• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing A little off the beaten path...Pre-64 Winchester 94 Lever Action HELP!

ORD

Montani Semper Liberi
Minuteman
Nov 12, 2005
Morgantown, WV, USA
Hey all,

I have been "gifted" a couple of OLD firearms that belonged to my Great Uncle, including a Remington 870 Wingmaster 20ga shotgun that I have a thread going in the Shotgun subforum, but also a Winchester 94 in .30 WCF/.30-30 (pre-64...made in 1949 according to its serial number range).

The 94 is complete and from what I can tell, in its OEM factory configuration aside from a few minor issues, but it is in VERY ROUGH shape (extensive bluing loss throughout, especially the receiver, rust/patina from butt to muzzle, needs a mag tube replacement as its current one is about rusted through in one spot, etc., etc.). Functionally, however, it seems fine. The bore is in fairly good shape (at least compared to the exterior), cycles and feeds smoothly, locks up tightly, goes bang and puts rounds on target where they should be out to 50yds (the furthest I tested 20 rounds), and feels pretty damned good for a ~65 year old survivor that's been abused by an @$$hole in my extended family who is in desperate need of a serious @$$-kicking.

While I realize that the pre-64 94s have some degree of collector's value (I could generally care less as this one is HOME and will remain in my family henceforth), my first and immediate concern is to remedy the problems with the gun and rescue it for future generations in my immediate family who will better understand and appreciate its origins and its sentimental value it holds to me and its original owner who was a HUGE role model to me in my formative years.

Does anyone here on the Hide do levergun work, especially in terms of refinishing? Any recommendations on a competent smith who could look over this one for me and repair/refinish as warranted? While bluing was the finish of the day on these rifles when new, does anybody have any experience with parkerizing these rifles (don't shoot me...just asking as it was a thought that crossed my mind for a long-term, durable finish)? Anybody know of any good Winchester parts places that may have replacements for this model (I know of Numrich off hand, but this rifle a little outside my knowledgebase)?

Thanks in advance...and here's a few pics of the poor old girl!!

eq5atx.jpg

2gxl9om.jpg

5ai4cj.jpg

161yogp.jpg

Don't refinish or replace any parts on the Winchster you are only going to decrease the value of it. I would give it a daily rub down with oil and that's it.

Thanks for the links, gents! Much appreciated! I'll give them a scan this evening when I've got some time to research/review. I tried running a search before posting, but apparently, my google-fu was weak last evening as I didn't come up with the thread you referenced, TM.

Don't refinish or replace any parts on the Winchster you are only going to decrease the value of it. I would give it a daily rub down with oil and that's it.

I appreciate the concern and the advice, MAGUA, but its monetary/collector's value is of little to no concern of mine. I'm not planning on doing anything drastic like swapping to synthetic stock/forend, mounting an optic, tacticooling it out, etc. My concern is preventing any further erosion of the rifle's condition and preserving it (functionally) for generations to come. The condition of the rifle, at least in some aspects, is beyond the oiling/cleaning/TLC point now and requires a bit more intervention (mostly the mag tube which is shot...figuratively speaking of course...having rusted through in one spot about the size of a pencil lead).

I don't expect it to be "as new" in any way, shape or form, nor do I intend a full "restoration" to that condition, but I also can't look at this poor gal knowing what it was when I last used it 30+ years ago and how it was treated by its original owner before it was allowed to deteriorate into its present condition by a @#$%wit who has no more business having firearms or anything "nice" to have to care for (beyond his own hair plugs and capped teeth which he seems to keep up with ok at least...jackass)!!! ;)

It's been a little while, but IIRC Midwest Gun Works tends to have some original Winchester or factory replacement parts. I used them on the last pre-'64 saddle gun rebuild that I did. And if you want another option of someone who can restore it to factory fresh (from the sounds of it not that you want to go that far, but an option), check out Doug Turnbull. One of the best antique and classic firearm restorers in the US. I had the pleasure of meeting him at a conference and he's a great guy to talk to and work with.

As far as the finish goes, the old Winnie 94's have high nickel content steel receivers, so while refinishing a barrel on one is relatively simple, if you want a original look you have to rust blue the receiver. Traditional blueing will just turn it purple. You can rust blue at home if you feel so inclined, but it's a timely process that takes some patience. And parkerizing? I'm sure you could, but yes, it would be blasphemy. If it were me I'd leave it worn and rusty and just enjoy it as is if that's the case (I recently received a 94 from my Grandfather that has age rust on it but it shoots real nice and smooth so I'm just keepin it clean and oiled). That and I dunno how Winchester complex linkage will like the extra coat of material inside the receiver.

Oh and if I were you i'd try to locate a front sight hood to protect that front sight if it's not too damaged.

Good luck with the refinish/restoration.

It's been a little while, but IIRC Midwest Gun Works tends to have some original Winchester or factory replacement parts. I used them on the last pre-'64 saddle gun rebuild that I did. And if you want another option of someone who can restore it to factory fresh (from the sounds of it not that you want to go that far, but an option), check out Doug Turnbull. One of the best antique and classic firearm restorers in the US. I had the pleasure of meeting him at a conference and he's a great guy to talk to and work with.

As far as the finish goes, the old Winnie 94's have high nickel content steel receivers, so while refinishing a barrel on one is relatively simple, if you want a original look you have to rust blue the receiver. Traditional blueing will just turn it purple. You can rust blue at home if you feel so inclined, but it's a timely process that takes some patience. And parkerizing? I'm sure you could, but yes, it would be blasphemy. If it were me I'd leave it worn and rusty and just enjoy it as is if that's the case (I recently received a 94 from my Grandfather that has age rust on it but it shoots real nice and smooth so I'm just keepin it clean and oiled). That and I dunno how Winchester complex linkage will like the extra coat of material inside the receiver.

Oh and if I were you i'd try to locate a front sight hood to protect that front sight if it's not too damaged.

Good luck with the refinish/restoration.

Thanks for that, Phezzik.

I'm familiar with Doug's work (and, unfortunately, the costs associated with that level of work too! ;) ). I'm probably NOT going to opt for that level of restoration on this one, but I agree with you that his work, especially on these sorts of items, is second to none!

I'll keep MGW in mind for parts if needed...I've used them a bunch for shotgun stuff over the years, so I'm familiar with their buiness...just never went to them for parts like these. I definitely will snag a front hood at some point in time as that's one of the "non-OEM" parts/changes I was unhappy to see when I first got the gun back in my hands. MGW seems to be out and Numrich doesn't list them at all, so I'll have to check around. The front sight, fortunately, is in good shape aside from the typical finish issues throughout the rifle (still mechanically sound, unbent, unbroken, etc.).