• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship A simple sling/bipod method

MontanaMarine

MGySgt, Ret.
Minuteman
Dec 9, 2001
Canyon Ferry, MT
Here's a simple method of employing a basic M16 combat sling to yield added support in the offhand/kneeling positions, and significant downward/rearward pressure with the bipod in sitting or prone. This can help reduce bipod hop with some of the lighter rifles, and aid in self spotting.

Basic setup is a simple loop forward using the slider to adjust loop to best length to fit you. one setting works for me in all positions.
IMG_0199-1.jpg

Usage is simply inserting the forward arm through the large loop to your upper arm, then using your upper arm to apply or maintain tension, as needed. No tightening of the loop is necessary, it's real easy/fast to get in/out of it.

Offhand:
IMG_0224.jpg

Kneeling:
IMG_0229.jpg

Sitting/bipod (Harris 12-25" swivel, fully extended):
Picture006.jpg

Prone/bipod (Harris 12-25" swivel, fully retracted):
IMG_0203.jpg

Re: A simple sling/bipod method

I've done something similar for prone, but your method looks more useful in more situations. Neat innovation. My left shoulder's not in good shape and if this works, I'll be very grateful. The photos are good, but I'm unclear whether the sling remains attached to the rear stud, and whether or not it's slack.

Greg

I should add, and it's visible in the pics, with the sitting/prone positions the sling loop is essentially right at my elbow, in the crook of my arm.

Greg, I recall reading your prone/bipod sling method a while back. It stuck in my head and got me to thinking/improvising.

Shane - what material is the sling made of? Is it something you made or the different way to use an existing sling?

I like this idea better than my cuff model, I'll have to try it in the field and see how it works for me.

My only problem is to have a heavy duty enough stock. I used a similar method on a Butler creek stock on a 10/22 and it flexed enough to hit the barrel and was getting some horizontal stringing. Cheap stock so that is my fault

It's a basic Milspec nylon M16 sling, with two sliders. We used to call it a field sling, or a parade sling, as apposed to the range sling made for slinging up via the traditional loop.

Thanks for posting this. This winter I did a fair amount of shooting off of frozen ground , and even with tensioning the sling/loading the bipod, I still had more muzzle jump than I cared for. It hasn't been as bad since the ground thawed, but your methods looks like they may be easier to use and more effective than what I was doing. I'll give it a try the next time out.

MM;

Actually, that's the ultimate compliment, coming from you.

I think it's a good ball to keep on rolling...

So tell me, what's going on back at the rear sling stud. It the sling attached? Is it taut or slack?

That's what I was thinking, but I wanted to ask and be sure.

Yes the sling remains attached at the rear swivel.

There is vitually no fiddling or adjusting needed, to go from carry strap, to shooting, in any of the positions. Just push your arm through and go.

It should be very easy to apply in any number of improvised field positions.

I'm going to order some 1.5" tan webbing and sliders and make up a couple that are a little bit longer. This just works for me, but A little more length of the strap would allow a larger loop front and rear for latitude with different sized shooters.

Having a little more extra length in the rear would give latitude in length as a carry strap, without disturbing the loop length up front.

The 12-25" is a very versatile bipod when one employs a bit of ingenuity with it.

Great pics/idea and I hope you can get that dog butt shown in pic 3 surgically removed from your head some time soon
wink.gif

I have always used a 9-13" and it works pretty good overall.

I needed something taller to get above the grass/sage, so I picked up one of the 12-25" to have as an option. I'm going to spend some time with it and see how it goes. My thinking was I could use a pack or something with the legs folded for a prone shot, but have the height to sit when needed. As it turns out, 12" is not that bad in the prone for me, but I know different body shapes/size are a factor.

I know a shooter that just lays on his ruck to get himself and the rear bag up for prone with the 12-25 so he still has the 25 for sitting shots. This is specific to a match where we are not allowed to change bipods during the match. I take the opposite approach and use a 9-13 - put it on top of the ruck for sitting and lay on the ground for the prones.

Your sling use for sure helps stabilize the flexy 12-25 - that is what I like about it the most.

So, I have a Tactical Intervention sling (without the cuff) on my rifle and I adjusted it so the loop would let me position it like you show in the prone position. I have not live fired using this set-up but I will say it appears to work well and the rifle can be held very steady.

How much back pressure do you pull into the sling? Also, should the sling pressure angle be straight back? I notice that when I hook it in the crook of my arm like you show, it is positioned off to the side of the rifle just a little because that is where my elbow is.

I just put firm pressure, probably 15-20 lbs or so. I couldn't say what's "best".

If the pressure isn't directly to the rear it shouldn't matter too much with most calibers, as long as you are fairly consistent. If both bipod feet stay on the ground, I think that's where consistency is established.

Thanks Shane, I am looking forward to trying this. As a hunter, I was always messing with the cuff and heavy hunting clothes. It never seemed to work well or quickly for me in the field so I quit using it.

Which bipod is it that you are using, do you have a reliable online source for purchase, both for the bipod and the sling? Thanks.

Regards,
Stubb

Bipod is a Harris 12-25, swivel. I bought it aboutv a month ago at Big River Tactical.

Sling is standard military issue combat sling for the M16 rifle. I've had this one for decades, but I would imagine it's easy enough to find at many online stores like US Cavalry, Brigade Quartermaster, Cheaper Than Dirt, etc.

All,

Artificial support, such as that described here, not only helps to provide a steady position, but, as well, helps to maintain the position until recoil subsides. Some folks here are not aware that for best results, it's the support after the trigger is pulled, but before the bullet has left the barrel, which is controlling recoil, appointing a limit and pattern to it, to essentially keep perspective of aim and direction the barrel is pointed in sync.

Ching Ching. Shane thats a great idea. I bought a Ching sling years ago and have never taken it out of the package. I'mma going shooting this afternoon
Semper Fidelis,
Tipy

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sterling Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All,

Artificial support, such as that described here, not only helps to provide a steady position, but, as well, helps to maintain the position until recoil subsides. Some folks here are not aware that for best results, it's the support after the trigger is pulled, but before the bullet has left the barrel, which is controlling recoil, appointing a limit and pattern to it, to essentially keep perspective of aim and direction the barrel is pointed in sync.</div></div>

That is what I love about that sling-supported prone position. You were trying to help me with my recoil management issues with my 270... the durn thing would jump out of my hand as I would fire. I was trying to figure out ways to torque that gun down to maintain my POA throughout recoil. That sling-supported prone position appears to be just the ticket. And the beauty is you can be completely relaxed while doing this, using your upper body weight to apply the pressure.

Great thread!

Here are some follow-up pics. Mike (Tactical) sent some nylon and sliders so I put one together with those materials. Flat sliders might be a bit grippier than round, but I rigger's taped the ends to prevent any slippage.

I'm going to run with this setup. Gives me all I want/need, and nothing I don't.

IMG_0398.jpg

IMG_0412.jpg

IMG_0417.jpg

IMG_0396.jpg

Greg asked Shane early on if the rear part of the sling was loose or if disconnected from the stock. Try using the loose rear portion of the sling instead of a bag. Currently I have a section of M16 sling on my rifle that I use instead of a bag. I wear a HP style shooting glove to grip the sling stub and control elevation with it by clinching and relaxing the grip. Learned it from Rick Boucher and it works. Should work with Shane's sling method.

ah, another answer! i'm trying to figure out what type of sling to put on my new rifle without spending too much. t a b looks awesome but high $ for my budget gun. needs to be practicle enough to learn proper fundamentals and employ for deer hunting. looks like this is it. now if only i could find one in digital camo to match the new .308?

I am resurrecting this, since I just saw the pic posted elsewhere (longrangehunting perhaps) and googled this thread. I'd like to try this, however I've just installed a left side sling swivel, since I prefer to carry in front with muzzle down. Can you recommend an elegant way to adapt your technique without pulling undue pressure on that left side? I've envisioned many inelegant ways...

Also, how does this sling technique work in conjunction with or opposed to bipod-loading?

I don't have any recomendations for side mounted slings, as I don't have any, and have no experience with them.

It works fine with forward pressure on the bipod.

Thanks for the post -- I'm always looking for ideas for a more stable shooting position ... it is extremely important for first round hits and this is another great technique to throw in the tool box.

awesome thanks for posting... although i will note as im sure you know but perhaps were distracted for camera purposes... you dont want elbow bone touching knee bone in the kneeling position.

After a ruptured L4/5 disk and surgery, I do the best I can. The ol' back doesn't flex like it once did......grin.

Walmart and Cabelas sell a quick slide, hunter sling like pictured. I have one with the Winchester logo and one with a Browning buck.

Quite often I just assume a hasty sling and go, my jacket sleeve can hang up in the loop not allowing a quick set under pressure. Wrapping my hand as well as my arm seems to help with the 'steady' as well as keeping cant down. It also allows some slack to be taken up by pulling back on the sling and 'setting' the position.

+1 for Tactical Intervention sling in modified position.

I use the cuff in prone but in the manner the author this post uses his sling, near the elbow - not high on the arm. I'm not a pro, but it seems to work well for me to keep the rifle tucked in tight to my shoulder during recoil.

Nate