• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

A shoulder bump die with a Mic head?

Fatelvis

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 15, 2003
Mokena, IL
Does anybody make a sizing die that has a repeatable micrometer head for adjusting shoulder set-back?

But that's not a bump die.

You would need something similar to a competition seating die except both parts would have to be hardened. The problem is that die would do more than bump. There are too many chamber variances out there.

Trouble is you're not just bumping the shoulders you're also resizing the body too, can't have one without the other. Would be a special kind of die.

Was just adjusting my Redding body die today, was able to get .001" adjustments to get it just so. Will never have to set that die again until I rebarrel (using a Forster Co-ax press and lock rings).

Making a die that has a micrometer for bumping shoulders is indeed a good idea, but I don't think it can be done and work well. A fl die is very strong and rigid, with no moving parts. If you introduce a micrometer, now you have moving parts, and tolerances most certainly will drop. Also, the die would most likely be weaker than a simple machined piece of steel and might not hold up.

Making a die that has a micrometer for bumping shoulders is indeed a good idea, but I don't think it can be done and work well. A fl die is very strong and rigid, with no moving parts. If you introduce a micrometer, now you have moving parts, and tolerances most certainly will drop. Also, the die would most likely be weaker than a simple machined piece of steel and might not hold up.

Just a few of the problems I've run into...

like this?
blocks_image_19_1.png

1/2 way down the page
Whidden Gunworks

That is a micrometer SEATING die, FatElvis wants a Die that is micrometer adjustable for SIZING! ( to just give it a little twist +/- to set shoulder setback )

I have a design for this, but it ain't quite ready for prime time, and would most likely be too expensive, and wouldn't really solve any problems other than "convenience"

Not to mention that it is no big deal to loosen a lock ring and adjust a die body, which is why I have not pursued the project beyond the drawing stage.

The Redding competition shell holders are the closest commercial solution to precision incremental changes with fl sizing. Remember something too; with a ⅞ x 14 die, each 5 degrees of rotation equals .001 of elevation. You could mark your lock ring relative to the die for a rough estimate and fine tune from there.

No Shit Sherlock, but I don't see a micrometer head on it!

If you calmed down and stopped jumping to conclusions, you would realize that my post was not directed towards you, but to kd185, whose post I quoted, not yours. Watch your mouth.

like this?
blocks_image_19_1.png

1/2 way down the page
Whidden Gunworks

never mind
i fucked up
i posted quick without a thorough read of the Whidden site
a quick glance and it looked like the offered one sizing die with the Micrometer head and one without
after a full read i see that there offering die "set" with a Micrometer seater and bushing or nonbushing FL Sizer
not enough coffee when i posted
my bad

I thought the mic head would allow for easier adjustments due to the finer threads on the mic head (or even a knurled stem head, like on the "s" style dies). I can (and do) adjust them the old fashioned way, but it seems a very inexact way of tuning it.

I thought the mic head would allow for easier adjustments due to the finer threads on the mic head (or even a knurled stem head, like on the "s" style dies). I can (and do) adjust them the old fashioned way, but it seems a very inexact way of tuning it.

Like I stated above, it is a good logical idea, but the design may not be strong enough for the sizing operation. As a comparison to illustrate my concern, the redding comp seating die is prone to breaking if used with compressed loads.

FULL LENGTH SIZING DIES
This is what I was looking for! Bonus that it is a FL die also. If less body sizing is wanted, you can back off the die and adjust the shoulder bump accordingly. Expensive, but will be a fine addition to my toy (I mean tool) collection! Lol

don't over look the case lubing process for consistency, i played hell trying to get the shoulders bumped to the same exact number
until i had good uniform lubing, then it got pretty consistent. ymmv.

David Tubb makes a die that does have a floating bushing. The cool thing about it is that the bushing also bumps the shoulder. It doesn't have a micrometer head, but the threads are fine. The problem is it is only made for the 6xc. It really is a great design with a lot if potential.

Last edited: