• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

A little help spending money!!!

slayer 2c

Still working on it
Minuteman
  • Jan 18, 2011
    Lost.........
    Ok. I’ve finally have the means to purchase a kestrel, but I don’t know the difference. Can someone tell me the difference between a 5700, 5500, elite, sportsman models. I believe in buy once cry once I just need to know which one!!! Thanks a lot

5500 doesn't have built in ballistics solver.

The difference between the 5700 (Sportsman) and the Elite are shown here.

Kestrel Differences

Scroll down and there is a table. The Sportsman is pretty good unless you are shooting at long enough distances where the CDM would help (transonic region of bullet velocity).

You can buy the Sportsman and upgrade it to the Elite later for $190.

It’s not the saving money part, I’m looking for it’s spending it wisely. If I can get the functionality down and then make the choose to upgrade or not later then I can go that way. I’m currently looking at kestrel, a range finder, and a magnetospeed all for a new rifle purchase I just made. Those three things with the rifle and the suppressor add up to a very large chunk.

It’s not the saving money part, I’m looking for it’s spending it wisely. If I can get the functionality down and then make the choose to upgrade or not later then I can go that way. I’m currently looking at kestrel, a range finder, and a magnetospeed all for a new rifle purchase I just made. Those three things with the rifle and the suppressor add up to a very large chunk.

Look at the Labradar as well...hint

Do you think the lab radar is better than the magnetospeed?

I think it is better. I am not saying it is more accurate. I got to play with a friend's labradar for a few days and we compared it to the magnetospeed. The MV reported by the labradar was within 2-3 fps of the Magnetospeed values. Don't know which was more accurate but the labradar has a couple of very large advantages.

1. Much easier to set up and use. I certainly would use it more than the Magnetospeed.
    2. No change to POI. This saves time.
    3. The BIGGIE - the labradar provides velocity over distance. Depending on the caliber of the bullet, it can provide velocity over a range as far as 100 yards. It read my velocity to 70 yards with a 6.5 Creedmoor bullet. That data is invaluable. When you use a ballistic solver that provides a truing capability, you can change the BC value until your predicted velocity over the distance measured by the labradar matches what the labradar measured. This provides more accurate DOPE at distance. I was amazed at the accuracy of the solver (Coldbore) out to 600 yards when I tweaked the BC value to match the close in velocities measured by the labradar. Usually I was within .1-.2 mils of true DOPE. Truing the BC using only the MV is not accurate. My DOPE is now an exact match to 600. I will be extending these measurements when I have some time to drive the 3 hours to a 1,000 yard range.

Just my 2 cents...take it for what it's worth

Get the 5700 AB. You won’t regret it. Buy once cry once.......

I have the magnetospeed and have scratched the Labradar off my list. Too fragile and finicky.