• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

A great day to not be traveling through ATL

bogeybrown

0369/8531
Minuteman
Aug 21, 2012
AL
That's a big assed airport to get stuck in, what a shit show !

That's a big assed airport to get stuck in, what a shit show !

That's what I'm trying to wrap my head around: it wasn't a temp interruption in a terminal or concourse. From reports it sounds like a 100% blackout from the front doors to the boarding gates. Can you imagine being stuck on the Plane Train UNDER the airport in the fucking pitch black? From the article it sounded as though they couldn't even get the sliding front doors to the airport open. Fuck that shit.

I got caught in DFW one night on my way back into the country with tornadoes shutting down the whole airport and some fairly minor power outages. I asked to be let outside and was told if I did that I couldn't come back inside until the next morning. I said fine and laid out in the rain reading a book and smoking cigs while thousands of folks were locked in the airport. The next morning that place looked like Kandahar with fuckers sleeping everywhere, trash all over, people finding their shirt stolen, etc. I will never be willingly locked inside a building with mass crowds, no means of egress, and even a minor crisis. I wonder how much crime happened in ATL while they tried to get it sorted.

Isn't one of our brethren down there... Tryimg to get home??? Travel,safe buddies.... Sirhr.

I see you are back, TheGerman .... it was you I was thinking of and I wasn't sure if it was last week or this week that you were down there.

Didn't open your thread until just now, but would have suggested grabbing the rental car and going down to the Infantry Museum at Benning. About 70 miles away. Worth the visit.

Cheers and glad you dodged the Atlanta Airfield Bullet, so to speak!

Sirhr

I will never be willingly locked inside a building with mass crowds, no means of egress, and even a minor crisis.

A-fucking-men

The only time I've ever been "locked down" in my life was at USN nuke school when it was in Orlando (1988). The fucks who ran the base would lock every building up if t-storms/lightning were in the area. I was HOT AS FUCK being locked up in there. I seriously thought about choking the fuck out the Lt(jg) section leader who would not let us out......

Wouldn't look good in front of a GCM to choke out a superior officer (I was a boot Ensign)

What gets me is what dip shits designed that electrical utility scheme? I have done utility work at many major airports, most of it was loop fed, multiple substations, multiple transmission sources, along with diesel generation for aircraft lighting, radar, control tower, and other critical infrastructure. All the airports I have worked at you would loose only sections, unless there was a complete regional transmission loss, which at that point airport power outage would be minimal concern.

Like others said, fuck ATL.

1256057427617.jpg?1318992465.jpg125605746127120110724-22047-1x0h48v.jpg?1318992465.jpg
Are you stuck there now?

LOL

Thank God I'm not. Somehow we flew in the day before the 'blizzard' and then left on Tuesday when everything was normal.

I posted in my Atlanta thread about what an absolute joke the weather and snow were, yet it fucking SHUT. DOWN. EVERYTHING.

We had gotten a notice at out hotel (Marriott Marquis, its a gigantic downtown high-rise) where they said due to inclement weather, room service and maid services are suspended. We literally laughed as we walked outside 10 minutes later and there wasn't a flake of snow to be seen anywhere, and the ground was dry. Yet the 'blizzard' from the day before, which had now managed to already dissipate had basically shut shit down for 3 days. This is some well run scam somehow, there's no way this is real. If you watched the news on Friday when it snowed and didn't look at the video feed, you would have sworn by the way they were freaking out that they had just gotten 5 feet of napalm snow or something. They lost power somewhere outside of the city as well that day and from looking around at how outdated and dilapidated the power infrastructure was even downtown, I think I know the reason; hint, its not 'a huge amount of snow'.

I lived in Chicago for 4 years; if Atlanta got the snow we didn't even basically notice because its a Tuesday, they'd have shut everything down years ago and never reopened. The wife and I travel a lot for conferences/classes for her job. We always manage to have fun regardless of what happens or where we end up. Even though we did make due and didn't let the weather stupidity bother us, it was a first when she said there was no reason for us to ever go back.

P.S. - Atlanta, you are a joke.

Attachments

• 1256057416415.jpg?1318992465.jpg
    1256057416415.jpg?1318992465.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Can it really be called a redundant system if it is parked right next to the primary system. Dumbasses.

.... not a single bite. I'm ashamed of ya'll.... what stature of 'Hide membership are all ya'll, when you pass over a perfectly fine Christmas opportunity. A true Hide'r wouldda been on that like chocolate on a Playboy Bunny at Easter!

Dad was a captain with TWA, I grew up at airports. Id play with the mechanics in the hangers while he did business. After 911 when I went to pick up a buddy and there were guys with M4's it was a rude awakening that "Life in America aint what it used to be.".

Have you ever noticed that after a long wait and flight everybody smells like stale cheeseburgers, no matter what they ate?

I quit flying and avoid airports like the plague.

That's what I'm trying to wrap my head around: it wasn't a temp interruption in a terminal or concourse. From reports it sounds like a 100% blackout from the front doors to the boarding gates. Can you imagine being stuck on the Plane Train UNDER the airport in the fucking pitch black? From the article it sounded as though they couldn't even get the sliding front doors to the airport open. Fuck that shit.

I got caught in DFW one night on my way back into the country with tornadoes shutting down the whole airport and some fairly minor power outages. I asked to be let outside and was told if I did that I couldn't come back inside until the next morning. I said fine and laid out in the rain reading a book and smoking cigs while thousands of folks were locked in the airport. The next morning that place looked like Kandahar with fuckers sleeping everywhere, trash all over, people finding their shirt stolen, etc. I will never be willingly locked inside a building with mass crowds, no means of egress, and even a minor crisis. I wonder how much crime happened in ATL while they tried to get it sorted.

That plane train was what I was thinking about as well, no thanks. I heard on some news channel that a rat might have chewed the insulation and caused the fire, so much for maintenance inspections. And I don't believe it for a minute. Also having the back up cabling for the emergency back up generators that close to the primary is BS. It had better be a wake up call to every airport out there. Check for rats.