• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

A good read...Lapua vs SMK and Berger

Re: A good read...Lapua vs SMK and Berger

that was a good read. thanks!

Fantastic read, thanks for posting it. And as always, great work Mr. Litz!

Good read. I was previously lead to believe that meplat uniformity was more a factor vs. diameter once the tip reached minimal OD as in these examples.

The compacted atmosphere per o-give or profile and resultant drag on bullet profile supposidly negated a finer metplat point. A point to one prior read was in VLD construction and that nylon or alternate material tipped bullets are relatively unused in VLD applications.

Perhaps it's more the discontinuity or cost in manufacture. The linked report from BL has measured data. I'm not doubting it.

Although a sound analysis, this article is badly in need of an update. Since writing this about 5 years ago, Berger has introduces two 155 class bullets that are both better than the VLD which is discussed in the article, and Sierra has also come out with a better 155 grain Palma bullet (the 2156). Also Lapua has updated all their assessed BC's to include G7 BC's, and the numbers are very close to what I've measured for their bullets.

Basically it can be considered a good historical analysis, but we have much better options now.

-Bryan

Glad Bryan chimed in, I was going to say "that article is OLD!"

It's interesting to note, for those who aren't anywhere close to being able to shoot Palma, how very close all of those bullets are in actual performance. Just swapping projectiles isn't sufficient to make up for a lack of skill behind the rifle or reading the wind. For my purposes, I'm better served going to a 'lesser' bullet that may cause an extra inch or two of wind drift at a thousand, in exchange for being able to shoot 20-30% more rounds for the same cost of components.

If you like that article, you MUST get Brian's book. I've never thoroughly understood external ballistics until I read his book. It's expensive, but worth every penny. I inherited an old aerodynamics text from my father's studies at Purdue that I cherish. I expect my son will someday get Brian's book from me.