• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

A question on rifling/grooves and lands

Maggot

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood"
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 27, 2007
    Virginia
    I have a Remington 5R in 308. I know the 5R refers to 5 (non opposed) grooves rather than the standard 6. As Ive read this contributes to less fouling and copper coming of the bullet as it traverses the barrel. Thats good. My question is, does this also make the 5R more accurate all else being the same?

I haven’t been able to tell any difference. I think it’s different but no better or worse.

Reactions: Maggot
    I have a Remington 5R in 308. I know the 5R refers to 5 (non opposed) grooves rather than the standard 6. As Ive read this contributes to less fouling and copper coming of the bullet as it traverses the barrel. Thats good. My question is, does this also make the 5R more accurate all else being the same?
    Members here have done some pretty extensive testing on this very subject, and found no difference. The barrel manufacturers who make both types say the same.

Reactions: Maggot
    Members here have done some pretty extensive testing on this very subject, and found no difference. The barrel manufacturers who make both types say the same.
    Thanks, Would you happen to have the link to that thread, if there is one.

NEVER MIND FOUND IT.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Supersubes
    No more or less accurate, but Frank Bartlein has mentioned on here several times that he thinks it's easier on the bullet jacket and may keep them from blowing up.