• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

A Long Thank You

Rio2019

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 10, 2020
Taos, NM
About three months ago when I joined the Sniper Hide, I had a genuine and serious interest in precision shooting. I had some sniper training while I was in the Air Force, and prior to that I was just a kid, and then young man that wanted to shoot relatively small targets (including game) at distance. I had shot long distance with black powder for years, but I wanted to dip my toe into precision shooting with a 6.5 Creedmoor chambered rifle with match grade ammo. Possibly, returning to hand loading to meet my needs. With the help of many here in the Community, I researched rifles and scopes, each with a budget of $1,000, or $2,000 total. I wanted to make an educated investment in precision shooting. While I was tempted by the Tikka T3X A1 and the Bergara HMR Pro, both above my budget, many members encouraged me to look very hard at the Bergara B14 HMR. The scope I chose, that seemed to provide me with really good glass, at a fair price, was the Vortex Viper PST Gen 2. I chose the ERB 7C reticle.

Over the last two months I have patiently setup the rifle and scope, consorting frequently with members that I sought out for advice and instruction, including Online Training. All this information has led me to the point that I am tremendously pleased with the Bergara and Vortex, and further, I can shoot tight groups, which gives me some hope that I might be able to shoot in PRS and NRL competitions. Simply, I could not have gotten to this place without the help of many experienced, expert shooters, here on Snipers Hide! So....thank all of you that patiently guided me through this process. Now at the not so tender age of 70, I have a new passion, and a mission for the coming years.

Last edited:
That’s what this place is about. Meeting great people and learning from their experiences. 👍

Time to find your dopes and get to a match. It is a great addiction, i mean hobby. You will find some truly great people there as well.

Time to find your dopes and get to a match. It is a great addiction, i mean hobby. You will find some truly great people there as well.
Beginning to work on that right now. I'm starting with the Streloc Pro ballistics calculator. I know there are many others, and better, but this seems to work. But heck, didn't this used to be called Kentucky Windage!

Last edited:
I use strelok pro. It's good. If you can go out and verify your dope it's a big help. Hornady 4 DOF is free. I have been playing with that a little. Kestrels are great because you get the exact weather of your location. Using strelok pro I have trued my BC at a 1000 and it has been good.