• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns A regular guy review of a Gen 4 Glock 22 *UPDATE*

km71107

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 27, 2008
Northwest Louisiana
The agency I work for just bought new Gen 4 Glock 22's to replace the Gen 3's we've had for about 11yrs. I went to the range today, signed for the new Glock and was told to grab ammo and go qualify with it. No practice, just shoot a 60 round course and carry it. After carrying the Gen 3 for this long, the Gen 4 did feel a little odd. The smaller grip will take a little getting used to. I grip the gun as high as possible and I guess this combined with the smaller grip resulted in this after 60 rounds:
81d899b3.jpg

Not a serious injury, but enough to be annoying as hell. I never had this problem with the Gen 3. I also shot low with the Gen 4, but I'll cure both of these problems with a little range time and grip adjustment.
Most of the changes to the Gen 4 seem to be an improvement. The smaller grip (without the add on backstrap) feels less like a fingergrooved 2x4. I didn't try the other backstraps and doubt I will. I like the rougher texture, the gun seems a lot less likely to slide around in wet hands. The double recoil spring seemed like it may help some with muzzle flip. My recovery time between shots seemed a little faster. I'm not sure about the new mag release. It seems like it would be too easy to bump it and drop a mag at the worst possible time.
I compared the two guns and out of curiosity, tried the Gen 4 top half on the Gen 3 frame, no-go. The base of the guide rod is wider and so is the frame cutout on the Gen 4. The Gen 3 top half will fit and function fine on the Gen 4 frame, it just looks a little funny. Here are some pics of the frames & slides. The Gen 3 is on the left and Gen 4 is on the right:
ff70937e.jpg

1028c104.jpg

And of course a pic of the nice new, for now, Gen 4 and my old, skinned up, beat up, skateboard taped Gen 3 I was able to buy for $295
grin.gif
Not a bad price for a beater gun to leave in the truck.
85b4b91b.jpg

Well, there's my review of a Gen 4 Glock. If you don't like it, sorry. I'm not a gunwriter, I just carry the thing on duty and shoot the hell out of it every chance I get. By the way, our new duty load is Winchester Ranger bonded 180gr.

Re: A regular guy review of a Gen 4 Glock 22

I shot my new Gen4 slightly high and to the left without a backstrap on it. Put the medium backstrap on and went right back to shooting like I expected it to.

Did you get the new "dot" 5lb connector in yours? We got them and I think they provide and improved trigger feel over the old 5lb connectors. We went from the "+" connector to the "." so that had a bit to do with my pleasure as well.

It does have the new connector in it. I couldn't tell much difference in it though. I do plan on trying the other backstraps when I get a chance.

I had round 2 today with the new Glock. I tried the other backstraps. The midsize is pretty close to the Gen 3 and the large was too big. I ran about 30 rounds through it with the midsize backstrap and got the same result as the 1st time, the slide cutting my hand.
mad.gif
Dammit! I'll just spend some time on the range working on my grip. That'll be a good excuse to run free ammo through a new gun
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: km71107</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Not a bad price for a beater gun to leave in the truck.
</div></div>
Where do you park?
grin.gif

Nice reviews.my dept is changing over from 19s to 23s.So my unit is lookin to get 22s to replace our 17s.I see nothing wrong with 9mm's its all about shot placement,but I own a gen3 g22 and like it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: km71107</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had round 2 today with the new Glock. I tried the other backstraps. The midsize is pretty close to the Gen 3 and the large was too big. I ran about 30 rounds through it with the midsize backstrap and got the same result as the 1st time, the slide cutting my hand.
mad.gif
Dammit! I'll just spend some time on the range working on my grip. That'll be a good excuse to run free ammo through a new gun
grin.gif
. </div></div>

<span style="font-style: italic">Supposedly</span> Glock has a beavertail backstrap going in to production sometime soon. I've seen photos of one so I know it's been done. That would likely take care of your issue. I've asked our Glock rep to get me a couple when they begin to show up but who knows if/when that will be.

A beavertail would be nice, I think it would work. I've talked to several people who have a problem with the slide hitting their hand. They just don't get it as bad as I do. I ran another 60rds through it today with no problems. Well, when I remembered to get my hand LOWER on the gun. This thing will take some getting used to, but I'm determined to shoot perfect scores with it in qualification.

I am not understanding how one gets slide bite from a Glock. Not to sound rude or anything. Perhaps it is my small hands. I just cannot get high enough on the grip for the slide to even come close.

It's because he is shooting a right hand gun left handed.
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Utah Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am not understanding how one gets slide bite from a Glock. Not to sound rude or anything. Perhaps it is my small hands. I just cannot get high enough on the grip for the slide to even come close.

</div></div>
No worries, I didn't take it as rude. This is how I get bit by this Glock:
ea3ab307.jpg

a88ebac9.jpg

2dc84408.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's because he is shooting a right hand gun left handed.
laugh.gif
</div></div>
Maybe that's what it is. I guess I need to swap hands, but the last time I swapped hands my hand slipped off and....oh hell nevermind
crazy.gif

when i was competing heavily with my glock 19, I used to have calluses right where the slide would skin the web of my hand like yours is. 1000 rds aweek will do that to your hand.
character scars is all.

Yeah I must have small hands. There is no way I can get a grip that high on it.

The Gen 3 and Gen 4 grips are the same size unless you start adding backstraps to the Gen 4.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GRMGR1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Gen 3 and Gen 4 grips are the same size unless you start adding backstraps to the Gen 4. </div></div>

The Gen4 without a backstrap is smaller (2mm) than the Gen3 frames. Adding the medium backstrap adds that 2mm back making it the same size as a Gen3. Put the large backstrap on and it is 2mm larger than the Gen3.

Thanks , That was simple and I understand what is going on now,We have the gen4's here for molding and I just did not have time to feel out the backstraps. <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phylodog</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GRMGR1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Gen 3 and Gen 4 grips are the same size unless you start adding backstraps to the Gen 4. </div></div>

The Gen4 without a backstrap is smaller (2mm) than the Gen3 frames. Adding the medium backstrap adds that 2mm back making it the same size as a Gen3. Put the large backstrap on and it is 2mm larger than the Gen3. </div></div>

Well, I have an update on the Gen 4. I did a little research and found a Grip Force beavertail adapter. It looked like it might work since the Glock factory beavertal adapter isn't in production. I asked the department Rangemaster about it and told him I would pay for it if it was approved. He looked into it and told the Training Captain about it. The Captain told him to order a few for T&E.
I picked mine up today and had it installed. I didn't have time to take it to the range but after handling the gun with the Grip Force, I really like it so far. It's comfortable and it'll stop the Gen 4 biting me. No more bleeding after running a few magazines through it.
Now for my crappy photography skills. Here are some pics of the Grip Force installed:
de009045.jpg
637e0da3.jpg
3fc7d3c7.jpg
f001e77a.jpg