• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

A Little Good News: I Pulled the Trigger for Building a New Home Today

Strykervet

ain'T goT no how whaTchamacalliT
Minuteman
  • Jun 5, 2011
    Pierce County, WA
    Well, divorce is over and I'm moving on; I told you guys I'd lament the situation only so long... It sucked, still does to a degree, but perhaps I dodged a bullet. Turns out the house she won in the divorce is infested with a caterpillar moth that is an invasive species, and they're going gangbusters. One tree died last year, a 100'er too. Totally dead, took only a few months. Now EVERY tree of that species, which accounts for about half the trees on this acre+, are starting to die. Holy shit. It cost $1000 to remove a few cherry trees that got destroyed during an ice storm, so I have no idea what m ex is going to do about it --she just bought ANOTHER house herself. Maybe she cashed in the TSLA stock, I don't know. These trees are all now her problem now.

But holy shit, clearing a whole fucking acre+? Than having to turn that into a yard? I heard of a guy around here that bought a lot like this and cut all the trees down and tilled it up and tried to start a cherry orchard. $50,000 worth of dolomite lime and several dump trucks and a few years later and NOW his soil will support life. The soil is so acidic nothing grows. Took 8 years to get grass where the septic was replaced.

So I feel like I dodged a big time bullet. I think she plans to rent this place out, I even offered to buy it and she said she'd entertain it when I was ready. But I think she's trying to get market value for this place and I know too much about it to pay that. Though I would like to stay here if the price were right. I doubt it will be and I'm done waiting for her to make up her mind or do this or that, that's what moving on is.

Called the bank, just to get an idea if I could get a house and what's involved. Thank god I got my VA home loan certificate back in '02. Turns out that motherfucker is like GOLD! So fingers crossed more shit doesn't pop up, I'll be able to build my own house.

Build it from scratch! I've wanted to do this since I was 13 when I read my first architectural books (on log buildings, but still...). I plan on doing the general contracting and I can get a couple friends to help me do much of the labor, so I'll only need to contract our certain things I don't want to do, like roofing and maybe framing --we'll see. I wanna build a large outbuilding for loading, working, starting a business later. Wanna build a fairly simple house with an open kitchen and living room area and just two rooms to either side, large rooms with large bathrooms. Tall ceilings. Slab. Simple. But it's efficient and all I need. The other room will be for my army buddy. Giant bedrooms, giant bathrooms, exterior doors in all the rooms, double walls and insulation between rooms and common areas. The rooms will be large enough for dividers to easily turn one into two full size rooms if desired.

Oh, since I can pick the land and all, I'm gonna pick land that's just NATURAL for at least a 2 mile range! Luckily there should be a LOT of land like that around here!

Anyway, I'm stoked as hell about this (usually when I get this excited it fucking falls through but I like the feeling). Six months ago it seemed like the end of the world, and in a lot of ways it was, the end of that world and I'm starting a new one.

Besides, I'd like to get this house built and move from here so I'll have some money to spend on fucking rifles again. Paying rent and saving that again over, and after the bills I have almost nothing left each month! But it's just a year, and I have plenty of components and other stuff to keep me occupied for a year easy. And I also have some parts that I can build into a rifle I'm working on, it's just taking longer than I expected (big thanks to MAGNUM!).

And a lot of this, me being in this situation, is because of members on here. The divorce would have went a whole lot different if I'd been forced to default. The good members do here for each other and for the causes they believe in is very real, not talk, and so I want to let you all know of the good, of how much good, can come of it. See, I may have gotten through it without you guys, but I'd be in a very different and worse spot than I am now. Maybe even on the street. You guys made an investment in my future and damnit, I will see that through.

When I do get the house built, I'll invite any member that wants to come and we'll have a BBQ, shoot some weapons, have a night shoot and then retire for some drinks or what not. It's the least I could do!

And when I get ready to build, I plan to give contract dibs to members here that are local and interested first. Hell, I'm in a good mood right now.

Thats great to hear brother. Id be careful though. women are/can be vindictive cunts and she could come back at you for money saying you knew about the infestation. Juries almost always award for the woman, so make sure that house is well insulated.

Reactions: Strykervet
    Congratulations to you...

I have never had an opportunity to build. Being here in New England, there is always something old to buy and completely renovate. Done a few of those.

It is a great experience when complete even though you will be ripping your hair out at some points during the process.

Last edited:
    I've helped build a log home and some stick built.

I would attempt a project like that but only if I had several months to do it, with no job to get in the way. A couple friends or neighbors that you can call for help on occasion is very valuable to.

The most important thing is you need to know how to do it and have the building chops to do every task that you don't want to pay for.

Make sure you really know what you're doing with insulation and weatherproofing and try to put in your upgrades up front so you're not reworking later.

Good luck, but if you aren't ready to do every task you want to do, pick up some experience before you leap in.

Lot of tradesman on this site so don’t be afraid to put questions out there. Keep it simple and be patient with yourself most importantly. Good stuff amigo and good luck!

I've helped build a log home and some stick built.

I would attempt a project like that but only if I had several months to do it, with no job to get in the way. A couple friends or neighbors that you can call for help on occasion is very valuable to.

The most important thing is you need to know how to do it and have the building chops to do every task that you don't want to pay for.

Make sure you really know what you're doing with insulation and weatherproofing and try to put in your upgrades up front so you're not reworking later.

Good luck, but if you aren't ready to do every task you want to do, pick up some experience before you leap in.

Good advice above.

Remember:

-Masonry is the best exterior. Costs more up front but its maintenance free and lasts nearly for ever. Best for insulation.

-Another option, depending on rain amounts, is a berm type home in which several sides are at least partially covered in earth..some completely and the roof becomes a garden. Best insulation in the world.

-If you spend a little more for extra insulation NOW youll spend a lot less for heat/cooling later. for as long as you own it. Its a good sales point when you sell.

-Location-location-location.

Ive been in building and buying selling homes for a while. If I can help let me know.

Congratulations, being able to build a house from scratch exactly as I'd like it is one of my dreams.
    Do yourself a favour and make sure the house is impossible to burn and nothing is going to breakdown or wear out.

Long time carpenter and commercial construction superintendent, if I can be of help, let me know.

I'm not sure I can sign on for masonry being the best, it depends on your climate, earthquakes, wind loads, etc.

Also a 300 year home is more of a thing for established people building a family legacy, not basic living.

My preference is build for efficiency and something that will outlast you, I wouldn't need more than that and I could optimize for ft² or $.

Congratulations! You are living the dream of building a home. I'd love to do that myself someday. Please document the process so I can follow in your footsteps (only if you really want to, of course).

Thanks guys! Well, it's not set in stone yet but I think all the pieces are there and I have the VA home loan certificate and the form I have to fill out for the bank, the VA form, asks what type of home, and it has several options, manufactured (land or no land) existing house, etc., but one is new construction on a lot. It says they pay out "as you go along" so I'm hoping that doesn't cause problems.

I used to do security and had a low voltage license. I've seen thousands of houses in all stages of construction. I used to work on my grandmother's old house some and then this house I'm in now, I've done a lot myself. I'm pretty good at figuring things out, planning in advance, working around problems, etc. The things that I don't feel comfortable doing myself or can't physically and I don't have help that can, I'll contract out. I'll probably have to contract an electrician and a plumber at least long enough to pass an inspection.

It is the dream, though I won't be building any dream home. It's gonna be absurdly simple, a large, open floor plan with a kitchen and a living room and two bedrooms, both large, both with big bathrooms on either side of the house. A half bath in the LR area. A laundry closet near the back door in the kitchen area. Four rooms really, but they'll be BIG rooms. I plan on a large workshop, also on a slab, next to the house.

What's nice about it is it'll leave room for additions if I ever wanna go that route. But I've looked at what I use and how I use a house and that's pretty much it. I can put a small office space in my bedroom, have plenty of room for my painting stuff, hoping I can get back into it. When I have things in different rooms, I tend to use it less; I'd rather have everything in one room. So that's what I'm doing. The other room will be for my army buddy, he'll pay half and live there. With solid insulation between the rooms and the common areas, and double drywall, it should be fairly soundproof. And yeah, I'll insulate the hell out of it. I hear 'ya there!

I have nine or ten months left before I can just move along but I can stay for a year longer than that. I don't wanna pay rent and pay the loan while the house is under construction if I don't have to. That'd suck bad. But I plan on drawing up blueprints, getting it all approved, finding the land and putting it all together, and that'll take some time. I'll have that time to plan it all down to the "T" though. How much of what at what price, what we can do and what needs to be contracted out, and finding the best price and best deal for the price. I wanna say there's a place around here that sells TONS of stuff for new houses, cheap, like a liquidator, but I can't recall who or what it was! I'll have to ask around, maybe search will pull it up.

Never thought I'd be in a position to do this, or so quickly. Living out the sticks will keep costs down a lot and if I butt up against a national forest or BLM land, I'll have the perfect range in the backyard! So yeah, location, location, location indeed!

Oh, I'm sure I'll be coming on here with questions about building and materials of all sorts when it gets going. And geez, I sure hope it gets going, I don't wanna get shot down and told I can only get a pre-existing, that'd really blow because I'm sure I can do this for a lot less and get a lot more out of it my way.

Reactions: Barneybdb
    I am very curious on the blueprinting process. Do you go to an architect firm and they design it for you? Do they also handle the contracting out for the house build? That is something I've been trying to figure out. I plan on building a house using ICF blocks so finding an architect that even know what that is is difficult.

If I can help in any way, I'm willing. I've been a custom home builder since 1979. Use to build 15 to 20 homes a year. The last 8 years I've shut it down and am building 2or 3 homes a year. Doing more design and drawing, building management and consultation now. Just post your questions and I'll try to answer them. I can't access my P Ms ! WTF! And don't get too caught up in the insulation thing. Make sure you eliminate air infiltration, that's more important than any amount of insulation. Proper installation of windows and doors, proper flashing and sealing of any penetrations is paramount when it comes to energy efficiency. After all that is properly done, I strongly suggest a flash and batt insulation technique . 2 by 6 exterior walls with 2 " of closed cell spray foam and 31/2" of batt fiberglass insulation. If a home is built using good quality materials and construction techniques, it's amazing what the operating costs can be. We have built homes in the 4 to 7000 sq ft range that cost on average $100 to $200 a month to heat and cool. So, if you have questions, post them, and I'd be happy to help.
    Mike

One of the reasons I'm going for ICF is I want to live in a crime-ridden neighborhood that will probably gentrify in ten years. I need that foot of concrete to keep me safe until I can cash out! How feasible would a 1500 livable sqft garage apartment home build be? Bottom floor is a 3-4 car garage/workshop/gym while upstairs the entire living area constitutes the 1500 sqft (2 bed/1bath, open kitchen and living).

My sister bought a house with a VA loan. It was a stupid move because sellers didn't want to deal with it. The reason why is that the government guarantees the loan and because of that they make the seller jump through a lot of hoops to make sure the Vet isn't buying a bad property the Gov can't flip if they default.

The reasons why it was stupid was because it made it harder for the seller to accept the offer, she could qualify for an equally good conventional loan and she had 20% down so she didn't even need mortgage insurance.

Be cautious because I think the lot and construction deal is for new developments (tract homes) and condos, not a self made paradise in the sticks.

It's a good idea but don't count on the VA loan to finance it.

Speaking of rent while building, don't. A lot of people are practically giving away old RVs and travel trailers. If you live on site you won't lose time commuting or be as tempted to skip work.

A home built over weekends can take years, a home built in one shot with a decent crew can be built in weeks if it's simple enough and you round up all the construction materials ahead of time.

Aiming for weeks and hitting months isn't a big deal but aiming for months and hitting years will cost a lot.

Congratulations,

We're in the process of building our new house. Should be pouring concrete in about a month.

I'm not sure I can sign on for masonry being the best, it depends on your climate, earthquakes, wind loads, etc.

Also a 300 year home is more of a thing for established people building a family legacy, not basic living.

My preference is build for efficiency and something that will outlast you, I wouldn't need more than that and I could optimize for ft² or $.
    Sounds like an "as long as it outlasts me" mentality. Nothing like taking pride in your work or where you live. You should try it sometime