• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

A I barrels

colinbb

Private
Minuteman
Dec 19, 2022
uk
Hi everyone thanks for the break.
I know that mostly the consensus is positive for AI rifles, i want to break it down by what is the main why they are. I recon myself that it is the barrel being the object of
scrutiny here, so how many types in manufacturer do they use and what are the thoughts on these.
I shoot a Howa 1500 heavy barrel with GRS stock, slick trigger, compared to buddies with AI's they group better 90% of time , part of it is poss me but id like to kick this
barrel thing about.
Thanks.

Most common are the Bartlein or Lother Walther. Both are excellent barrels. Especially Bartlein. They’re outshooting you because their rifles have cut rifled match grade barrels from factory vs what is likely a hammer forged or button rifled run of the mill barrel.

Or you suck. But let’s start with the barrels

ill play,

cartridge
custom or factory ammo
if custom what rifle was it loaded for

any rifle can out shoot any rifle, depends on a lot of factors
Looks to me like he’s just concerned about barrel quality from his post. All other factors aside a howa factory barrel isn’t on the same level as a Bartlein regardless of the host

Reactions: Frank Green
Looks to me like he’s just concerned about barrel quality from his post. All other factors aside a howa factory barrel isn’t on the same level as a Bartlein regardless of the host
deleted post... brain wasnt working yet

i read it totally ass backwards

Most common are the Bartlein or Lother Walther. Both are excellent barrels. Especially Bartlein. They’re outshooting you because their rifles have cut rifled match grade barrels from factory vs what is likely a hammer forged or button rifled run of the mill barrel.

Or you suck. But let’s start with the barrels

The AI guns made in the UK in the past got LW (which are button rifled) and Sasson (spelling?) which is now out of business and was the left over shop of Border Barrels. Border made both cut and button barrels.

Most of the AI guns built here in the States get our barrels primarily.

Reactions: pineoak
Barrels are like scopes. You get what you pay for.

Barrels are a consumable.

You can have a mediocre action bedded into a good stock...put a good barrel on it with good gunsmithing work and most of the time you end up with a very good rifle.

You can have the best stock, best action made etc...put a mediocre barrel on it...and most of the time you end up with a so so gun.

A lot of the factory barrels that are hammer forged or button rifled...the factory doesn't have anymore than say $60 on the low end to about $200 on the upper end into the barrel. That includes the cost of the steel.

Sorry. Frank
I am needing a 20” 6BR for my AT in 1-7 twist. Would like to have it in left hand but. Ordered and paid for two from two different companies over a Year now and still don’t have them. Keep getting delayed cause of the vids. I know you have the same problem. Wish I could find help and get back to shooting.

Last edited:
To the OP, if you guys are shooting factory ammo it may be that your Howa likes the ammo better than your friends AI.

To the OP, if you guys are shooting factory ammo it may be that your Howa likes the ammo better than your friends AI.
I think he is trying to say that his buddies shooting AI's group better than his Howa 90 % of the time.

The factory LW AI barrels I've looked through have been some of the straightest bores. When you dial in one end typically the opposite end will have some noticeable wobble and this is normal across the board with all manufacturers. The LWs I've chucked up have routinely had very little to no perceived wobble down the length of the bore compared to others.

Picked up a few LW certs to try their blanks because of this. Excited to see what their blanks are like compared to the AI LWs

The AI guns made in the UK in the past got LW (which are button rifled) and Sasson (spelling?) which is now out of business and was the left over shop of Border Barrels. Border made both cut and button barrels.

Most of the AI guns built here in the States get our barrels primarily.
Thank you for the info

When I said cut rifled barrels I was referring to the your Bartlein barrels. Wasn’t sure what the LW were. But they definitely hammer non the less

Reactions: Frank Green
Have your buddies been shooting longer?

Have more experience/skill?

Spent more time either with load development for their hand loads or tried different ammo for their particular barrels?

Have you tried different brands of ammo for your particular rifle to see what it prefers? If not, buy a few boxes of different quality ammo and see how it does at the 100. When you find 2 that perform, take them out farther and see how they do at distance.

If you find a load your gun likes, it will make a huge difference.

And yes, even your friends' factory AI & replacement option barrels are going to be pretty high quality across the board regardless of brand.

This sounds stupid, but a quality bipod and rear bag make a ton of difference in addition to the most important aspect: your skillset.

The factory LW AI barrels I've looked through have been some of the straightest bores. When you dial in one end typically the opposite end will have some noticeable wobble and this is normal across the board with all manufacturers. The LWs I've chucked up have routinely had very little to no perceived wobble down the length of the bore compared to others.

Picked up a few LW certs to try their blanks because of this. Excited to see what their blanks are like compared to the AI LWs
Hello there just wondering how those LW barrels ended up shooting? those are hammer forged correct?

Hello there just wondering how those LW barrels ended up shooting? those are hammer forged correct?
They make hammer forged and button rifled barrels. I got one of their button barrels to test out with a certificate.

Can't tell you much more than that because it's still in the safe ready to be spun up! Dropping a scope down the bore though and it does look like a quality blank.

I had one (LW) that would shoot sub 1/2 inch groups. And I will have just over 3200 rounds through it.

It was in 308 and I think that it was hammer forged.