• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes A ruined Green Redfield

xarmor

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 5, 2008
Austin, Tx
This is harder to look at than any of Shanksters hot women. Someone took an engraver and engraved a SN on an otherwise very nice condition Green Redfied. The sn (which is wrong) was engraved with a vibra tool engraver and it is in the wrong place. This scope is also for sale (not by me) and for just $7000 + shipping and insurance it could be yours!

Oh the humanity!

BrBbYmmkKGrHqIH-EYEvB-82bDSBL4TGiEb.jpg

BrBbSrgCGkKGrHqMH-DkEvDblpdyjBL4SwZ.jpg

Re: A ruined Green Redfield

That should be the serial number for the rifle it was mounted on.

We've tried to buy it several times (not for $7k) but the seller does not answer e-mails or follow up once they do answer the initial e-mail.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That should be the serial number for the rifle it was mounted on. </div></div>

169063A is not an M40 SN. No 6 digit M40 had a suffix letter. The originals were also done with an electric pencil not a vibra tool engraver. The original scopes were also very neatly done and the numbering is very consistant in size and technique. The scopes were SN'd at Remington when they were mounted to a rifle. Some green scopes were never serialized because they did not leave the factory on a rifle, they were meant for rifles sent without scopes from Remington or field replacements. Scopes without a SN to a rifle are pretty rare, this would have been one of them. I have PM'd the seller several times with questions, no response.

Yup, I have seen that one advertised on egay for a while now, and its also listed on Gunbroker, quite a shame.

169063 is a legitimate number. I wouldn't think a forger would have added the "A" when there was no reason to. The "A" could have meant something to someone at some time. The Corps takes pride in uniformity in many things, but I also know they were very non-uniform in other areas. They made changes when it was expedient to do so. So, if you are counting on the same methods being used the same ways all the time, don't. What I do find interesting is the lack of evidence of ever having been mounted. That's what I'd be concerned about, considering that 169063 was a real M40.

Could this number possibly be from a 40X? but as stated previously the use of a different type of engraving tool makes it unlikely.