• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

A tale of three Larue's (Large frame review Part 1 - OBR)

bigjake83

Golden Shellback
Minuteman
  • May 19, 2013
    Southern Idaho
    Over the past 12 years I've been addressing the shortcomings of Larue Rifles by Rebarreling and enhancing them to a level that a 4K+ rifle should perform, mostly out of necessity for myself and other shooter's who want more out of their Precision Gassers and were tired of waiting on the promise of optional Calibers like the 6.5 Creedmoor and 6mm Creedmoor.

In this review I will be discussing the modifications and enhancements I've made to my personal Larue rifles that has truly transformed them to exceptional .3 MOA rifles with 100% reliability.

As many of us know Larue Large Frame Gassers have always been in a category considered as heavily proprietary, and seem to perform best when using Larue and Larue only part's.

Due to the nature of LaRue LF rifles being designed specifically to work best with LaRue products sometimes it can be extremely frustrating for Shooters who have already spent thousands of dollars acquiring non LT suppressors that don't seem to play well (depending on Flow design) with thier current rifles and in some cases require troubleshooting and tuning of the Buffering Mass and Spring Rates and even then it can still be finicky, especially when running multiple hand loads that may be at a lower pressure compared to factory ammo ultimately causing a variety of malfunctions.

The majority of malfunctions can be contributed to LaRue's Port Select Gas system. The (PST) can be extremely effective but offers a very narrow window of operation that can negatively affect reliability when introducing any changes that may push it out of its designed operational tolerances, it's just not a one size fit all design.

Unfortunately not many people understand how the (PST) Gas Block works. Removing the Larue PST AGB isn't difficult if you know what you're doing, there's tons of incorrect information that the ignorant regurgitate and pass on especially with the ARF.COM know- it -all's.

Most think the Larue PST AGB turns off/switches between two different sized gas ports, the smaller most forward Gas Port for Surpressed and the rear largest Port for unsuppressed. While that theory would make sense that's not how it works.
    20240218_154040.jpg

20240218_153256.jpg

As mentioned above the Larue (PST) AGB and Barrels utilize two different sized ports that control the flow of gas. Keep in mind the actual Gas Block portion itself is only about 1" and the remaining is to house the parts for the port selector.

As shown below the Port Select lever actually only controls the smaller port, it doesn't even come close to the Larger port that ALWAYS remains open.
    20240218_153211.jpg

The Large port actually does double duty, when the (PST) is set in the Surpressed mode the single small port in the switch shown above in the Surpressed setting is rotated blocking off gas to the smallest gas port.

Once you throw the gas selector switch over to Unsurpassed the selector with the small port rotates over and aligns with the small Gas Block port allowing that extra gas needed to come up and to be fed/transferred back to the larger rear port feeding all the gas into one port and increasing the gas flow.

20240218_153821.jpg

As you can see from the picture above when you shine a light in the port selector bore that runs directly underneath the gas tube and it runs the entire length of both ports.

Hopefully this clears up some of the details of the (PST) and its limitations.

The OBR

There's no denying when Mark LaRue came up with the design of the OBR he truly invented something quite special, with its 100% True Free Floating barrel design and 20 MOA monolithic one peice top rail, all incorporated into probably what is the most robust heavy duty receiver and handguard design that is damn near indestructible.

Over the years I've Rebarreled more Large and Small Frame OBR's than I can count. There are some slight differences between the two, they both directly attach the handguard to the uppper by four Torx screws but the Large frame uses a direct attachment to the handguard / Mono 20 MOA top rail and the small frame utilizes a type of tongue and groove design that secures the handguard by pinching the 10 MOA monorail in place.
    IMG_20220322_160818739~2.jpg

Throughout all the Larue's I've worked on I've come across a few that where in fact not free floating due to the barrel nut making contact inside the handguard, mostly OBR's. It pays to remove your handguard and look for obvious signs of the barrel nut making contact. To alleviate this issue I just removed material from inside the handguard around where the barrel nut sits.
    20240215_203401.jpg
    20240215_203420.jpg

With the OBR having a shorter Handguard I decided to have Paul Ross turn me a Custom 18" 6.5CM Bartlein.

Starting from the Muzzle Brake to the Stock here is the build list breakdown as it currently sits.

Area 419 Hellfire Match 6.5 Muzzle Brake.

Custom 18" 6.5CM / 4 Groove Bartlein/ M110 Contour / Oversized Barrel extension for mandatory thermofit / 1-8 Twist / .875 Gas Block Journal/ 5/8x24 Threads and Rifle Length Gas System headspaced to the Updated Larue HP Small Firing Pin bolt, and have since upgraded to all Larue HP bolts.

Seekins Precision switch lever .875 Adjustable Gas Block. (Will be replacing with a Rifle Speed AGB). Again having the capability to fine tune the gas system over the Larue PST has been a fantastic upgrade that has solved any and all functioning issues no matter what ammo or suppressors are used on the rifle.

Battle Arms Development 60/90 Ambi Safety.

Ergo Grip

Raidian Raptor Ambi Charging Handle.

Due to the Short 18" 6.5CM with RLG I'm running a H3 JP SCS with the stiffest Red/Yellow Spring inside a Dark Hour 11 position Carbine Biffer tube that allows for ultra fine Length of Pull Adjustments when running a stock like the B5 Precision, I have since moved back to the Magpul PRS Lite Adjustable Stock.

JP Ambi Magazine Releases.

Triggertech AR10 Two Stage Diamond with Pro Curved Trigger Shoe.

IMG_20201029_231914057.jpg

20240215_185940.jpg

Screenshot_20240215_215032_Gallery.jpg

20240215_183606~2.jpg

The original barrel was a LW-50 Pre XTRAXN and shot decent with a consistent .75 MOA average. As I'm sure everyone here has heard tales from LaRue Fanboys how thier OBR is a Sub Half MOA all day gun, but in reality the people who boast about their accuracy try to substantiate these claims by posting a few cherry picked groups. I don't think I've ever seen anyone shoot a 6x5 to show thier true MOA average.

The Upgrades on this have truly transformed the rifle in to what a 4K + Gasser should be with a honest Sub Half MOA average.

While performing load development the OBR still averaged Sub 1/2" MOA.
    IMG_20230119_200302405.jpg

I ended up selecting 140 ELD /40.4gr H4350 / Lapua SRP Brass / CCI BR4 Primers. Most of my 6.5CM Bartlein Barrels that Paul Ross turned all shoot this load very well.

IMG_20230204_132337515~2.jpg
    IMG_20230204_125856568.jpg

Part (2) .308 FDE PredatAR Coming tomorrow. 28MAR24

Part (3) PredatOBR .308/6.5CM Coming 29MAR24

Screenshot_20240215_215032_Gallery.jpg

Attachments

• 20230923_192715.jpg
      20230923_192715.jpg
      889.1 KB · Views: 35
    Last edited:
    This is a great pic showing what I’m assuming are the HP .068” Firing Pin aperture bolt vs a legacy .086” FP aperture bolt:

img_20201029_231914057-jpg.8382913

Have you ever seen ejector channel extrusion signs with that nice, large ejector? It seems like moving it outwards from the bore line would help alleviate brass extrusion into the channel. Very cool. I didn’t know he did that on the Large Frames.

That deal he had going with LF UU kits was a steal when it was on.

I didn’t realize the PST worked like that. Very insightful review on some of the unique features to that design.

This is a great pic showing what I’m assuming are the HP .068” Firing Pin aperture bolt vs a legacy .086” FP aperture bolt:

Have you ever seen ejector channel extrusion signs with that nice, large ejector? It seems like moving it outwards from the bore line would help alleviate brass extrusion into the channel. Very cool. I didn’t know he did that on the Large Frames.

I didn’t realize the PST worked like that. Very insightful review on some of the unique features to that design.

I believe the new HP bolts use a .058 or .060 diameter size firing pin I can double check once I get back in town, it's definitely not a .068, I know Lantac uses a .068 firing pin as a happy medium between the two exstreams.

As for the ejector absolutely no extrusion, the increased larger surface area on the ejector really helps spread the pressure out without any damage to the case head.

I'll also make a point to post some pics of the fired cases using these bolts.

Nice work Jake!

Has Riflespeed released the .875” gas blocks yet? I used the .750” models on two builds and they are fantastic.

Also, have you been able to buy the new HP bolts from LaRue?

The UU kit being as cheap as it was is what got me into 6.5G. Couldn't say no to an assembled upper and LPK for sub-$800 shipped. I picked up a lower on a BF sale and sold MBT-2 and Tranquillo MB/suppressor mount, giving me a sub-$700 6.5G rifle that's around 1 MOA with my 123gr ELD-M handloads.

Awesome write up. What a great way to start my morning.

I feel like I should buy you a great dinner and drinks... Lol

I am very much looking forward to your follow ups.

Thank you !

$325 for the bolt and all that extra crap...
    JP only charges $215 for one of their high pressure bolts.

$325 for the bolt and all that extra crap...
    JP only charges $215 for one of their high pressure bolts.

Yeah if you already have a JP BCG it's definitely the cheaper route. I decided to stick with the Larue BCG for a couple of reasons.

LaRue uses a ArmaLite Style Springed firing pin which I prefer in large frame gassers over a floating firing pin like the JP. The new Larue HP Bolts also have the wide ejector that spreads the pressure more evenly eliminating ejector swipes even when running high pressure loads and the weight of the LT BCG at 1lb 2oz works really well when running suppressed.

Appreciate the write up. I've never handled the Larue "quick detach" handguards in person, how would they compare to the traditional handguard they provide on the standalone uppers? Do they stay tight over time?

Yeah if you already have a JP BCG it's definitely the cheaper route. I decided to stick with the Larue BCG for a couple of reasons.

LaRue uses a ArmaLite Style Springed firing pin which I prefer in large frame gassers over a floating firing pin like the JP. The new Larue HP Bolts also have the wide ejector that spreads the pressure more evenly eliminating ejector swipes even when running high pressure loads and the weight of the LT BCG at 1lb 2oz works really well when running suppressed.
    I did not know they were using sprung firing pins in the Large Frames.

KAC went that route as well.

It really is the way for the .308/.260 Rem/6.5CM class of cartridges. Unsprung LF guns can have a surprising amount of firing pin velocity/momentum to the rear, which beats the crap out of FP Retaining Pins.

I’ve not had that problem in the AR-15, though I have seen coverage of some really large gas-ported CLGS guns that beat their internals up on SOTAR (Black Rain Orifice), including FPRP.

I did not know they were using sprung firing pins in the Large Frames.

KAC went that route as well.

It really is the way for the .308/.260 Rem/6.5CM class of cartridges. Unsprung LF guns can have a surprising amount of firing pin velocity/momentum to the rear, which beats the crap out of FP Retaining Pins.

I’ve not had that problem in the AR-15, though I have seen coverage of some really large gas-ported CLGS guns that beat their internals up on SOTAR (Black Rain Orifice), including FPRP.
    20240318_132554.jpg

Yeah you can see the sprung Larue .308 Firing Pin in the upper left corner and thier AR15 in the bottom left with the standard floating firing pin.

Appreciate the write up. I've never handled the Larue "quick detach" handguards in person, how would they compare to the traditional handguard they provide on the standalone uppers? Do they stay tight over time?

Yes they stay tight, Inside on both of the latches it has a set screw tension adjuster that adjust the latches closer to the handguard less torque and further away for more.

Over the past 12 years I've been addressing the shortcomings of Larue Rifles by Rebarreling and enhancing them to a level that a 4K+ rifle should perform, mostly out of necessity for myself and other shooter's who want more out of their Precision Gassers and were tired of waiting on the promise of optional Calibers like the 6.5 Creedmoor and 6mm Creedmoor.

In this review I will be discussing the modifications and enhancements I've made to my personal Larue rifles that has truly transformed them to exceptional .3 MOA rifles with 100% reliability.

As many of us know Larue Large Frame Gassers have always been in a category considered as heavily proprietary, and seem to perform best when using Larue and Larue only part's.

Due to the nature of LaRue LF rifles being designed specifically to work best with LaRue products sometimes it can be extremely frustrating for Shooters who have already spent thousands of dollars acquiring non LT suppressors that don't seem to play well (depending on Flow design) with thier current rifles and in some cases require troubleshooting and tuning of the Buffering Mass and Spring Rates and even then it can still be finicky, especially when running multiple hand loads that may be at a lower pressure compared to factory ammo ultimately causing a variety of malfunctions.

The majority of malfunctions can be contributed to LaRue's Port Select Gas system. The (PST) can be extremely effective but offers a very narrow window of operation that can negatively affect reliability when introducing any changes that may push it out of its designed operational tolerances, it's just not a one size fit all design.

Unfortunately not many people understand how the (PST) Gas Block works. Removing the Larue PST AGB isn't difficult if you know what you're doing, there's tons of incorrect information that the ignorant regurgitate and pass on especially with the ARF.COM know- it -all's.

Most think the Larue PST AGB turns off/switches between two different sized gas ports, the smaller most forward Gas Port for Surpressed and the rear largest Port for unsuppressed. While that theory would make sense that's not how it works.
    View attachment 8382782
    View attachment 8382789
    As mentioned above the Larue (PST) AGB and Barrels utilize two different sized ports that control the flow of gas. Keep in mind the actual Gas Block portion itself is only about 1" and the remaining is to house the parts for the port selector.

As shown below the Port Select lever actually only controls the smaller port, it doesn't even come close to the Larger port that ALWAYS remains open.
    View attachment 8382787

The Large port actually does double duty, when the (PST) is set in the Surpressed mode the single small port in the switch shown above in the Surpressed setting is rotated blocking off gas to the smallest gas port.

Once you throw the gas selector switch over to Unsurpassed the selector with the small port rotates over and aligns with the small Gas Block port allowing that extra gas needed to come up and to be fed/transferred back to the larger rear port feeding all the gas into one port and increasing the gas flow.

View attachment 8382790

As you can see from the picture above when you shine a light in the port selector bore that runs directly underneath the gas tube and it runs the entire length of both ports.

Hopefully this clears up some of the details of the (PST) and its limitations.

The OBR

There's no denying when Mark LaRue came up with the design of the OBR he truly invented something quite special, with its 100% True Free Floating barrel design and 20 MOA monolithic one peice top rail, all incorporated into probably what is the most robust heavy duty receiver and handguard design that is damn near indestructible.

Over the years I've Rebarreled more Large and Small Frame OBR's than I can count. There are some slight differences between the two, they both directly attach the handguard to the uppper by four Torx screws but the Large frame uses a direct attachment to the handguard / Mono 20 MOA top rail and the small frame utilizes a type of tongue and groove design that secures the handguard by pinching the 10 MOA monorail in place.
    View attachment 8382905

Throughout all the Larue's I've worked on I've come across a few that where in fact not free floating due to the barrel nut making contact inside the handguard, mostly OBR's. It pays to remove your handguard and look for obvious signs of the barrel nut making contact. To alleviate this issue I just removed material from inside the handguard around where the barrel nut sits.
    View attachment 8382906View attachment 8382907

With the OBR having a shorter Handguard I decided to have Paul Ross turn me a Custom 18" 6.5CM Bartlein.

Starting from the Muzzle Brake to the Stock here is the build list breakdown as it currently sits.

Area 419 Hellfire Match 6.5 Muzzle Brake.

Custom 18" 4 Groove Bartlein/ M110 Contour / Oversized Barrel extension for mandatory thermofit / 1-8 Twist / .875 Gas Block Journal/ 5/8x24 Threads and Rifle Length Gas System headspaced to the Updated Larue HP Small Firing Pin bolt, and have since upgraded to all Larue HP bolts.

Seekins Precision switch lever .875 Adjustable Gas Block. (Will be replacing with a Rifle Speed AGB). Again having the capability to fine tune the gas system over the Larue PST has been a fantastic upgrade that has solved any and all functioning issues no matter what ammo or suppressors are used on the rifle.

Battle Arms Development 60/90 Ambi Safety.

Ergo Grip

Raidian Raptor Ambi Charging Handle.

Due to the Short 18" 6.5CM with RLG I'm running a H3 JP SCS with the stiffest Red/Yellow Spring inside a Dark Hour 11 position Carbine Biffer tube that allows for ultra fine Length of Pull Adjustments when running a stock like the B5 Precision, I have since moved back to the Magpul PRS Lite Adjustable Stock.

JP Ambi Magazine Releases.

Triggertech AR10 Two Stage Diamond with Pro Curved Trigger Shoe.

View attachment 8382913
    View attachment 8382930
    View attachment 8382941
    View attachment 8382946

The original barrel was a LW-50 Pre XTRAXN and shot decent with a consistent .75 MOA average. As I'm sure everyone here has heard tales from LaRue Fanboys how thier OBR is a Sub Half MOA all day gun, but in reality the people who boast about their accuracy try to substantiate these claims by posting a few cherry picked groups. I don't think I've ever seen anyone shoot a 6x5 to show thier true MOA average.

The Upgrades on this have truly transformed the rifle in to what a 4K + Gasser should be with a honest Sub Half MOA average.

While performing load development the OBR still averaged Sub 1/2" MOA.
    View attachment 8382970
    I ended up selecting 140 ELD /40.4gr H4350 / Lapua SRP Brass / CCI BR4 Primers. Most of my 6.5CM Bartlein Barrels that Paul Ross turned all shoot this load very well.

View attachment 8382980View attachment 8382976

Part (2) .308 FDE PredatAR Coming tomorrow. 28MAR24

Part (3) PredatOBR .308/6.5CM Coming 29MAR24

View attachment 8383078
    Out-Fucking-Standing Post

@bigjake83 appreciate your post. I see you run the Area 419 Match Break. Have you experimented with other brakes/comps? I have a JP 20” 308 LRP-07 / LTI-23 and think I can eliminate some recoil / muzzle rise with a different break/comp over the JP 2 port break/comp. I also run the A419 MB on a bolt gun and like the APA FB G3, I think the tunable top gas ports do help. Not a lot of experience with large frame gas gun brakes, so interested in your thoughts. Thanks for your time and effort.

Last edited:
    @bigjake83 appreciate your post. I see you run the Area 419 Match Break. Have you experimented with other brakes/comps? I have a JP 20” 308 LRP-07 / LTI-23 and think I can eliminate some recoil / muzzle rise with a different break/comp over the JP 2 port break/comp. I also run the A419 MB on a bolt gun and like the APA FB G3, I think the tunable top gas ports do help. Not a lot of experience with large frame gas gun brakes, so interested in your thoughts. Thanks for your time and effort.

Out of the four main Muzzle Brakes I run, Area 419 Hellfire and Hellfire Match, APA Gen3 LB, Precision Armament Hypertap....

The most effective Muzzle Brake, I'd say it's a tie between the APA Gen3 LB and the Precision Armament Hypertap Full Body. Both can be tuned for Directional Gas Flow and Barrel Harmonics.

Reactions: nickw and simonp
    Thanks for the solid review and tech.

My only experience with an OBR is one that a friend has in 260. He has had it about 5 years, and not only have I seen him shoot some great groups with it- typically sub 1/2 MOA, the gun has been super reliable.