• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

A piece of history turned up today

Scrumbag

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 4, 2020
U.K.
OK a small and I doubt significantly important piece but something (I thought) interesting arrived for me in the post today.

It's not new, modern or high tech but it is in lovely condition, has a remarkably clear image, keeps things in focus ridiculously close and is a reminder of some not so long ago European history that has recently been thrown into light

ELI16Shl.jpg

Best wishes,

Scrummy

OK a small and I doubt significantly important piece but something (I thought) interesting arrived for me in the post today.

It's not new, modern or high tech but it is in lovely condition, has a remarkably clear image, keeps things in focus ridiculously close and is a reminder of some not so long ago European history that has recently been thrown into light

ELI16Shl.jpg

Best wishes,

Scrummy
Yep! Not so common these days!

Yep! Not so common these days!
Very cool...took a older (and at 69, I ain't young either haha) friend of mine to a club I belong to as he wanted to zero a couple of old Winchester Model 70 USMC which were made and sold to the government in '66-'68, I believe, and it was then replaced by a version based on the Rem 700 (and please don't jump me if I said something stupid...he's a vintage collector and I'm not so my knowledge of these things is very sketchy).

One of them had the expected Unertl but the other had this shorty Hensoldt that was pretty cool. He couldn't get the ocular adjusted for himself so I gave it a try. It did move, but with great difficulty, but we got it to where he could see out of it.

We sort of think its just old grease gunked up in there....but don't really know nor can we really do anything about it.

Yeah, this stuff like your West German Zeiss is pretty dang cool, IMO.

I have a set of Zeiss 8x30 "Field Glasses" inherited from my grandfather with a similar pedigree, even have the original case and manual slip. Modern Binos probably take them to the cleaners, but the optical clarity on them still beats anything under the $400 range :)

Very nice. I’ve got a soft spot for vintage gun stuff.

My dad bought this rifle, an HK 300, in .22WMR, around 1982 or 83. He mounted a cheap Simmons scope on a B-square base, because he couldn’t bring himself to pay as much for the HK QD mount, as he paid for the rifle. He passed away a few years ago, and I ended up with the rifle. I bought this similar vintage Schmidt Bender scope from a shop in Germany, and finally found an original HK mount in good condition. I think Dad would like it, and I know the rifle is grateful. 😉

Now to give the well used stock a little love.

Attachments

• 18B4B761-53B7-4F43-A901-43D4A362DCDF.jpeg
    18B4B761-53B7-4F43-A901-43D4A362DCDF.jpeg
    121.9 KB · Views: 53
  • 1F479315-EBAF-4F54-BF70-A6F74754E56B.jpeg
    1F479315-EBAF-4F54-BF70-A6F74754E56B.jpeg
    345.2 KB · Views: 48
Very nice. I’ve got a soft spot for vintage gun stuff.

My dad bought this rifle, an HK 300, in .22WMR, around 1982 or 83. He mounted a cheap Simmons scope on a B-square base, because he couldn’t bring himself to pay as much for the HK QD mount, as he paid for the rifle. He passed away a few years ago, and I ended up with the rifle. I bought this similar vintage Schmidt Bender scope from a shop in Germany, and finally found an original HK mount in good condition. I think Dad would like it, and I know the rifle is grateful. 😉

Now to give the well used stock a little love.
That's lovely stuff.

Reactions: Sniperstud
Very cool...took a older (and at 69, I ain't young either haha) friend of mine to a club I belong to as he wanted to zero a couple of old Winchester Model 70 USMC which were made and sold to the government in '66-'68, I believe, and it was then replaced by a version based on the Rem 700 (and please don't jump me if I said something stupid...he's a vintage collector and I'm not so my knowledge of these things is very sketchy).

One of them had the expected Unertl but the other had this shorty Hensoldt that was pretty cool. He couldn't get the ocular adjusted for himself so I gave it a try. It did move, but with great difficulty, but we got it to where he could see out of it.

We sort of think its just old grease gunked up in there....but don't really know nor can we really do anything about it.

Yeah, this stuff like your West German Zeiss is pretty dang cool, IMO.
Ah, Hendsoldt and Schmidt have been linked for a long time and top quality German glass they both are.

Reactions: Baron23