• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

A.I AXSR - Factory Competition Trigger setting

frank320

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 8, 2019
As it came from A.I factory, the first stage travel is set to full length, which makes it way longer than most of my rifles.
Then, the over-travel is also set by the factory to be at max over-travel, which again makes it way longer than most of my other rifles.

It does seem like A.I makes it hard on purpose to get in and adjust this trigger, having to deal with the awkward "angled" action screw under the mag release, then having to remove the roll pin and trigger to make adjustments.

Before I take a wrench and decide to get into it, any reason/s one should not get into adjusting this trigger to one's liking? Maybe like "You are a moron, all factory triggers from A.I are perfect. You should never touch it"?

I do not speak from experience (AX owner with regular trigger, never adjusted), but I have read of quite a few people trying to adjust the AI comp trigger and messing them up. If you do it, I’d first read up on other’s trials and travails.

I agree. I am not messing with the sear or first/second stage weight, etc... all I want to do is simply reduce first stage travel and reduce over-travel, not all the way, but somewhere mid-point.

Reactions: carbonbased
As it came from A.I factory, the first stage travel is set to full length, which makes it way longer than most of my rifles.
Then, the over-travel is also set by the factory to be at max over-travel, which again makes it way longer than most of my other rifles.

It does seem like A.I makes it hard on purpose to get in and adjust this trigger, having to deal with the awkward "angled" action screw under the mag release, then having to remove the roll pin and trigger to make adjustments.

Before I take a wrench and decide to get into it, any reason/s one should not get into adjusting this trigger to one's liking? Maybe like "You are a moron, all factory triggers from A.I are perfect. You should never touch it"?
There’s nothing wrong with adjusting your pre travel as outlined in the trigger manual. I wouldn’t adjust it to the point of not having a first stage, but tuning it to preference isn’t bad. Like you alluded to, adjustment is a pain in the dick.

You do not need to adjust over travel. If you are utilizing the trigger correctly, regardless of the amount of over travel present, you’ll note that your finger doesn’t move more than maybe 1/16” past the break point. That’s true for the comp trigger as well as the standard.
It’s not a carbine trigger or a handgun trigger, and you should not be trying to pull it to a hard stop or trap it to the rear. Only enough pressure to release the firing pin.
If you want to tune the point at which the break occurs to be comfortable to your finger, adjust the trigger shoe to your preference.

Last edited:
AXSR trigger manual for dudes who do not have it.

IMG_0639.jpeg

IMG_0640.jpeg

IMG_0641.jpeg

IMG_0642.jpeg

There’s nothing wrong with adjusting your pre travel as outlined in the trigger manual. I wouldn’t adjust it to the point of not having a first stage, but tuning it to preference isn’t bad. Like you alluded to, adjustment is a pain in the dick.

You do not need to adjust over travel. If you are utilizing the trigger correctly, regardless of the amount of over travel present, you’ll note that your finger doesn’t move more than maybe 1/16” past the break point. That’s true for the comp trigger as well as the standard.
It’s not a carbine trigger or a handgun trigger, and you should not be trying to pull it to a hard stop or trap it to the rear. Only enough pressure to release the firing pin.
If you want to tune the point at which the break occurs to be comfortable to your finger, adjust the trigger shoe to your preference.
The overtravel is weird if you’ve never had a trigger that does this. I never even knew the overtravel was there until I started turning screws and realized it was there when pulling the trigger 50 times. I thought I had turned the wrong screw or something lol. After a while I realized it was always there and I had never pulled it past the break.

I adjusted the over travel and the first stage pull weight and was happy with the results. I wasn't brave enough to drive out the roll pin and mess around with the second stage and also found it wasn't needed after adjusting the over travel and first stage.

To adjust over travel I like to reduce it down to the point where the over travel feels imperceptible then back it out some so I can still perceive a little travel after the break.

Once I adjusted the first stage I put a dab of clear nail polish on the edge of the screw just in case to lock it in position.

Those adjustments got the trigger setup similar and even a little better to how I set my AT-X.

And I'd say go for it and adjust the trigger and set it up how you want, it's and adjustable trigger just don't get crazy and try extreme settings. Adjust with reason.

Quick update:
I took the leap and went for it. With the help of a $6 hex ball 5/32 wrench from Amazon, it made the removal of the action screws, especially the one hidden under the mag release, a breeze.

The over-travel was adjusted easily from the bottom of the trigger once the action was removed from the chassis.
For first stage travel adjustment, I didn't even need to remove the trigger/roll-pin - I just unscrewed the forward trigger screw, made my adjustment, and then put it back.

Much easier than anticipated. I now have my AXSR trigger set to exactly how I like it.
All AXSR owners should have this $6 tool stored with their rifle.
1685050230218.jpeg

Adjusted my 2nd stage pull weight down a bit, and shortened up the first stage travel. Always liked the Axsr trigger, like it even better now.