• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

A Shooter's Ode To Varget

clmayfield

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 14, 2008
San Antonio, Texas
<span style="font-size: 14pt"><span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">A Shooter’s Ode to Varget</span></span></span>

Some love to load with Scenars
And some swear by the SMK
But when I think of the stuff
My cartridge is made of
I reach for that jug of Var-jay.

I like to shoot all year through
In Winter or on a hot Texas day
When it gets hot, she’s not,
Though she varies lot to lot
That is my bitter-sweet Var-jay.

When you ask for her at Cabela’s
Though her name looks French, like “valet;”
Know she’s called “varget”
For quashing critters and targets
But at home, I call her Var-jay.

My eye has wandered, it’s true.
8208 is better, they say.
And there’s 2000 MR
Just don’t leave it in the car
It can’t beat the heat like Var-jay.

It’s known that she can’t meter well
Brand Cole makes his living that way.
He built his Prometheus
Just so he could please us
Poor users of chunky Var-jay.

When I go to make my next load
For a bolt gun or an M1A,
Lapua will make the brass
And if my head’s not up my ass,
I will reach for my jug of Var-jay.

Re: A Shooter's Ode To Varget

laugh.gif
Excellent!

Outstanding!!! truly awesome! my absolute favorite powder.
Carter, do you mind if i print it and hang it above my beloved reloading bench? i think it will make a good conversation piece. I will leave all your info intact of corse!

Of course! I was just frustrated today. I have a trusty load of 43.0 gr of Varget with 175 SMK that makes bugholes, but I wanted something with a higher BC for 1,000. I bought some 155gr Scenars and read that 8208 xbr was THE powder to use. So I bought some. Didn't work. So I bought some 4895, which is supposed to be better than Varget for 155's. Didn't work.

So I am there at the range, all sad, thinking, "Why in the hell did I not use Varget? Every 308 load that I have that has been successful has used it. I need to write a poem about it." And so I did. Glad you liked it.

I feel your pain, i have been there many times, yet i still come back to old faithful! my pet load is still 44 grains varget with 178 amax. 0.3 moa as long as im doing my part.

Still shooting 47 grains of it and my 155 Scenar myself.

I got a kick out of that... Thanks!

I can vouch for the mood swings between lots!! I've had to add 1.5grs more Var-jay to my .223 loads, to get my velocity back.

Sure made me laugh reading that poem. I can also relate to your experiance and fustration. I have been using it a long time and had great experiances with it. I have aslo turned quite a few friends on to it.
Oddly when I got into one my last jugs it burned real dirty for some reason. Have any of you run into this before?

I use 45 grs of it behind a 175smk for sub moa groups at 1k

Great great. I'm fairly new to reloading and have only used varget so far. I hav 3 5lb jugs. Is it worth mixing 2 jugs together when I get half way through one, start mixing in some of th new jug? Kind of like a new kind of dog food.