• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

A Pretty Fair Rifle and Handloads

Flatbush Harry

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jun 18, 2011
Colorado
I recently put a new scope on a lightly modded rifle I am setting up for precision shooting. The scope is a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP mounted on Leupy STD bases and rings. I brought it over to the local range yesterday to finish sighting it in. The rifle is a Rem 700 SPS-Varmint, glass-bedded in a B&C A5 stock. The whole set-up has cost me just under $1,900.

Also, I haven't been able to find any RL15 in three months and am out of it. I made up some new loads using VihtaVuori N550:45.0 gr over CCI BR2 primers and under a 168gr Sierra MatchKings. As I have 3 lbs of VV N550, I was hopeful that this would prove a useful alternative. The first target below is my final 3-shot sight-in group at 100 yards(0.40") (the two lower bulls are my initial groups) while the second target is a 20-shot group, fired just for practice. That one measured 1.25". Without the flyer at 2:00 o'clock, this might have been a more satisfying effort. Needless to say, I am pretty pleased. Now, I'll probably get another precision rifle (debating between a TRG-22 and an AI) but I may try to build another on the cheap in .260 Rem or 6.5x55, the latter being one of my favorite hunting rounds.

Scan130950001_zps04b3e4ee.jpg

Scan130950003_zps91e9d7fa.jpg