring on the shell holder and screw it in to the same spot every time . When I adjust the cutter for different calibers I'll use a trimmed case to set the blade to to speed things up and get it close with the least amount of fiddling . Caliber specific cutters would be nice but there not cheap .

I'm using the locking ring-witness method. I cannabalized a set of RCBS locking rings off an unused set of dies. This does work great. I do wish I could figure out a way to make the cutter adjustments from .308 to .223 a bit easier ....

Hornady lock rings are your friend. If the case is a thou short, it's not going to be that big of an issue.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SND</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm using the locking ring-witness method. I cannabalized a set of RCBS locking rings off an unused set of dies. This does work great. I do wish I could figure out a way to make the cutter adjustments from .308 to .223 a bit easier .... </div></div>

Do you have the new style or old style cutting heads? The one I borrowed from my friend has both .223 and .308 quick change heads. It literally takes 2 min to switch them out. The only thing that was taking a while was adjusting the shell-holder down to get the case length correct. But swapping the cutter heads with the newer QC setup is SOOOO easy.

Reaper ask LVMIKE about his new discovery with the Giraud, mine's still yours at the price we talked about if you still want it after talking with Mike.

I just received the Giraud about a week ago. I have used Hornady locking rings on both .308 and .223 case holders. With a witness mark it's very easy to change between case holders quickly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SNATCHER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Reaper ask LVMIKE about his new discovery with the Giraud, mine's still yours at the price we talked about if you still want it after talking with Mike. </div></div>

pray tell?

I bought my machine about 1 1/2 yrs ago with only one cutting head. Sounds like there may be a new style. The head on my machine is threaded and I can quick change it if I sprung for another one - leaving one head set for 223 and the other for 308. Unfortunately I'm a bit .... thrifty so I just haven't sprung for a second head. Either way, it's a helluva a machine that tends to keep me behind the trigger more than the reloading bench!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SND</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bought my machine about 1 1/2 yrs ago with only one cutting head. Sounds like there may be a new style. The head on my machine is threaded and I can quick change it if I sprung for another one - leaving one head set for 223 and the other for 308. Unfortunately I'm a bit .... thrifty so I just haven't sprung for a second head. Either way, it's a helluva a machine that tends to keep me behind the trigger more than the reloading bench!!!! </div></div>

Not aware of a new head..???

I've got 3 cutting heads set for .223, .243, and .308. The .243 and .308 share the shell holder as it's only a hundredth or so difference... And +1 on the locking rings!

Get a set of Skip's Shims and your troubles will be behind you. Set your head up with a locking ring on your most common brass that has been full length sized. Tighten that baby up with your locking ring. Now when you have varying trim lengths for different brass or different chambers of the same caliber you just slip a shim under the locking ring.
    http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/cid=5744/Products/Die_Shims

I use Forster rings as well (although the Hornady look like an improvement).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rather than buy the forester locking rings, i suggest the Hornady ones. They have flats machined for the use of a 1 18" wrench to crank them down for perfect repeatablity.

423110_M1.jpg
    </div></div>

get the Hornady rings and be done with it.