• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

A quick barrel change with an Accuracy International AW

Flats for the knuckle buster is key. I never would have thought to ask for those.

I had flats on a recent TL3 build. Was using a torque wrench and crow’s foot.

Got tired of fighting with it being awkward and used the hammer method. Zero problems.

You can also put your stock in a vice with soft jaws, put an unmounted barrel vice on the barrel and smack the ears with a hammer.

Machinests and gunsmiths all over will cringe and I’m sure you could actually mess an action up doing it, but thus far haven’t had an issue or know anyone who has.

I couldn't watch it just the thought of an adjustable wrench and a rusty hammer being used on an AI is scary. I can't stand the use of adjustable wrenches on most things let alone a quality rifle barrel but I guess that's just the mechanic in me wanting to use the right tool for the job.

I'm sure it works well enough but so would a pipe wrench I guess.

My favorite part was when he was loosening the old barrel, and the wrench smacked the new barrel! Love it. Classic Jacob!

I guess if it works, he seems to know his stuff though, after tens of thousands of rounds with the same rifle.

"And when you do it this way, it's automatically zeroed at 100... No, I lied about that."

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I think this being an AI helps. I'm not sure I'd do this with a traditional stock, but a chassis rifle would be fine. Maybe that's just me. I'd do it in a pinch if I had to, but as @XLR308 said, maybe it's just the mechanic in me that wants to use the right tools whenever they're available.

Reactions: tnichols
i-Bm2bFPg.gif

Wow, so easy a caveman could do it, a true hammer mechanic.
You know you can use a smaller hammer if you loosen the barrel clamp screw first. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

@tomirwin's head just exploded!

Last edited:
i-Bm2bFPg.gif

Wow, so easy a caveman could do it, a true hammer mechanic.
You know you can use a smaller hammer if you loosen the barrel clamp screw first. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

@tomirwin's head just exploded!

He can’t be too upset, the flip flop wearing hippy and his AW have sold at least a few thousand rifles for AI.

On another note. That rifle has gobbled a Porsche GT3 worth of Federal match ammo in it’s lifetime. Crazy!

Free bump to 2020 for cracking me up so bad!! Funny thing is Jacob and Lowlight where a very big part of me buying my first AI !!