• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes A Review of Scope Accessories from MK Machining

Glassaholic

Optical theorist and conjecturer
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Nov 30, 2012
    Panhandle, FL
    For those of you who may not know, MK Machining is owned by @Tyler Kemp who has been a Hide Member and Contributor for a number of years. Most of you may know him for his 3D printed throw levers that he sells at very reasonable prices, but MK also makes some billet scope levels along with other accessories, but his latest creation is a 3D printed turret magnifier. For the young folks out there the magnifier may seem like somewhat of a head scratcher but for those of us who suffer from presbyopia this is a welcome addition because when we open our non-dominant eye to view the turret it can be a blurry mess, but with the turret magnifier it brings it into nice focus and actually makes it bigger (it is a "magnifier" after-all).

20191006_MK_Machining_001.jpg

20191006_MK_Machining_002.jpg

After obtaining one of Tyler's billet levels I decided to replace my Vortex Lo Pro levels with them, was there anything wrong with the Vortex Lo Pro - not that I could tell other than aesthetics, while the Lo Pro may be one of the thinnest levels on the market, it has a huge section where the screw tension is located, MK Machining's billet level is a tad wider but has far less metal or at least it looks like it, making a more streamlined look to the overall package.

Tried to get an image from the perspective of my non-dominant eye, you can clearly see the turret setting through the magnifier (I tilted mine a little to the left to align more with my eye) as well as see the bubble level.
    20191006_MK_Machining_004.jpg

If you're looking at some of the 3D printed gear you'll notice the typical unfinished look; however, check out his Pro Series which uses a new process that the website describes as:
    The Pro Series combines the strength and durability of our polymer levers with surface finish of molded parts. Our Pro Series Line is manufactured using a HP Fusion Jet 3D Printer. MK Machining is excited to utilize advanced printing techniques and materials to continue pushing the boundaries of what’s possible.

The below image shows the slim fit of the MK Machining billet bubble level.
    20191006_MK_Machining_005.jpg

In the image below you can see the standard polymer throw lever on the left and the pro lever on the right, the pro lever has a more refined look to it and does give more of a molded appearance look, for me personally, I prefer the "look" of the pro levers over the standard polymer. Also, MK's website also mentions a new FDE Nylon and a "Custom Carbon Fiber Nylon", not sure what the latter is but it sure sounds interesting.
    20191102_Burris_XTRIII_3.3-18x50_004.jpg

MK also sells throw lever and level packages and Tyler has already mention on the Hide there will be a Black Friday special with the carbon fiber lever and billet level so keep your eye out for that.

One final note, I was looking for a throw lever for my Minox ZP5 scope but he doesn't list one on his website, so I gave him a call and we chatted for a bit about gear and he told me to try the Kahles throw lever for my ZP5 as the ocular has almost the same diameter. As you can see in the pictures below, the fit is perfect but there is a gap in the lever bump as the Kahles is wider than the Minox, but this is a minor issue.

With the throw lever in the normal magnification ranges it stays far clear of the bolt.
    20191006_MK_Machining_008.jpg

The material of the "Pro lever" is much more dense and just looks nicer.
    20191006_MK_Machining_010.jpg

At 5x on the scope the bolt is pretty close but still manueverable.
    20191006_MK_Machining_006.jpg

If you manhandle your bolt you might have an issue, but if you use the palm of your hand to push the round forward you shouldn't have an issue.
    20191006_MK_Machining_007.jpg

This is the Kahles throw lever which fits the diameter but there is a slight gap with the mag ring lever.
    20191006_MK_Machining_011.jpg

If you do not see your scope in the list, call Tyler up, if he doesn't have a lever he will offer a great deal if you're willing to ship him your scope so he can take measurements.

Tyler gave me great recommendations for a lpvo level that was gonna be used on a duty gun. Went with the level that was easiest to snap off Incase it got hooked in a confined space. Obviously an unusual requirement but the information and service was great

Reactions: Glassaholic
    I would have LMFAO at the turret magnifier 10 years ago. As I sit here today, a few years past the point that I really should have gotten bifocals, it looks like an excellent idea that is well-executed (y)

That is an awesome product and makes me say "why didn't I think of that?". Not that I'd actually manufacture one. :geek:

They have great stuff. The parallax wheel is another product I love.

I just got the pro series lever for a Cronus and it's great, the fit is perfect and the finish on it is worth the little bit extra.

Which Kahles throw lever are you using? Tyler should make a ZP5 specific model although my mag ring is not stiff at all.

Which Kahles throw lever are you using? Tyler should make a ZP5 specific model although my mag ring is not stiff at all.
    It's the Kahles K624i lever that I'm using on the ZP5. Tyler said he would gladly make one for the ZP5 if someone would send him a scope (if you do that he'll give you a great deal on the lever itself), I'm tempted to send him one of my scopes...

Thanks for taking the time to put this together, Bill. It’s a great write up. Do you know if the Pro levers are stronger than the standard 3D printed ones? It’s nice to see this option and they do look much better than the standard ones. I have some of the standard levers already and plan on adding some Pro levers along with the levels and will probably order one magnifier to give it a try.

Thank you for all the great reviews you do here, I have selected a number of my scopes based largely on them.

I broke a 3d printed lever when screwing it down. I would get non printed ones.

If it was an older model I'd love to replace it with a newer one! Our levers from the past year have been since we began getting material made for us. Leagues more torque resistant, and much more durable than an aluminum lever in certain scenarios. Won't harm your scope either.

@Tyler Kemp I just threw you some money. I found out this past week....that my eyes are old :( Had to come off the rifle several times to see exactly where my scope was dialed...it sucked.

Now if you could create an audible scope level...from my old 1989 Nissan 240sx talking door is ajar sensor... "your rifle isn't level.....I said your rifle isn't level....hey big dummy...I said your rifle isn't level"...bang!..."Yea...you missed didn't you? I said your rifle wasn't level"

I was set on the Vortex branded throw lever, but didn't like the high price. I've ordered other items from smaller companies on this forum and have yet to be disappointed so I ordered the pro series lever from MK Machining. I would have also gotten a bubble level had I already not owned one, but I am looking forward to the pro series lever!

Tyler this was back in 2017 so I am sure a lot of improvements have been done.

You did replace it already but the replacement was also torn after a while so I gave up.

For the record I bought 3 different models but only the one for my Razor had issue and Tyler will take care you if you have any issue so no complains. Not seeking replacement after 2 years. :)

If it was an older model I'd love to replace it with a newer one! Our levers from the past year have been since we began getting material made for us. Leagues more torque resistant, and much more durable than an aluminum lever in certain scenarios. Won't harm your scope either.

I would have LMFAO at the turret magnifier 10 years ago. As I sit here today, a few years past the point that I really should have gotten bifocals, it looks like an excellent idea that is well-executed (y)
    100% this. And for those that think it will never be them, let me tell you, your early to mid 40's say otherwise. It's nearly unavoidable as your lens begins to harden at that age. At 41 y/o, it has finally started happening to me, which is a bit discouraging at first, but...improvise, adapt, overcome!

100% this. And for those that think it will never be them, let me tell you, your early to mid 40's say otherwise. It's nearly unavoidable as your lens begins to harden at that age. At 41 y/o, it has finally started happening to me, which is a bit discouraging at first, but...improvise, adapt, overcome!
    It happened later for me, around 47 I would say, I had the audacity to think that somehow my eyes would not be affected by age, then over the past 3 years the age has been hammering my eyes and it seems like each year they get worse :geek:

Reactions: Ste48boltrunner
    I remember going HA! what a good Aprils Fools joke....to damn...I gotta get me one....to now...a paid customer...