• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

A little cash to throw around

Wheres-Waldo

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 2, 2008
Unknown
Hi gentlemen, I come to you tonight with a rough idea of what I'de like to do with a little spare change in my pocket.

Some feed-back would be nice.

Ive got a few G's, (although I dont plan to spend it all) on modding one of my old rifles or picking up a new one.

I'de rather have some work done on one of my old rifles becuase I can only shoot so many rifles.

In particular I bought a AICS'ed M700 300WM from TheMayor a few monthes ago that shoots the dangle-berries off a knats ass, but I want to make it truly unique, fun less than $800

Heres what the rifle is, along with a NF NXS 5.5-22 x 50
Also some goodies from Adam at Bauer Arms...Ammo Mngmnt. sys and thumb screw cheek

<a href="http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=53997&Number=828704#Post828704" title="httpwwwsnipershidecomforumubbthreadsphpubbshowflatampMain53997ampNumber828704Post828704" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbth...8704#Post828704</a>

I wanted to have the barrel set back and have the neck tightened up quite a bit.
Other than that, what else could I do to the rifle? I like the stock...need a lil more LOP though.

Re: A little cash to throw around

suppressor would be nice. prolly put you right at your budget by itself if not over just by itself. would be sweet tho. maybe bartlein barrel chambered and all by GAP or patriot arms.

Supressor might be good, I hate running around the paperwork bush though.

ide like to keep everything I have already, as it seems to work well. I could use a MOA reticle or MIL knobs on this scope though.

Can a MOA based reticle be changed out?

EDIT: forgot to mention, if i had the barrel set back, I would have a FL die made also. I've got a top notch smith here. I wonder how much a set-back and rechamber pluss a die, and the reamer would run?

I'm not sure what else you could possibly do to your rifle to really make it better. I guess a Suppressor would suit you well. I am not sure if you are wanting to go that route though.

Looks great,shoots great.What else does it need!!!.......Don't spend another penny on it.

Buy another type of gun you've always wanted instead.It's hard to beat the fun you can have with an accurate semi auto.

Steve

I think you've got the big bore end of the spectrum covered pretty nicely; no need to be fixing something that so obviously isn't broken.

I'd be thinking in terms of a small bore and/or a smaller centerfire chambering.

I'd be thinking in terms of a Savage 10FP McMillan .223 with the DM, and maybe looking to Sharpshooter Supply for a tuneup and magazine capacity upgrade.

Then one of the more upscale Savage MKII .22LR items.

Shooting the magnum will be satisfying, but may be better in smaller doses. The smaller chamberings and rimfire items will allow more shooting, and allow it more economically and more comfortably in the long run.

Buy ammo. Buy more ammo. Buy more ammo again. BH .223/75gr BTHP match(moly) remanufactured ammo is a GREAT load in the Savage.

Greg

Thanks for the suggestions gentlemen.

Ive been on the small bore end with a few .223's and honestly, I enjoy shooting them,plently accurate, and plenty economical, but I just enjoy the big boomers more.
I do have a Rem 700 .308 5R thats been converted into a minimalists hunting rifle that does its job well. No need to dump $ into a hunting rifle.

I wanted to get some feed-back though, on one idea in particular.

I was thinking of ordering a tight neck 300WM reamer, have the barrel set back and rechambered, and have a new FL die cut with the same reamer.
Maybe a few odds n ends like Horus Vision Anticant/Cosign indicator, and some other misc. items.