• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

A new project is born

sr15match

Lost........
Minuteman
Nov 6, 2008
Wellsville, NY
Well, a new project is born..... Thinking 3-Gun style'ish
eek.gif
for my better-half.

An LRB lower, Spikes upper coated in Cerakote Titanium by Deadly0311. My wife wanted something with a little bling so this is the beginning. Next will be the odds & ends LPK / trigger and butt stock. The rail selection is a tough one as there's so many available but I'm thinking 13" or so with an 18" barrel (SPR/DMR/Mk12 contour). Optics and BUIS, holy cow don't even bother asking as it's a whole nother chapter. Basics first............

As it progresses I'll post pics. Props to Deadly0311 / Austin for awesome communication and super turn around time!!!!

IMG_0117.jpg

IMG_0114.jpg

photo1.jpg

Re: A new project is born

your pictures look better than my IPhone pictures. Hope your wife likes it.

Glad I could help.

are you gonna have the rest of the furniture in dark earth or tan like the grip?

Furniture colors will be black. I stuck the Magpul grip on for my wife to get an idea of colors. She's leaning towards a PRI or VTAC/JP style FF tube. There are several types, styles and makers to the selections process begins. A rail set-up hasn't been totally ruled out but if she goes that route it will be a KAC URX 3.1. I prefer simple smooth and light for this project but what the wife wants she'll get LOL.
smile.gif

Worth checking out is the JP or Samson LE forend. Easy to add rail sections without backers (old JP style) as they have direct screw ons on the guard. Has she held a JP vs. quad rails? The rails add a lot of weight IMO.

Also good you are considering an 18" bbl (with a 1/8?). Great LR accuracy with heavy and light bullets. Plus allows you to use a 15" forend for barricade shooting, etc. Just would need a low profile gas block but there are many good ones nowdays.

It looks like a nice build. Austin is a good dude too.
cool.gif

Sorry for my ignorance, but what makes an AR-15 a 3-gun AR?

It's not just one thing but a combination of items that work for a particular person. There's many different combinations an no one set of parts makes or breaks the mold.

The direction I'm taking this for my wife is what the "usual" or "common" items are, that's it, nothing special, it's just a project to have fun with and fit the spot between a 14.5" carbine and a 20" A2 service rifle we have. So 18" fits just right in between..............

Midwest Industries makes a slick (with 12oclock rail) 15" rail, that won't break the bank. I like mine.

Edit: that build will look sweet with black furniture. Different for sure. Looking forward to see how it progresses.

I've had great results with the MI Lo-Pro SS 12", Troy TRX Xtreme, and APEX Gator Guard tubes lately.

MI is the lightest, and narrower than any others I have tried.

My wife insisted that hers stay black, and I still haven't pursuaded her to the <span style="font-style: italic">Dark Earth</span> side...

2012-05-22205951.jpg

It will be interesting to see it come together. Could also consider the Noveske NSR 13.5. Might be a good fit for your wife, small diameter and light (but strong). I believe a 16 will be coming along too.

The choices are endless it seems, well almost like that but the list is quickly narrowed when considering weight and length. It won't be long that's for sure!

Thanks for the input, keep up the suggestions!

Looks good man. I've actually been considering getting my AR cerakoted titanium. Is it closer to silver or dark gray? I saw a guy on another forum that did his receivers and NSR handguard with Gunkote titanium and his looked closer to dark gray, but yours looks closer to silver.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mil.Dot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Could also consider the Noveske NSR 13.5. Might be a good fit for your wife, small diameter and light (but strong).</div></div>

+1

When looking at colors it was difficult to choose. I know exactly what you mean when looking at other peoples pictures and some looking more grey. I'd see pics of Knights SR15-E3 in their advertised "silver" and it depended on whos picture it was if it looked more silver or grey. Cameras, lighting and adjusting pictures plays a big part. The pics I attached of the receivers laying on my Wild Things Tactical top are true to the color as it is here.

Here's another pic taken by Deadly0311 with his iPhone of them after squirting color. I wonder if some color difference comes from air dry verses baking dry?

AR15Titanium.jpg

Alright thanks man, that helped out alot. I think if I do get it cerakoted, I'm going to go with more of a dark gray finish. I'm glad I found this thread or else I might've done titanium thinking it was dark gray...