• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

a question of weight..

SD669

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 11, 2009
Victoria, Australia
I'm after the weight figure for an SPS Varmint barreled action in .308 for a build I've got in mind. I've searched but I dont seem to be finding it. I'm planning on using it and an AICS 1.5 and want to keep the weight down as much as possible.

thanks in advance for your help.

Re: a question of weight..

SD699,

Keeping rifle weight down and AICS stocks are an oxymoron. AICS are a fabulous shooting chassis, but weigh close to 6 lbs without an barreled action in them.

Want to keep weight down, read the posts in this section called: "I'm Rethinking This Whole Heavy Rifle Thing".

Bob

Thanks Chris and Bob.

I'm aware that it'll be heavy, the reason I was asking is I have a 17lb limit to keep my gear under if I'm shooting in F/TR..
if the AICS weighs 6 and the barreled action(i'm assuming with trigger) weighs approx 5.. then I should be well under when I add optic mounts and a scope. I go to the gym 4 times a week so it's not like the weight will bother me too much and it's not like I'd be lugging it around the sandbox or hunting with it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SD669</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks Chris and Bob.

I'm aware that it'll be heavy, the reason I was asking is I have a 17lb limit to keep my gear under if I'm shooting in F/TR..
if the AICS weighs 6 and the barreled action(i'm assuming with trigger) weighs approx 5.. then I should be well under when I add optic mounts and a scope. I go to the gym 4 times a week so it's not like the weight will bother me too much and it's not like I'd be lugging it around the sandbox or hunting with it. </div></div>

SD,

That was barreled action only. No optics, mount or trigger. What scope & barrel are you going to use?

-Chris

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cavemanmoore</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

SD,

That was barreled action only. No optics, mount or trigger. What scope & barrel are you going to use?

-Chris </div></div>

Planning on using Nightforce NF 8-32x56 with the Nightforce base and rings.
as for the barrel I'd keep the factory barrel or replace it with a kreiger palma contour.

Hi SD if you are4 going to shoot F Class standard i would not use the AICS they are not the best stock for the purpose the tracking area under the stock is not designed for shooting off sandbags, message me i could help you out with better options if you are looking for a F Class stock have a look at the Manners stocks they will pull the doors of the AICS for F Class shooting. you can easily fit a heavy tapered bartrel up to 7lb dont worry about the barrel size any barrel will fit into the weight limit. i have over a 2 pounds of mercuray recoil reducers in my stock and i am under the 8kg weight limit for standard and fit a bigger barrel for Open.

SD,

I think you'll have trouble staying under your weight restriction with an AICS. I'm at 16.5 pounds with a similar setup, only in an A5. Oh and that's with a factory box and floor plate. Keep us posted.

-Chris