• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

A smile for my buddy QueeQueg

Maggot

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood"
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 27, 2007
    Virginia
    WASHINGTON – NPR president and CEO Vivian Schiller resigned Wednesday in the wake of comments by a fellow executive that angered conservatives and renewed calls to end federal funding for public broadcasting.

The chairman of NPR's board of directors announced that he has accepted Schiller's resignation, effective immediately. Schiller wouldn't say whether she offered to quit or was forced out.

On Tuesday, conservative activist James O'Keefe posted a hidden-camera video in which NPR executive Ron Schiller bashed the tea party movement as "racist" and "xenophobic" and said NPR would be better off without federal funding. Ron Schiller is not related to Vivian Schiller.

Vivian Schiller told The Associated Press that her fellow executive's comments were outrageous and unfortunate at a critical time for NPR, which is fighting to keep congressional funding.

NPR has long been a target of conservatives who claim its programming has a left-wing bias. The budget bill passed by the House last month would end funding for the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, which supports programs distributed on NPR and PBS.

[Related: Time to take NPR, PBS private?]

Similar efforts to strip funding from public broadcasting in 2005 and in the 1990s were unsuccessful.

Vivian Schiller was criticized for last year's firing of analyst Juan Williams after he said on Fox News that he feels uncomfortable when he sees people in "Muslim garb" on airplanes. She later said she was sorry for the way she handled Williams' dismissal but stood by her decision to fire him.

More in Entertainment
    The New Royals: Insight on Prince William & Kate Middleton's wedding
    Full coverage of the royal wedding on Yahoo! News
    Complete entertainment coverage"The board accepted her resignation with understanding, genuine regret, and great respect for her leadership of NPR these past two years," board chairman Dave Edwards said in a statement. "I recognize the magnitude of this news and that it comes on top of what has been a traumatic period for NPR and the larger public radio community."

O'Keefe, best known for hidden-camera videos that embarrassed the community-organizing group ACORN, posted the NPR video on his website, Project Veritas. The group said the video was shot on Feb. 22.

The video shows two activists posing as members of a Muslim group at a lunch meeting with Ron Schiller and another NPR executive, Betsy Liley. The men offered NPR a $5 million donation and engage in a wide-ranging discussion about tea party Republicans, pro-Israel bias in the media and anti-intellectualism.

"The current Republican Party is not really the Republican Party. It's been hijacked by this group that is ... not just Islamophobic but, really, xenophobic," Ron Schiller said in the video, referring to the tea party movement. "They believe in sort of white, middle America, gun-toting — it's scary. They're seriously racist, racist people."

NPR said it was appalled by Ron Schiller's comments. Schiller had already told NPR before the video was shot that he was resigning as president of its fundraising arm and a senior vice president for development. He said in a statement Tuesday night that his resignation would be effective immediately.

"While the meeting I participated in turned out to be a ruse, I made statements during the course of the meeting that are counter to NPR's values and also not reflective of my own beliefs. I offer my sincere apology to those I offended," he said.

O'Keefe asked supporters to sign a petition urging Congress to review NPR's funding.

"We've just exposed the true hearts and minds of NPR and their executives," O'Keefe said on his website.

CPB is getting $430 million in the current fiscal year, although NPR only gets about 2 percent of its revenue from the federal government. Government funding accounts for about 10 percent of the budgets of its member stations.

"It is very clear that we would be better off in the long run without federal funding," Ron Schiller said in the video, saying it would allow the organization to become an independent voice and clear up the misconception that it is largely government-funded.

House Majority Leader Eric Cantor, R-Va., said in a statement that NPR's executives have "finally admitted that they do not need taxpayer dollars to survive."

Sens. Jim DeMint, R-S.C., and Tom Coburn, R-Okla., introduced a separate bill Friday to cut off funding for CPB.

Mark Meckler, a national coordinator for the group Tea Party Patriots, urged Congress to act in an e-mail to supporters, calling NPR a "clearly biased news organization that is out of touch with Americans across the country."

O'Keefe did not respond to e-mailed questions about the video and his decision to target NPR.

Liley said little in the video, although she can be heard laughing when one of the men says his group referred to NPR as "National Palestinian Radio." She has been placed on administrative leave, NPR said.

Re: A smile for my buddy QueeQueg

I would like to know why Poeple that fight for the right to govern themselvs is RACIST. I want to know why that if I own a " gun " why I an racist. but these same Lybrals have made it almost impossible for "white" and " Asian" to attend colledge. Now that is RACIST.

Here in California the asians grads are reduced by a large percentage, white a smaller percentage, Indian and mexican is increased, and black is increased drasticaly. They say so it is fair and would allow minors a better chance to attend colledge.

Why is it fair that my kid works his ass off for his grades gets strait A's is in reguards to attending colledge is pulled down while others are pushed up?

They were all taught by the same teachers, on the same education system, if by all accounts if all the oportunities are the same how is it fair to adjust GPA's based on ethnacisity. it is not that one race has a higher devoloped brain over the other. It is a desire for education and the parents that generally care to see that education is the first requirment.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SmithE-6</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would like to know why Poeple that fight for the right to govern themselvs is RACIST. I want to know why that if I own a " gun " why I an racist. but these same Lybrals have made it almost impossible for "white" and " Asian" to attend colledge. Now that is RACIST.

Here in California the asians grads are reduced by a large percentage, white a smaller percentage, Indian and mexican is increased, and black is increased drasticaly. They say so it is fair and would allow minors a better chance to attend colledge.

Why is it fair that my kid works his ass off for his grades gets strait A's is in reguards to attending colledge is pulled down while others are pushed up?

They were all taught by the same teachers, on the same education system, if by all accounts if all the oportunities are the same how is it fair to adjust GPA's based on ethnacisity. it is not that one race has a higher devoloped brain over the other. It is a desire for education and the parents that generally care to see that education is the first requirment. </div></div>

Putting aside your ferocious assault on spelling and grammar and the resultant irony of your rant on education, I would be very interested in any evidence you have that supports what you are stating. I admit I find it very hard to believe but recognize that it's not outside the realms of possibility.

On the whole I like NPR as the programming covers a very wide range of topics and brings some interesting facts to light. I have enough of a mental backbone to parse out the leftist crap from the useful content. Should it go private? Sure, why not. I'm sure some market forces realities would make it strive harder to present a more politically neutral perspective given it would have to appeal to a wider audience to assure survival. It would be a shame though if it were to disappear altogether.

My biggest frustration with NPR was their coverage of the protest in Arizona against their illegal aliens laws. They made it seem like Apartheid. The commentator just didn't get the idea that being in the country illegally meant that the law was being broken, he kept referring to them as 'law-abiding people'. They are not!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EventHorizon</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SmithE-6</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would like to know why Poeple that fight for the right to govern themselvs is RACIST. I want to know why that if I own a " gun " why I an racist. but these same Lybrals have made it almost impossible for "white" and " Asian" to attend colledge. Now that is RACIST.

They were all taught by the same teachers, on the same education system, if by all accounts if all the oportunities are the same how is it fair to adjust GPA's based on ethnacisity. it is not that one race has a higher devoloped brain over the other. It is a desire for education and the parents that generally care to see that education is the first requirment. </div></div>

Putting aside your ferocious assault on spelling and grammar and the resultant irony of your rant on education, I would be very interested in any evidence you have that supports what you are stating. I admit I find it very hard to believe but recognize that it's not outside the realms of possibility. </div></div>

I would be interested in that evidence as well. When I was at UC Berkley a couple of years ago all i saw were Asians. Regardless of its being a state school UCB is one of the finest schools in the nation, and consistently ranked in the top 5 grad schools in the USA.

That said, I like NPR as well. Beats tthe crap out of commercial programing. Just have to watch out for the libbys. But where is QQ....I was fully expecting one of his lovely essays.
    wink.gif

Oh boy!
    Politics and race, all in one thread!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tucker301</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh boy!
    Politics and race, all in one thread!
    </div></div>

Shut up you heretic!

(now we have religion... lol).

I don't see this as political really, just commentary.

Lay off QQ. He's still miffed about a 10-6 team not making the playoffs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GardDog223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">He's still miffed about a 10-6 team not making the playoffs. </div></div>

That's gonna leave a mark!
    grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EventHorizon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

<span style="color: #FF0000">Putting aside your ferocious assault on spelling and grammar and the resultant irony of your rant on education, I would be very interested in any evidence you have that supports what you are stating.</span> I admit I find it very hard to believe but recognize that it's not outside the realms of possibility.

On the whole I like NPR as the programming covers a very wide range of topics and brings some interesting facts to light. I have enough of a mental backbone to parse out the leftist crap from the useful content. Should it go private? Sure, why not. I'm sure some market forces realities would make it strive harder to present a more politically neutral perspective given it would have to appeal to a wider audience to assure survival. It would be a shame though if it were to disappear altogether.

My biggest frustration with NPR was their coverage of the protest in Arizona against their illegal aliens laws. They made it seem like Apartheid. The commentator just didn't get the idea that being in the country illegally meant that the law was being broken, he kept referring to them as 'law-abiding people'. They are not! </div></div>

Can you say run on sentence?

Jamie

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beck.jamie</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EventHorizon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

<span style="color: #FF0000">Putting aside your ferocious assault on spelling and grammar and the resultant irony of your rant on education, I would be very interested in any evidence you have that supports what you are stating.</span> I admit I find it very hard to believe but recognize that it's not outside the realms of possibility.

My biggest frustration with NPR was their coverage of the protest in Arizona against their illegal aliens laws. They made it seem like Apartheid. The commentator just didn't get the idea that being in the country illegally meant that the law was being broken, he kept referring to them as 'law-abiding people'. They are not! </div></div>

Jamie </div></div>

I can, and that wasn't one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tucker301</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beck.jamie</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EventHorizon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Jamie </div></div>

I can, and that wasn't one. </div></div>

Not run on but he did miss a few commas...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tucker301</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beck.jamie</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EventHorizon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Jamie </div></div>

I can, and that wasn't one. </div></div>

Not run on but he did miss a few commas... </div></div>

Hence the reason I called it a run on. Plus it can be broken down into two sentences by removing the extra "and" in the sentence and adding a period. Consequently, he could have use a semicolon too. Also, the only reason I brought it up was the irony in the sentence.

Jamie

Ironic on too many levels to count!

This story is a scream! What a bunch of frauds. And whores to boot. Yet they are always harping about Wall street or "The Rich". And then there is the old stand by: "Racism"

Christ, their denials are so predictable and boring they should charged with battery against millions of people for all the eye rolling injuries NPR is repsonsible for...

It was a good day was it not?

Event Horizon's thesis statement is grammatically correct and meters well too. I give it a solid A. Commas are often overused.

And the Bucs shoould have made the playoffs!

I hope npr does go private, why should we the taxpayer, prop up any business? Its not like their is a lack of media outlets in this country. Between television news, radio, and the interwebs, if you dont/cant keep up with whats going on, you either dont want to, or are a fucking moron.

QQ for the win!

I am however hoping for a response from the OP. If there is proof of this grade fixing I'm going to go ballistic and send my kid to a private school.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just read that same article on the Drudge can't say what I want to though... </div></div>

On thing for sure, there must a bit of a gloat from Juan Williams.

It's the silent majority that populate the lands of my state, and our country. Yet no one can step up to the plate and have the strength and support to lead us.

As for NPR, sure I listen to it when the talk-radio(mornings) on the rock stations are a bunch of screaming bumbling idiots. At least I get some *WORLD* news.

With any radio shows, it's like a buffet line; pick up the good stuff(bacon, dinner rolls, ice cream) and leave the crappy stuff behind(rubbery fish sticks, warm coleslaw, etc.)

-G45

Well; when I used to drive home from work at midnight, they had good jazz on Friday nights. Otherwise, bad for my hypertension...

Buncha rabid pinkos.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Buncha rabid pinkos. </div></div>

The worst type too Greg! The ones that run their suck about being "Non-Profit" yet lavish huge salaries, benefits and bonuses on themselves and never lose their jobs no matter how poorly they do them.

Notice the shills (Pun intended!) in question didn't lose their jobs because of their well demonstrated, cause and effect, subjective manipulation of their organization for their political allies. They lost them only because they were publicly exposed. Nevermind that there was always ample proof: Look at their actions over the last thirty years!

But now we can all feel mollified since they are gone...

Uh huh...

They'll just roll out another buncha pink puppets to slurp some more at the public trough.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    The worst type too... yet lavish huge salaries, benefits and bonuses on themselves and never lose their jobs no matter how poorly they do them.

Uh huh... </div></div>

Hey, when did this thread become about unions!?!

You slippery eel!

I guess no details are forthcoming from the OP. I'm going to see if I can dig something up on this. I admit it smacks of Ann Coulter bullshit trying to get book sales up.