• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

A one-off Beanland build completed

Shortdraw

Alaskan Guide
Minuteman
Aug 14, 2010
Kodiak, Alaska
After careful planning and a whole lot of help from suppliers, my build is finished. This one is filled with new and prototype parts and needless to say I am happy to own it. I went with the stout Badger Ordnance M2008 action to get started and had Marty ship directly to Jon Beanland for the build. I chose Jon based on his attention to detail, great communication, and relatively quick turnaround tme. Justin from Kinetic Research Group supplied me with a pre production Whiskey-3 chassis for the M2008 action. I went with a Kreiger 1.25" straight barrel and had it shipped to Marty at Twistedbarrel.com for a little CNC work. I hadn't worked with him before, but glad I did. I wanted to do some different fluting that isn't common and he delivered to say the least. A Timney straight trigger was purchased here on the Hide and shipped to Jon. Jon sent my bolt to Robar for their NP-3 coating while he got to work on the rest of the rifle. Here are the specs.
Badger M2008 short action
Kreiger 18" 308 barrel 1:10 twist threaded for suppressor
KRG Whiskey-3 chassis
AIAW double stack magazine
Harris bipod
Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56 NP-R1 reticle
Cerakote's newest color "Burnt Bronze"
Barrel fluting "pins and needles" pattern by twistedbarrel.com
21kynth.jpg

vq1od2.jpg

28v3tq8.jpg

A sincere thank you to Jon Beanland for putting up with my constant phone calls and emails. Your work is outstanding. Thanks to Justin and crew at Kinetic Research Group for a superior product and for allowing me to run one of their stocks before it was ready for public release. And a thank you to everyone else who sold me parts and worked with me on this one. Range report and reviews to follow.

Re: A one-off Beanland build completed

One of the coolest builds I have seen in a while. Nicely done.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Northland</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Holy shit thats awesome! Love the stock! </div></div>
The stock is super nice. Keep in mind this one is essentially a prototype so there are a few little things that will be different then the full production model. Grip panels not 100%, etc. The adjustment range is phenominal, and the machining is extremely high quality. Ergonomics are very good. Expect a full review with quality pictures soon.

Super sick rig, definetly never seen one like that before! Must be nice to have a rifle that is truly one of a kind... I'm ready for the range report!

and it will make a great scratching stick if you get an itch. very nice and props for having the balls to do a different "flute" pattern in that barrel. there are some really cool patterns out there that no one uses for some reason

Sick looking rifle, love the shorty barrel. You may want to send it back to Jon though, that barrel is not threaded
wink.gif

Preliminary accuracy results are pretty exciting. My Varget/175SMK load was a bit under an inch for a 10 shot group. I was just pressure testing so with some tweaking it will shrink up. My 208 A-max/Reloader 17 load produced a 10 shot group that was .44 CTC. I am really eager to work that one up. A few have asked what it weighs and it is at 16.2 lbs fully rigged. The balance is very good, I am able to hold steady offhand. A review of the chassis is coming this weekend and my impression so far is this one puts the AICS to shame. Most noticeably the grip to trigger orientation is perfect and the overall fit and finish and detail is nicer than I have seen on any chassis available. If you look on the KRG website, you will notice these will be available for Tikka, TRG, Remington 700 SA and LA, Badger, etc. So keep that in mind if you're thinking about one.

How many teeth per inch is that "barrel fluting" ...And, part of your range report will need to include a pic of it cutting you and it out of a wall or something.
wink.gif
whistle.gif
grin.gif

WOW! Hey - I sold you the trigger! Does that mean I get to shoot it if I'm ever in Alaska!? Haha, seriously man, this is an AWESOME build! I'm really looking forward to the range report.

That is one bitchin' stick. Outstanding vision by you to make it come together, as well as the guys that did their magic.

Fantastic build Mnshortdraw !
That fluting looks like its a woven rope they did a great job on it.
Looking forward to hearing the review on the Whiskey chassis too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: firestorm1284</div><div class="ubbcode-body">WOW! Hey - I sold you the trigger! Does that mean I get to shoot it if I'm ever in Alaska!? Haha, seriously man, this is an AWESOME build! I'm really looking forward to the range report. </div></div> True, firestorm1284 shipped the trigger right to Beanland's bat cave for me. You can shoot this rifle anytime you're in Alaska my friend! I am spending a good part of the day with load development. It is on the third day of torrential downpours so we'll hope for the best.

normally I don't bat an eye at a short barreled .308........ this is not normally! That is a beautiful piece of art!!!! fantastic looking rig, and if it shoots half as good as it looks..... well it's just plain gorgeous.

That looks great.

I think it could be very functional, you could shoot at enemy, club the enemy, then saw on their neck!
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 762frmafr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Everything looks good except the barrel...I'll be "The One" I guess.... </div></div>No worries, it's definately a love it or hate it kind of a look. The guy doing my FFL transfer shared your sentiment. The nice thing is I'll be using this as a switch barrel platform and I'm planning more traditional look with my 7mm08 tube. Off to the range with 175smk's, 208 A max, and 190smk loads. It stopped raining so maybe I'll be able to see my target now.

Another question on the rifle, what made you want to go with the 'loop-around thumbhole stock (aka pistol grip or AI style) vs. a McMillan style drop down pistol grip?

BTW, your other barrel, the 7mm-08 is a good choice as well. Howevever, I did just get 'schooled' on how a 6.5 will beat it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandwarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Another question on the rifle, what made you want to go with the 'loop-around thumbhole stock (aka pistol grip or AI style) vs. a McMillan style drop down pistol grip?

BTW, your other barrel, the 7mm-08 is a good choice as well. Howevever, I did just get 'schooled' on how a 6.5 will beat it. </div></div>
I really liked how my old AICS felt other than the distance from grip to trigger. It was way too short. This stock addresses that issue with proper spacing. The fitment of the skins on the AICS also bugged me. On a $1000 stock the thing should at least look the part, not like an airsoft rifle. I also just wanted to try something different. McMillan A-5's are nice but everyone has one and they don't offer a folder. If everything goes as planned, the folding mechanism can be bolted on to this one when it becomes available.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mnshortdraw</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandwarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Another question on the rifle, what made you want to go with the 'loop-around thumbhole stock (aka pistol grip or AI style) vs. a McMillan style drop down pistol grip?

BTW, your other barrel, the 7mm-08 is a good choice as well. Howevever, I did just get 'schooled' on how a 6.5 will beat it. </div></div>
I really liked how my old AICS felt other than the distance from grip to trigger. It was way too short. This stock addresses that issue with proper spacing. The fitment of the skins on the AICS also bugged me. On a $1000 stock the thing should at least look the part, not like an airsoft rifle. I also just wanted to try something different. McMillan A-5's are nice but everyone has one and they don't offer a folder. If everything goes as planned, the folding mechanism can be bolted on to this one when it becomes available.</div></div>

Good explanation, thanks. I always have to ask the question as I used to have an Armalite AR-30. From pistol grip to trigger the spacing was about perfect for my hands. I, personally, liked the pistol grip on the bolt rifle because I think you have more control with it as opposed to the traditional and even drop-down style, (McMillan). Of course, it wasn't a folder.

Nice rifle! Is the barrel threaded? If it is, that is a nice cap.

-Matt
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jonaddis84</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sick looking rifle, love the shorty barrel. You may want to send it back to Jon though, that barrel is not threaded
wink.gif
</div></div>

Here are a few groups from my load development over the past week. Heavy rains and high winds have hampered my shooting until the last few days but I finally am making good progress. My suppressor is also giving me fits with a first round flyer issue so I wasn't getting anywhere for a few range trips. Accuracy seems to be around 1/2" 5 shot groups with my hand load 178 AMax. Factory match ammo has been quite good producing groups from .24" to .60". I obviously still have a ways to go with my hand loads.
2v9yh6g.jpg

20u62kj.jpg

Re: A one-off Beanland build completed *range results*

After a successful hunt I bet you can use that barrel as a meat tenderizer. Awesome rifle, and good luck with it.

Awesome rifle! How do you like your short barrel? Any noticed drop off in performance at longer distances?

If I may, how much would a build like this cost (not necessary how much did you pay). I suppose we’re talking thousands and thousands of $$$$...I’m a noob, so please keep that in mind…but what’s the expected accuracy of a rifle like this? Because from I’m seeing the accuracy you’re getting is not any better (or even as good) than a cheaper custom or even a good factory rifle. Could the fact that you went with a pre-production stock have a negative impact on accuracy? Or the potential is there and you just need to work the loads?

I really think he had some other issues going on when he first got the rifle. Those groups were shot before he got everything lined out. It is shooting in the .2's and .3's now constantly.

Thanks for the compliments everyone. The rifle does consistently shoot as good as I can drive it, about .2-.3" @100. I recently hit a 12" plate at 1156yards and that is the farthest I've ever shot it. Right away after getting the rifle built I was battling reloading issues, a bad set of rings and first round fliers with my suppressor. It obviously is all ironed out now and is bar none the finest rifle I've ever owned. Jon Beanland is super to deal with and I'd highly reccomend him to anyone looking to build a custom rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jmoney911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Awesome rifle! How do you like your short barrel? Any noticed drop off in performance at longer distances? </div></div> I am shooting 178 Amax at 2610fps and I am perfectly happy with the barrel length and performance. Even at a hair over 16lbs, I took this rifle on several deer hunts this year. All my rifles get used.

The barrel fluting is sweet.................

I already hate you for getting to live on Kodiak and now you go flaunting this rifle in front of me. Nice rig.

Great looking stick,how are the ergos on the stock

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M855</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great looking stick,how are the ergos on the stock </div></div>
I absolutely love this stock. I don't really care for the AR style stocks so much. Has a TRG feel to it, with a nice palm swell. The stock has a thumb shelf on it that I have used since day one. I have medium size hands and although this grip has been called large it fits my hand nicely. The mag release is ambidextrous and intuitive to use. My stock came with a rail on the buttstock instead of the bag rider that the production version comes with so I installed the monopod and it is working well for me. I shoot both prone and bench and the chassis works for both.

+1 on Beanland, I heard he is one of the best!