• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing A little help troubleshooting a Tikka?

bogeybrown

0369/8531
Minuteman
Aug 21, 2012
AL
Hey Gents,

I have a Tikka varmint, 223, in an XLR chassis. The bolt shroud and handle have been "upgraded".

The issue I'm running into is a sporadic failure to fire. I'm getting a firing pin strike but no ignition. The issue has improved, but I'm still getting an average of 1/10 fail to fires.

Any suggestions on what I can check or correct? If it's relevant I had to correct a minor issue with a rear action screw.

Thanks in advance

I had an issue when I installed a Mountain Tactical bolt shroud on my Tikka T3. I installed the spring under the shroud, and bolt lift was heavy and trigger pull increased to about 10 pounds. Called MT and they said to install it without the spring. That fixed my issue. If you have the spring installed on an upgraded shroud, that "might" be causing your issue. Worth a try.

I had an issue when I installed a Mountain Tactical bolt shroud on my Tikka T3. I installed the spring under the shroud, and bolt lift was heavy and trigger pull increased to about 10 pounds. Called MT and they said to install it without the spring. That fixed my issue. If you have the spring installed on an upgraded shroud, that "might" be causing your issue. Worth a try.

Thanks, after I corrected the rear action screw problem my bolt has been buttery smooth and the trigger is Tikka-licious, so at least I avoided those issues.

I just pulled the shroud and didnt "find" a spring.

One other thought. I don't know if your shroud or bolt handle are Mountain Tactical or not, but when I first installed my shroud and had the issues described above, I call them and spoke with Andrea. As soon as I explained the issue, she knew what was causing it. It's possible they might have some ideas as to what is causing your problem. They were super helpful with mine.