• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

A good man with a gun.

Good for him. Just think how this would have turned out in a "gun free" area.

It's going to be rather difficult for him, in fact:

9. Health and Safety
All MHS Operating Units shall comply with all applicable government rules and regulations that promote the protection of workplace health and safety. It is the policy of MHS to provide a safe work environment for all employees. In order to provide this safe work environment, each Operating Unit will inform and train all employees about the hazards and risks involved with chemicals with which they may come in contact at work. After providing information concerning such chemicals and their proper use, the Operating Unit will provide any and all protective equipment needed for the safe use of such chemicals. Each affected employee will attend all required training programs and use any protective equipment required for the safe use of chemicals on the job. Employees are prohibited from bringing firearms or explosives of any kind into the workplace.

Code of Conduct - Mercy Health System - Southeastern PA

It's going to be rather difficult for him, in fact:

I figured there was a law or regulation prohibiting him from carrying in a hospital. I carry everywhere, I would rather be incarcerated for having my pistol than murdered for following shit laws.

This happened about ten years ago in Mass General Hospital Boston. Difference it was a patient that did a mozambique drill on a patient that was carving up his psychiatrist and rampaging in the halls.

The shooter underwent the most scrutiny - "why was he carrying", "Oh he wants to be a PO he is a mall ninja", "was he seeing a psyche lets open up HIPAA and look at his history"

Everyone seemed to pity the guy shot and was anally probing the guy that stopped the threat. The doc was carved up well and at the time gave thanks to the shooter. Sadly some three to four years later she was kind of saying "Well perhaps it could have been handled better".

Thankfully the ADA balled up, declared it a fantastic shoot and let the matter die.

I hope the kid is on the BPD now.

DA says MGH shooting ‘justified’ - The Boston Globe

Edit - My bad 5 years ago. Time sure does fly.

You guys never heard of this happening in one of the worlds most prestigious hospitals? How odd, not!

Last edited:
The MD was in an outpatient building, connected to the hospital. Not sure if the gun free hospital zone will apply. Also, many MDs have hospital privileges, and are not employees. He might be in only moderately hot water over the matter. He is, however, alive.

The time for concerning yourself with proper legal foothold in a situation,almost demand diving headlong into the abyss of uncertainty,such is the nature of the laws we are faced with nowdays. Common sense and a sense of fairness should carry you thru such a predicament. Was this MD going to do anything other than protect himself or his charge? I think not. Good for him.

Common sense and a sense of fairness should carry you thru such a predicament.

You would think so. However that is not how our legal system works.

Because of that, I am less and less inclined to intervene in any violent episode unless I or someone directly connected to me is threatened. If others choose to be unarmed and defenseless, that's a choice they made as adults and will have to live or die from the consequences of their choice.

The MD was in an outpatient building, connected to the hospital. Not sure if the gun free hospital zone will apply. Also, many MDs have hospital privileges, and are not employees. He might be in only moderately hot water over the matter. He is, however, alive.

Hospital gun free zones are a state by state deal. I have not found evidence that PA makes hospitals prohibited places by statute.

IMO, and IANAL, the doc is legally OK. He might find himself unemployed or stripped of his hospital/clinic priviledges by Mercy Hospital. But he's alive.

Last edited:
Hospital gun free zones are a state by state deal. I have not found evidence that PA makes hospitals prohibited places by statute.

IMO, and IANAL, the doc is legally OK. He might find himself unemployed or stripped of his hospital/clinic priviledges by Mercy Hospital. But he's alive.

If he's been informed that the administration of the hospital forbids firearms on the premises, be it through signage, an employee manual, or a direct verbal communication from an authorized agent of the hospital administration, it's defiant trespass here.

If he's been informed that the administration of the hospital forbids firearms on the premises, be it through signage, an employee manual, or a direct verbal communication from an authorized agent of the hospital administration, it's defiant trespass here.

And that is simply a summary offense, since he was not trespassing in school grounds and he was never verbally told to leave the premises. See 18 Pa. Cons. Stat. § 3503(b)(2).

It's not even a misdeamenor.

Last edited:
Might be too much to hope for, but I would love for the medical community to rally round this doctor. Where I live (Sparrow Fart, TN), the doc would be lauded as a hero. Little tolerance for BS like the shooter pulled in my AO. Of course, the intelligentsia look at things differently. I have a CCW and always triple check for a sidearm before I walk into a courthouse. If i did accidently make it through the metal detector with a boomdinger and did use it in a justifies shooting, i might be OK, but you never know.

So he's trespass for bringing a firearm to work, what's it amount to? He's a live, and who knows how many others because of his decision to be armed.

The odds are against it going well for him as far as his employer.

The media here has been commenting on how many more bullets the attacker was carrying, and how many more he could have shot, which helps to paint the right picture. Who would have thought that would happen here?

The odds are against it going well for him as far as his employer.

The media here has been commenting on how many more bullets the attacker was carrying, and how many more he could have shot, which helps to paint the right picture. Who would have thought that would happen here?

Ask some of the whining idiots from the Inky to define a "weapons cache." It's liable to be anything from a bag of dried peas and a McDonald's straw on up.

I wonder if they'll touch on how many magazines the doc had?

:rolleyes:

Ask some of the whining idiots from the Inky to define a "weapons cache." It's liable to be anything from a bag of dried peas and a McDonald's straw on up.

I wonder if they'll touch on how many magazines the doc had?

:rolleyes:

Kinda like that "new York arsenal" I posted a while back. Its all part of the plan, term our collections arsenals or caches, get the public to fear us. I wonder what they would say if they saw inside my gun room?

Just heard on talk radio that the local DA is.....get ready.......PRAISING THE DOCTOR. The doc might still be out of work, but it sounds like he has some support from the legal community.

He got it done and did well but the bad guy still had to be wrestled down by two other good guys.

Jury's out on that. I think it may have been more of holding him down, but we'll know more as details continue to be revealed.

The doctor is not out of a job:
A Mercy Fitzgerald Health Systems spokesman said Thursday it was against hospital policy for anyone other than "on-duty law enforcement" to carry weapons but a subsequent statement from a Mercy spokeswoman yesterday said, "We look forward to Dr. Silverman's return to serving patients at our hospital."

This exact situation needs to be used and propped up to finally, once and for all, do away with Gun Free Zones.

Well, it's been said before "better to be be judged by twelve than carried by six". Best wishes to the Doc.