• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

A&M Rifle Company

Charger442

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Nov 2, 2010
    South Texas
    Within the last few months, I picked up a very interesting rifle built by A&M Rifle Company. Now, there isn't very much info on this company on the web, as they were only around for some years in the 60s and 70s. I'll try and detail what i know here, as well as put up pictures of the rifle I own. It has one of the most beautiful European Walnut stocks I've ever seen and the real kicker is the rifle is built on a Pre-war Winchester 70 action and chambered in 257 Roberts.

The company was a partnership between Bill Atkinson and Paul Marquart (A&M) in Prescott, Arizona and Bill was the cut rifled barrel maker of note at the time and he supposedly provided barrels for the M40A1 Marine Corps sniper rifles in the early 80s. Maybe someone here can confirm or deny that bit of information.
    A&M made a few of their own proprietary calibers like the .475 A&M Magnum and the 17 Javelina and often built on Sako and Mauser actions. After A&M folded, Bill Atkinson became Bill Ruger's right-hand man at Sturm and Ruger for 20+ years.

My particular gun also came installed with an extremely nice feeling Canjar trigger.

Pictures to follow. any other information about Bill Atkinson and his ties to the M40A1 are greatly appreciated.
    PXL_20210929_023831860.jpg
    PXL_20211002_012034422.jpg
    PXL_20211002_012235699.jpg
    PXL_20211002_011410471.jpg
    PXL_20211029_023434744.jpg

Last edited:
    Great for you. I was going to respond but all I recall is what you have listed. I offer no help but great encouragement.

Reactions: Charger442
    There was a great stocker from Cedar Crest New Mexico. He often utilized A&M barrels. I am certain he did that stock. He built my first custom rifle. Dale Goens.

There was a great stocker from Cedar Crest New Mexico. He often utilized A&M barrels. I am certain he did that stock. He built my first custom rifle. Dale Goens.
    Very interesting, thanks for that info.

I'll get some better pictures in some natural light outside

That rifle just screams 1980s custom.

Much more subtle than the 1970s stuff that was way over done. It looks a lot like a custom that was built up in one of the gun magazines in the 1980s. Might’ve been in a gun digest annual. But I remember drooling all over the pages looking at the work involved.

The fleur-de-lis was very common in that era. As were the blonde stocks.

Absolutely stunning rifle that I would own in a heartbeat!

Congrats!!

That rifle just screams 1980s custom.

Much more subtle than the 1970s stuff that was way over done. It looks a lot like a custom that was built up in one of the gun magazines in the 1980s. Might’ve been in a gun digest annual. But I remember drooling all over the pages looking at the work involved.

Congrats!!

Interesting you see 1980s, but I'd probably agree with how tasteful and elegant the design is. It came with a unique scope but I don't think I can put a timeframe on it's manufacture.

PXL_20210929_023728946.jpg
    PXL_20210929_023752346.jpg

Reactions: camocorvette
    Dale built very similar rifles from early ‘60’s to late 80’s. He did not really change his style.
    Dale was a fine workman and a gentleman to deal with.

Dale built very similar rifles from early ‘60’s to late 80’s. He did not really change his style.
    Dale was a fine workman and a gentleman to deal with.

really appreciate the help, its why i posted the rifle on here since you guys know damn near everything thats happened with rifles over the last 80-100 years. i actually had been doing research about the stock and thought it could have been a product of Nils Hultgren, as some information pointed to him building some stocks for A&M. I will note this down in my records.

Congrats!!

I was re-visiting this post and stopped on the blonde wood comment. i have a shotgun passed along to me from my Dad that was an italian sxs imported by a local rifle and shotgun maker from the 70s with beautiful blonde wood. i would agree that was something that has since gone out of fashion, which makes it even more rare.

Dale often marked his rifles inside the stock.
    Mine was built about 1983. It was #1046. Not sure why I remember that. I think marking was in barrel channel. Also not sure he would have marked an A&M rifle.
    That recessed pattern is exactly what mine was made with. If you take it down let me know.

Dale often marked his rifles inside the stock.
    Mine was built about 1983. It was #1046. Not sure why I remember that. I think marking was in barrel channel. Also not sure he would have marked an A&M rifle.
    That recessed pattern is exactly what mine was made with. If you take it down let me know.

ill get more detailed pictures Saturday. i go to work in the dark and come home in the dark.

The steel checkering on the grip cap, the butt plate, and the screws for each is just outstanding and would be in line with how much a craftsman Dale was, per your testimony.

Excellent pics. That is classic Goens. He used Biesen buttplate and grip cap exactly like that. I suspect he numbered it inside. Are action screws checkered? He often did that as well.

In his old folders he called that pattern FULR DE LE WITH RIBBONS.
    I’m sure I did not spell it correctly.

Excellent pics. That is classic Goens. He used Biesen buttplate and grip cap exactly like that. I suspect he numbered it inside. Are action screws checkered? He often did that as well.
    Yes action screws are checkered as well. I had it out of the stock a few weeks ago. But didn't see anything, but didn't look hard. I'll take another look

Reactions: RTH1800
    Check out the issues of Gun Digest Annual book between about 1980 and 1984. I am almost certain that that gun or its twin were built (Has to be its twin... because the one in the article was a piece of marble-cake Circassian Walnut). This is much more linear.

It's a gorgeous rifle and I bet built between '79 and 85. That was exactly the style then.

Oh and shoot the daylights out of it.

Sirhr

Last edited:
    Nice looking custom rifle that looks unused. As for this question:

Bill was the cut rifled barrel maker of note at the time and he supposedly provided barrels for the M40A1 Marine Corps sniper rifles in the early 80s. Maybe someone here can confirm or deny that bit of information.
    Yes, some of the early M40A1s reportedly used 'Atkinson & Marquart Rifle Co.' barrels, along w/ Hart barrels, but I don’t know the specific sequence.

Last edited:
    I swapped scopes in this gun and was shooting at 100 yards. I think it's stringing badly because the barrel is getting hot after 5 rounds and then accuracy is opening WAY up.

Should I try and free float the barrel or just shoot slow one shot strings to keep barrel temps very low? This gun is a likely hunter so probably no more than 3 shots in succession on hogs anyway.

One thing I'm going to have to do is install a mag spacer to keep the shorter rounds forward and able to be picked up by the bolt. Too much room at the rear of the mag box. I think I can modify a mag box from numrich

diggin this up from the dead. Was researching this gun I just picked up today. looks like the 257 roberts AM built may have sold but no price was listed. Id love to know what there guns were worth. here is my gun with a news clipping it came with.
    @Charger442

Attachments

• a5.jpg
      a5.jpg
      487.3 KB · Views: 69
    • a4.jpg
      a4.jpg
      588.4 KB · Views: 63
    • a3.jpg
      a3.jpg
      854.8 KB · Views: 71
    • a2.jpg
      a2.jpg
      532.8 KB · Views: 71
    • a1.jpg
      a1.jpg
      627.1 KB · Views: 77
    diggin this up from the dead. Was researching this gun I just picked up today. looks like the 257 roberts AM built may have sold but no price was listed. Id love to know what there guns were worth. here is my gun with a news clipping it came with.
    @Charger442

So it's in 475 mag? Wow. That gun is excellent and gorgeous. Interesting they spelled out the full names on the barrel. I love it

So it's in 475 mag? Wow. That gun is excellent and gorgeous. Interesting they spelled out the full names on the barrel. I love it
    no, the article was about the builders not the gun I have. thanks its really good looking. weird action- Springfield Sedgley

Pulled this guy out of the safe, and shot some after floating the barrel. Good groups, so the floating helped a lot.

But.... Now I still have an ejection issue. Anything I can do to get this thing to eject and clear the action opening? I think I may need to take it apart and give it a good cleaning. Check if ejector spring is working well enough

Last edited:
    FWIW... IIRC HS Precision uses the "A&M method" of cut rifling barrels, and traces their lineage through them, not through Obermeyer like most cut rifled barrel makers do.
    Reckon you could give em a call for more info on the company..??

I seem to remember the .17 Javelina as an option from A&M.
    Remington 221 Fireball case necked down to .172.